Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

What would you buy?

Hi Everyone,

My first post although I have been following the forum for awhile. Recently I elected to take early retirement from my company and will be retiring on March 4, 2016. My wife and I will be selling my house, buying an RV, and spending half the year down in Florida and half the year up north, most likely Maine. Eventually I want to see all of the US so we expect to travel a fair amount. The RV will be our home for at least 5 years.

I expect to spend approximately $150K for a used Class A MH. I see many MHs for sale in this price range that I would seriously consider.

My question to all of you seasoned RVers is "What RV make and model would you buy and why?

Thanks for your advice.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Really open question. I will give you a general response. IMO used coaches are all OK if you stay with the brand names and do your homework.

Since you are buying used you have many brands to consider.

I would look for floor plan that will work for you. As your residence you will spend many days in it, some days will be enforced confinement due to inclement weather. Can you and DW enjoy your time.

What features do you want? All electric, residential fridge, stackables, comfortable couches, queen or king bed. These are items that are difficult to change after without considerable cost.

Once you find something to consider a detailed check by a qualified tech and mechanic plus a test drive should tell you if the unit meets your expectations and will work for you. Does not matter what you buy you will have to do maintenance on it.

No matter how "good" an unit you purchase if you do not maintain it you will have a less than optimal experience.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If it is just you and the wife then I would look at what we have it is in your price range. It is a great layout for two people. Big living room and kitchen, two sinks in the bathroom and a queen bed. The layout is the most important thing to look for. Spend a lot of time looking at dealers and going to rv shows it will pay off in the end.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Start with a floorplan that will work for you. Then, if you plan to tow a vehicle decide what you will be towing and how. With a dolly, four wheels down, or maybe even a trailer. Knowing your floorplan and towing requirements will very quickly narrow your search for you.

Just about any brand of used motorhome would have most of the kinks worked out of it by the time you are there to see it. And any of them will last at least five years. Seriously, every single brand, make, and model has their issues. You can experience a catastrophic failure on a "high-end" brand and model, and you can have a perfectly carefree enjoyable five years with a "low-end, starter" brand and model, you really never know. Just read the various owner forums for each and every brand, they ALL have issues, but your's may not.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. My question is what would you buy?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My first post although I have been following the forum for awhile. Recently I elected to take early retirement from my company and will be retiring on March 4, 2016. My wife and I will be selling my house, buying an RV, and spending half the year down in Florida and half the year up north, most likely Maine. Eventually I want to see all of the US so we expect to travel a fair amount. The RV will be our home for at least 5 years.

I expect to spend approximately $150K for a used Class A MH. I see many MHs for sale in this price range that I would seriously consider.

My question to all of you seasoned RVers is "What RV make and model would you buy and why?

Thanks for your advice.

Congratulations on your pending retirement and your lifestyle choice. I can't tell you definitively what will serve you the best but I can share with you my experience.

In 2006 I was in the situation that you find yourself in. My early retirement was scheduled for April Fools Day 2007. In May of '06 we found and purchased our full timing coach, an '03 Monaco Signature. We took a few short trips & learned the coach and its many systems and moved in full time in April, 2007. We are still full time in that same coach. We can't imagine a more reliable and comfortable home.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
If it is just you and the wife then I would look at what we have it is in your price range. It is a great layout for two people. Big living room and kitchen, two sinks in the bathroom and a queen bed. The layout is the most important thing to look for. Spend a lot of time looking at dealers and going to rv shows it will pay off in the end.

Thanks for the input. I like the 37GT floorpan and layout but I hadn't given gas too much thought as I was thinking DP. What has been your experience with the Gas engine? Does it have enough power and what is the sound level in the coach while driving?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Congratulations on your pending retirement and your lifestyle choice. I can't tell you definitively what will serve you the best but I can share with you my experience.

In 2006 I was in the situation that you find yourself in. My early retirement was scheduled for April Fools Day 2007. In May of '06 we found and purchased our full timing coach, an '03 Monaco Signature. We took a few short trips & learned the coach and its many systems and moved in full time in April, 2007. We are still full time in that same coach. We can't imagine a more reliable and comfortable home.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Thanks Steve,

That's great to hear. I am impressed with the look and feel of the Monaco. What are the things you like most about your coach and what are the things you would change if you could? Did you have many unschedule maintenance surprises?

Best Regards,
Old 10-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My quick answer would be a 08-10 Newmar product. dutchstar, ventana or even mountain air if you can find one. Try to get the Oasis heating system and check the tire condition. Much more of course but that is my quick answer. hope this helps - mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whether a DP or gas, floor-plan is what matters IMHO. We bought gas, hated the big maintenance cost of the diesel. I can't pull a 30k trailer, put I don't need to.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
Whether a DP or gas, floor-plan is what matters IMHO. We bought gas, hated the big maintenance cost of the diesel. I can't pull a 30k trailer, put I don't need to.
Thanks for the input. Regarding floor plans, what floor plan do you like and why? I have heard most people say to select the floorpan first but I can't say that I fully understand all the reasons why. I tend to like the L shaped couch with opposing recliner but I am not sure I would turn down an RV just because it had another floorplan.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #12

We love our 37 foot DP, but have found a number of camp sites that will not fit anything over 35 feet. If I were in the market for another, I would be looking at 32 to 34 feet. IMO, over 28 feet, diesel is the way to go.

Regarding floorplan, watch out for any that don't allow access to the toilet area without putting out the slide. Less important, but a small nit pick is not being able to see the living room TV without the slide out (mine suffers from this oversight)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your advice.
That's a loaded questions that will only be resolved after you and your SO spend a lot of time looking at and driving motor homes near and far.

For $150k you can either buy a nice NEW MH or a VERY NICE used class A. Once you've spent lots of time looking and driving (as many of us have done), then it become a mater of preference. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!!"

You will eventually find the coach that feels right to you. But with the time you have ahead of you, don't rush the process. But most of all, have FUN with the process.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #14

My 2000 31' Hurricane with the Ford V-10 is noisy up front and rougher riding with spring suspension. My 2003 35' Expedition DP is much quieter up front and has air ride.

If I was spending 5 years on the road, it would definitely be with a DP that has slide-outs and in the 35'-40' range.

Floor plan - ask your wife.

Best manufacturer - who knows. I saw a $1/2 million 45' coach totally destroyed in an off-the-highway excursion that you would have thought had better structure.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote