Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #43

Sounds good untill you come across motels overrun by bugs, and you start to think of who slept in that bed last night. Oh, and don't forget that carpet with the stains, that always feels greasy when you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

First off I wouldn't disregard a Class A gasser as they are capable of towing sometimes better than DP's and gas is cheaper than diesel.

Another point is how long do you intend to keep the DP? Also are you going to service the engine yourself or have it done? Oil changes with all the filters can be in the excess of $200.00. Turbo chargers are in the range of $2500.00. Hope I'm not scaring you.

As for paying for it I would take out a loan or a second mortgage as the interest is tax deductible since it is a second home unless you already have a second home. I also agree withe the post don't spend all of the $100k as you may need it for repairs.

Anyway you do it enjoy the rv lifestyle as there is nothing finer.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Steve - you & I are probably among the "few & far between" ... A mechanic never touched my diesel boat engine in 18 years of cruising - not so sure this will be the case with my V10 as I have to get to know it a bit before digging in. Hope I don't have to - my hidden point was the guy who has to use mechanics & service departments is going to come away with a significant savings by going gas over diesel. Obviously, this only matters when something doesn't go right with either motor. You're right - different strokes for different folks!! Happy Holidays everyone.
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Still recommend that you buy the best quality and largest that you can afford. I have never had a problem with a state park or national park in the past three years and I have stayed at more than 10. My dynasty is 42'. In addition to helping provide a superior ride, the tag axle (lifted) allows you to make some very tight turns, especially when backing into a spot. Also, remember that when you get ready to sell, the higher end coach will usually be more marketable.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Still recommend that you buy the best quality and largest that you can afford. I have never had a problem with a state park or national park in the past three years and I have stayed at more than 10. My dynasty is 42'. In addition to helping provide a superior ride, the tag axle (lifted) allows you to make some very tight turns, especially when backing into a spot. Also, remember that when you get ready to sell, the higher end coach will usually be more marketable.
You might look into a warranty. I have the good sams warranty. I bought it because it was a used coach and I did not know what problems I migh have. I bought a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus last may. So far in repairs although not big items they add up. Three weeks after I bought it I had a fuel line crack. That was 650.00 to get a mechanic to do roadside service. On a trip to california I had problems with the engine overheating they decided the fan controller was not working properly. That was 1200.00, The sattelite dish went out that was 1500.00 The shower developed a leak and that was another 800.00 I am waiting for a new leveling jack to come in and that is probablyh going to be around 700.00
A lot of these items I would probably have done myself. The fan controller I would not have done or the fuel line. Not a lot of room to work on the engine in the DP. I am not saying anything at all bad about my coach. An 8 year old coach with 39000 miles has set a lot and that seems to be the worst thing you can do to them. Power wise it has a 400 cummins engine and I pull a 4000 pound suv with it and I have had no problems towing. Mileage wise I get around 6mpg. I laughed at the posts abou the comfortable cars and hotels. My wife and I have looked at motorhomes for the last ten years and I have been very vocal about saying that you would have to live in one full time for ten years to make it worthwhile. We bought a fifth wheel two years ago and I did not like towing it but we loved travelling in it. We decided that we would just go ahead and buy a motor home. Money wise the motel and car route is by far the best way to go. For comfort and convenience I would never go back to the money and car routine. We keep clothes in the coach so that we can just literally get in it stop at a grocery store on the way out and go somewhere. I have traveled a lot in a car. Last fall was my first trip out west in a motor home. The huge front window made it so much easier to see the beauty in the country side. If I got hungry I just pulled over to a rest area went back to the refrigerator and got something to eat then started back on my trip.

If you are going to pull a vehicle do your research on how to pull. I know a lot of people like the tow dolly. I saw someone put their car on a tow dolly once. Took them about 30 minutes to get it on the dolly tied down etc. It takes me about 5 minutes to hook up my car to the tow bar. but it is hard to find a vehicle that is 4 wheel towable and getting the tow bar and the associated equipment for the tow vehicle can be pretty expensive I have about 3000.00 in my set up
Good luck with your decision
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #48

For 100K a tag axel DP will have old crappy tube TV's, old dingy carpet, and will look old. Whoever recommends an old tag axel MH - for 100k you probably have to go way back to 2001 to 2003. Even then there are tag axel MH that still cost much more than 100K.

The big upgrade in MH's started in 2008. By upgraded I mean less carpet, more tile, LCD TV's, single piece windshields, wired for digital (maybe) and updated chassis for Winnebago and 2009 for Fleetwood.

A nice single axel 2008 DP will cost more like 150K.

I would save more $$$ until you were in the 125k to 150k budget range. Then go shopping again. The MH that was 150K maybe will be 135K with additional depreciation.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2
For 100K a tag axel DP will have old crappy tube TV's, old dingy carpet, and will look old. Whoever recommends an old tag axel MH - for 100k you probably have to go way back to 2001 to 2003. Even then there are tag axel MH that still cost much more than 100K.

The big upgrade in MH's started in 2008. By upgraded I mean less carpet, more tile, LCD TV's, single piece windshields, wired for digital (maybe) and updated chassis for Winnebago and 2009 for Fleetwood.

A nice single axel 2008 DP will cost more like 150K.

I would save more $$$ until you were in the 125k to 150k budget range. Then go shopping again. The MH that was 150K maybe will be 135K with additional depreciation.
You should be able to buy an '02-03 Dynasty for under 100k. Spent 7-10 k more to have the carpet replaced with tile and the TVs up dated. I know because after 5. Years full time in an '03 coach we did this and there is no way we would trade even for a newer lower line coach. Pay for the bones and up grade the fluff.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #50

Steve Ownby - can they change the two piece windshield to a 1 piece ?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Steve Ownby - can they change the two piece windshield to a 1 piece ?
The years of Dynasty I mentioned happens to be a one piece windshield if that is to your liking.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #52

"(and, in truth, you need to drive some of the 36'+ diesels to see how maneuverable they really are)" Amen to that we had a 34 gasser and move to a 40 DP. The DP way out maneuvers the gasser and the ride there is no comparison. I was very skeptical about the DP but I am here to tell you it's worth the price.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #53

"First off I wouldn't disregard a Class A gasser as they are capable of towing sometimes better than DP's and gas is cheaper than diesel." True but my gasser towing got 6-6.5 mpg and our DP gets 8-9 with the same toad. So the fuel cost difference is a wash and our v10 towed ok but the 360 cummins way out pulls it.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Dude - I had a budget of 120k for a used DP. Looked and looked, observed RV parks. Noticed alot of 5th wheels...thought hummm, looked at 5th wheels...though..hummm. Looked at new diesel trucks. I came to the conclusion I can buy a new truck and new cool 5th wheel easy for $110k - I over spent on a F-450 but love the truck and the way it pulls. You could save 8 k by buying a F-350. Look at full time living 5th wheels. Fyi - I am already thinking about my next 5th wheel...these things are kinda like mini house. With the larger deeper slides a 5th wheel lives across the unit as much as front to back.
To each his own I just don't want to drive the big truck around town or on side trips and we do enjoy the passenger being able to make lunch or go potty while underway.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #55

nbargolf - I like the idea a MH pulling a car. Especially the ability to stay in the MH easier when traveling.
A MH does have it's rock solid advantages. I guess it is the crazy cost of these new DP that had me looking at the 5ers. When I looked at the upscale 5ers which are nicer than the DP's I was looking at then the nice new trucks with heated/cooled seats, Nav, sat radio, lots of power I believe a 5er is a valid way to go and should be considered.

Note - for 250k to 350k you can get a nice DP new. For 140k you can get a great truck and a very nice 5er new. DRV or Trilogy 5er vs a new Fleetwood Discovery / Providence or Winnebago Tour.

Plus my truck does not rattle shimmy or shake.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #56

I was in the exact same boat a few months ago Pictures worth 1000 words. Look at our profile pic. Love holiday Rambler.
Rtmunson is offline   Reply With Quote