Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

What would you buy for a 100 K?

Been looking at class A's and lurking here for a couple of months trying to get a handle on our first RV. Want to go with a used DP with enough power to tow a toad and can spend a 100K give or take. I'm pretty handy with tools and know my way around cars so figure I can handle the minor maintenance and repairs myself. Although I'd rather not.

It's kind of a, "bucket list", thing. We did it 25 years ago in a rental and now have the time and bucks to take our time and travel in relative luxury for the summer. Questions:

First, what would you buy and why?
Would you finance or pay cash?
Would you look for an older high end coach or a newer affordable one.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

With that budget you can choose from a wide range of DP's these days. I would think that a gently used Winnie or Monaco or Tiffin around the 6 or 8 year old mark.

To choose between these mid range coaches and an older, higher end unit is really a personal choice and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Monaco diesel coach, 05-09 model, you cant go wrong. Stay clear of gas units even though there are some nice ones out there. You should be able to pick up a 40 ft unit 4 slides 20- 30k miles for 75-90k
Chucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend you look at Monaco Dynasty's, 2001-2005. Do a nationwide search on RV Trader.com for Monaco Dynasty and rank order by price, lowest first. You will find several Dynasty's 100K and below. They will all have a Cummins ISL engine, Allison MH3000 transmission, tag axle, and a Roadmaster air ride chassis. The 42" models will have three air conditioners and an upgraded 10,000W generator. Aqua hot was optional, so you'll have to ask about that if it's on your list.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

A cheap comfortable car and a lot of cheap motel rooms
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

Generically look at the flagship of the manufacturer in their DP line-up.

Better materials, more upgrades etc.

Maintenance and build quality trumps age IMHO.

Specifically, take a look at some vintage American Eagles. But, I am not objective in this matter as our old Eagle has been so good to us.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
First, what would you buy and why?
Would you finance or pay cash?
Would you look for an older high end coach or a newer affordable one.
Older and higher end. You got more for your money back then, and that carries over to now. Find one with lower mileage and has obviously been better maintained...preferably stored under cover or indoors. Find a meticulous private seller, or his widow. Even go with a broker. I can't stand talking to dealership salespeople, but that is just me.

How much is your money making in the bank? Mine was/is making squat. Would you rather put it in the stock market, just as the economy is headed over the cliff? If you finance, think about a home equity loan (if you can) for most of it and pay around 3% interest only. Pay the prinicipal back when you sell.

I was prepared to spend $115k to $125k for smaller and newer. Went with older and bigger and spent only $72k. Sure leaves a bunch for unexpected repairs and better travels. Besides, you will enter the depreciation cycle when it is in the 5 to 4 to 3 percent annual range, so you won't lose as much when it is time to sell. The original owner on my coach dropped over $120k in depreciation...over 11 years. He rarely used the coach, I am using it full time. Talk about bang for your buck.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Best bet??? Go to rv.org and buy their product, read it all, pick out what kind of coaches may fit your bill for what you're looking for. This will be the best money you'll spend on an rv. Then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and you're ready to go shopping. They will even mail you daily updates of what you're looking for. Beware of deals that sound too good to be true. Dead give away is that if you say you're going to be in the area and want to look at the coach and the seller says "we just moved it to...." run away.
Good luck, happy shopping, have fun
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
What about Newmar?
Ken326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Generically look at the flagship of the manufacturer in their DP line-up.

Better materials, more upgrades etc.

Maintenance and build quality trumps age IMHO.

Specifically, take a look at some vintage American Eagles. But, I am not objective in this matter as our old Eagle has been so good to us.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
We are FTs and definitely recommend high end older coaches that have quality and upgrades. You will have fewer problems, bigger engines, & still have plenty of room.

Dave
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
A cheap comfortable car and a lot of cheap motel rooms
HaHa. Had to laugh at this as my friend that owns a Monaco said the exact same thing.

Great responses that pretty much confirm what I was thinking from my lurker days. Nice to know I'm headed in the right direction from those that have been there. I'm actually considering purchasing my friends 40' Monaco. He wants to move up and I know how he maintains it and used it. It's a 2005 with about 50,000 miles and the price is right with enough left over to make any modifications or repairs. Can't make up my mind whether to finance or not. Will have to run the numbers I guess and see how it compares to the 1.3 0/0 I'm getting now.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
My thought would be to look at an $80-90K unit and put $20 or $10 aside for any unexpected repairs or improvement. If it works out it doesn't need repairs or upgrades that difference will buy a lot of diesel.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

First, don't discount a gasser right of the bat. The Ford V10 will pull any toad you like (to 5000 lbs) up just about any grade your likely to come across. Go with the floor plan and amenities that you like first.
Cash or finance. You'll here opinions on both sides. Finance rate are low right now. What kind of tax hit are you going to take if you pull cash from investments, will you be able to take loan interest off on taxes. Are your current investments earning more that loan rate. Lots of things to think about. Remember, if you finance now and things change, you can still pay it off without penalty later.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #14

Not a real tough question.
Personally, I would go looking for a 05-08 Newmar Dutchstar 42' Tag with a 450HP Cummins with a floor plan I like. That would be IF I got tired of my 03.