Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Speedpeddler,
I to know my way around a vehicle. Wife and I bought a used D/P and had it towed home in first outing. Reason, It set longer than being drove and a check valve in front of 1st fuel filter was plugged. Now it sit for 3 days while I researched and made phone calls and finally just dove in and found prob. It's a Holiday Rambler Imperial. Our son in Law got us 2.99 financing for 5 yrs.BUT, I've chased loose water connections and some other very minor probs. but some a le-man might not tackle. We've been fulltimeing in it for 2 yrs now and I still am Loving It! Look for Repossessed High end coaches and you'll be in good shape once you've gotten it out an dabout. Oh, I usually drive around 65mph and are getting 8.5 to 9.8 mpg. 350 Cummings.
Good Luck and Hppy RVing
Larry and Dannel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Look for the M.H. in a state that has no sales tax.
But if you fine one in a state that has sale tax make them take it to a state that does not have the sale tax.
But be sure you keep it out of the state long enough so when you bring it home you can license it with out paying the sale tax.
Just a thought.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would invest the $100k
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Not a real tough question.
Personally, I would go looking for a 05-08 Newmar Dutchstar 42' Tag with a 450HP Cummins with a floor plan I like. That would be IF I got tired of my 03.
What's your opinion of a 2005 40' Dutchstar with the 370 Cummings and about 50,000 miles for 95 K? I like the quality of the Newmars interior as well as the Monaco's.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would invest the $100k
In what? It' already in a CD making a whopping 1.3 percent and I' not getting any younger.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Forget the tax evasion and gambling suggestions...why add worry and anxiety to your life? A CD certificate in a file folder will not bring happiness either, unless you own the bank. Hey...we are spending our kids' inheritance and having the time of our lives.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy land around Moab UT and build a RV like this.
You can billt em biger or smaller. and it doen't take forever to do.
I am at $7300 into this one.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #22

A nice 5-7 year old Winnebago DP. They make a high quality coach.

But I'm biased, as mine is going strong at 6 years old.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #23

You really have to try and determine what your lifestyle is... which can be hard without doing it (a chicken and egg type issue, I know).

Some folks travel and spend almost all their time outdoors, always pulling out chairs and starting a fire. For them, a Sprinter-based rig could easily make the most sense with today's fuel costs. And heck, the Winnebago Via is slightly larger (Sprinter based Class A) but gets great mileage, has decent space, but big enough holding tanks to boondock / dry camp for several days at a time. Such smaller rigs also have the advantage of really being able to go almost anywhere, so you might not have to rent a car as much.

On the other hand, you might be the kind of person that spends the evenings inside watching satellite TV or getting online. So a larger coach with room to move around can be worth it (and, in truth, you need to drive some of the 36'+ diesels to see how maneuverable they really are).

Floorplans and what's important "how would I live in this" are the final thing to consider. For us, as an example, we often travel so we can be together as a family when I am working at locations for 2-3 weeks at a time. So we have to assume that sometimes the weather won't be ideal, and we want plenty of space for our two crazy Cairn Terriers to run around -- so for us, floor space in the living room (as compared to seating space) was a premium.

And if you are truly cranking in the miles, I think you'll be happier with the engine way at the back where you don't have to hear it... but that's just my preference.

Steve
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #24

I see you are in Florida. If your plans include traveling much in the Western states or Western Canada you will want the greater power of a Diesel Pusher and as was pointed out to me by 'barbaraok' you want the exhaust brake for the down grades. I use the exhaust brake so much, I forgot its value. In the Rockies, bigger engines are better.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8dave View Post
I see you are in Florida. If your plans include traveling much in the Western states or Western Canada you will want the greater power of a Diesel Pusher and as was pointed out to me by 'barbaraok' you want the exhaust brake for the down grades. I use the exhaust brake so much, I forgot its value. In the Rockies, bigger engines are better.
I've been in the Drag Racing business all my life as a participant and manufacturer so getting the biggest, most powerful engine is one of the things at the top of my list. Mileage isn't really a concern since Class A's seem to get awful mileage no matter what size engine and I'd rather have the power.

Basically, I want to be as comfortable on the road as I am at home.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #26

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Not a real tough question.
Personally, I would go looking for a 05-08 Newmar Dutchstar 42' Tag with a 450HP Cummins with a floor plan I like. That would be IF I got tired of my 03.
where can We buy a 2008 newmar 450HP cummins 42 tag for 100K
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #27

You want power and comfort, you can get it in a Foretravel. High end coach’s and very well built. Google Foretravel and read up on them. You could say I am basis, but it is what it is.
alfalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #28

Some of the Beaver/Monaco models give a nice bang for the buck.