Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
March ain't that far away. So if u see one u like u better buy now hell I like foretravel 320 so far that looks like a good unit from the dealer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
When we went full-time the must haves were 1 1/2 baths, large shower, DP, oven, 4 slides.
After living in it for a year, replaced oven with dishwasher. Replaced sofas with large recliners (1 is a relax-the-back) and jack-knife sofa. Replaced rear bath sink with a large residential sink.
Wish we had a FULL length closest. Sometimes wish we were a bit shorter so we could use more parks, but it hasn't been a huge issue.
For us, floor plan was everything.
Hi again!
So you found you didn't use the oven? We haven't had one since 1997 but then we haven't gone full time for reasons you already know!
We don't have a dishwasher either as both of us think it'd be just an expensive storage drawer!
We did take out the Stress Less chair and replaced it with a La Z Boy rocker/recliner. The Stress Less unit looked nice but just wasn't comfortable for either of us.
Deen
Great time at lunch yesterday! Cindy commented on how much you helped her.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Very, very nice.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Thanks for the input. I like the 37GT floorpan and layout but I hadn't given gas too much thought as I was thinking DP. What has been your experience with the Gas engine? Does it have enough power and what is the sound level in the coach while driving?
If you are looking in the 150k range for a DP then you are most likely looking at used??? We bought used with only 2000 mi. and saved a 1/3rd on the price. I like the gas because I do all of my own maintenance and I found the gas is a much simpler RV to work on than a DP. I have not owned a DP so I cant tell you if one is better than the other. I have 10000 miles on own gas and have had no problems. To find out if a gas engine is loud or not just go and drive one at a dealer to see if you like it or not. Its what I did. We want as new as possible is one of the reasons we went with gas. The dp in our price range where older with old style layouts. Good luck to you and hope you find the one for you.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #47

AS a mechanic/motorhome owner gas is for smaller units,mainly local use.Dosent mean you cant tour the country but diesel pushers are queiter and more powerful.Make a list of the things you like in the motorhomes you look at,spend a lot of time looking on the internet at used units.Good places to lookare PPL in texas[nice website with floorplans and pictures]also a lot on camping world but seems not a good place to buy.As to brands look at Newmar,Tiffin Monaco American coach and other highline coaches.I prefer the diesel engine to be pre 2007 due to the complex emission systems.Side radiator is better but not a deal killer.The wife must be happly with the floorplan[happy wife =happy life].After looking at dozens of used motorhomes we went 700 miles and bought a 03 38 tiffin phaeton some renovation and everyone happy.Good luck on your search,take your time,all salesmenand women are pushey and dont care about you after the sale id completed. Ronster and Nancy..and the dogs
Old 10-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #48

I would and did buy a low milage 1999, 30 ft. Ford Class C.

I know that if the powertrain goes, It is about the most common one to replace.

The E series parts are plentyfull and cheap. The engine comes out the front, not the bottom or living room.

Being a retired heavy equipment mechanic, if I can get it to a family members house, I can do the work myself.

Most importantly, it fits my budget.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My preference is any Newmar DP. Products 2005-10. Stay away from the newer CAT diesels 2007-10 with Smog controls they are trouble and CAT is no longer in the OTR engine business. Also I would suggest a side radiator chassis instead of a rear radiator. Easier to access the engine. You mentioned Entegra coaches, before they were Entegra they were Travel Supreme. Same company. NEWMAR and Entegra/Travel Supreme (up until a few years ago) built on Spartan Chassis with Cummins engines. I feel they are the one of the best chassis around. The 2005-09 Monaco is also a great product Their RR10S chassis is one of the best handling and riding chassis out there (too bad the newer coaches are not using it) it rides on 8 airbags +2 with a tag axle. I would also suggest a 42' bath and a half (his and hers) makes it easier to get ready in the morning and it has a tag axle (more stable in winds and trucks passing you) and 4 slides. If you look at Tiffin stick with the Allegro Bus. Side Radiator and Cummins 400-25 HP engines.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
AS a mechanic/motorhome owner gas is for smaller units,mainly local use.Dosent mean you cant tour the country but diesel pushers are queiter and more powerful.Make a list of the things you like in the motorhomes you look at,spend a lot of time looking on the internet at used units.Good places to lookare PPL in texas[nice website with floorplans and pictures]also a lot on camping world but seems not a good place to buy.As to brands look at Newmar,Tiffin Monaco American coach and other highline coaches.I prefer the diesel engine to be pre 2007 due to the complex emission systems.Side radiator is better but not a deal killer.The wife must be happly with the floorplan[happy wife =happy life].After looking at dozens of used motorhomes we went 700 miles and bought a 03 38 tiffin phaeton some renovation and everyone happy.Good luck on your search,take your time,all salesmenand women are pushey and dont care about you after the sale id completed. Ronster and Nancy..and the dogs
Dittos!!!! Absolutely correct and do your home work. Most Salespeople know next to nothing or for that matter NOTHING about Motorhomes they just sell them. They will tell you anything to make the sale if they think they can get away with it. Happy Hunting and keep us posted.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
My preference is any Newmar DP. Products 2005-10. Stay away from the newer CAT diesels 2007-10 with Smog controls they are trouble and CAT is no longer in the OTR engine business. Also I would suggest a side radiator chassis instead of a rear radiator. Easier to access the engine. You mentioned Entegra coaches, before they were Entegra they were Travel Supreme. Same company. NEWMAR and Entegra/Travel Supreme (up until a few years ago) built on Spartan Chassis with Cummins engines. I feel they are the one of the best chassis around. The 2005-09 Monaco is also a great product Their RR10S chassis is one of the best handling and riding chassis out there (too bad the newer coaches are not using it) it rides on 8 airbags +2 with a tag axle. I would also suggest a 42' bath and a half (his and hers) makes it easier to get ready in the morning and it has a tag axle (more stable in winds and trucks passing you) and 4 slides. If you look at Tiffin stick with the Allegro Bus. Side Radiator and Cummins 400-25 HP engines.
Great inputs. I really like the 2005-2006 Monaco Signature RVs. They are beautiful, have many features and are affordable in my price range.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Great inputs. I really like the 2005-2006 Monaco Signature RVs. They are beautiful, have many features and are affordable in my price range.

I missed a question you asked me concerning what I liked most about my coach. We are in the Keys and have been out & about and I just missed your post.

1. Utter reliability. The drivetrain has been bulletproof. The house related systems in the coach have continued to work as advertised and have never left us with some overwhelming issue.
2. The chassis is so stiff and strong that it was a perfect platform to do an interior remodel after 4 years of full time living.
3. The interior of the coach has never felt "dated". The furniture is well built and substantial and the cabinetry is solid cherry wood.
4. The exterior of the coach also doesn't show its age. As a full timer, it has been out in the elements 24/7/365 for at least the last 9 years. When people ask how old it is they are astounded to hear that it's an '03 model.
5. Very livable layout/floorplan. We don't feel confined.
6. We have been it the coach when it's zero and when it's over 100. We have been comfortable in both cases.

I was surprised once, when we ran out of fuel on the exit ramp between I75 south and I4 east. Did I mention that is was 5 PM rush hour? Completely my fault. I had started a calibration procedure on the fuel gauge because the switch to ULSD had made the full reading a little off. The result was that my gauge was wildly inaccurate for a trip. I was headed off to get fuel at the Flying J at Lazy Days & ran out. It was not a fun experience, but I can't blame the coach.

Here is a coach that is available currently:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/5253312691.html

The owner is a friend and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #53

What would I buy?

Exactly what we have bought 2 years ago. Just back from 2 week vacation and it performed flawlessly. Running costs so far approx. $70.00 for 2 oil changes and another one b4 we store it for the winter. Modern layout and interior, very livable, quiet and smooth riding. What more could we need?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I missed a question you asked me concerning what I liked most about my coach. We are in the Keys and have been out & about and I just missed your post.

1. Utter reliability. The drivetrain has been bulletproof. The house related systems in the coach have continued to work as advertised and have never left us with some overwhelming issue.
2. The chassis is so stiff and strong that it was a perfect platform to do an interior remodel after 4 years of full time living.
3. The interior of the coach has never felt "dated". The furniture is well built and substantial and the cabinetry is solid cherry wood.
4. The exterior of the coach also doesn't show its age. As a full timer, it has been out in the elements 24/7/365 for at least the last 9 years. When people ask how old it is they are astounded to hear that it's an '03 model.
5. Very livable layout/floorplan. We don't feel confined.
6. We have been it the coach when it's zero and when it's over 100. We have been comfortable in both cases.

I was surprised once, when we ran out of fuel on the exit ramp between I75 south and I4 east. Did I mention that is was 5 PM rush hour? Completely my fault. I had started a calibration procedure on the fuel gauge because the switch to ULSD had made the full reading a little off. The result was that my gauge was wildly inaccurate for a trip. I was headed off to get fuel at the Flying J at Lazy Days & ran out. It was not a fun experience, but I can't blame the coach.

Here is a coach that is available currently:

GORGEOUS Monaco SIGNATURE - All-Electric - Quad 45' - THIS is as GOOD as it GETS

The owner is a friend and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Thanks Steve,
When I scan the Monaco Signatures in the timeframes of 2003 - 2007, they are all absolutely gorgeous with many features I didn't realize were available at that time. I know that Monaco went through hard times in 2009 but I don't have any concern buying coaches in the 2003-2007 range. They seem to offer the best bang for my budget. Thanks again and who knows, maybe we will see you on the road next year. Thanks for all the good advice.

By the way, I am sure that your friend will sell the coach by the time I buy but if he doesn't, I would buy that coach in a heartbeat.

Mark
Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #55

I would most likely go with a DP if going full time. Obviously that means a used unit in the 150K range.
For me it would have to be the ride and silence of the rear mount diesel engine and air suspension. My gasser handles and tows just fine. But I could never imagine taking it cross country numerous times. Sure it can be done; but enjoyably?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #56

NEWMAR