Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #1

This is the year! (You will notice "plan" and "hope" a lot in the following text. Hopes and plans rarely come out as, er., planned.)

We plan on at least semi-retiring next February. After that we plan to take two big (2 month?) trips a year. We hope to sell our travel trailer in the spring and get serious about buying a class A motorhome after that. We will buy used. I think I have narrowed things down to a 1999-2002 National RV or Tiffen, which we expect to be able to buy doe under $60K -hopefully closer to $50K.

My question is, was there anything that happened in the RV business or with these two manufacturers in this time that would make one of the newer years better than an earlier one? For example, was a newer engine or chassis or whatever introduced in 2000, that make it a significantly better than a 1999?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
ehackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #2

This is the year! (You will notice "plan" and "hope" a lot in the following text. Hopes and plans rarely come out as, er., planned.)

We plan on at least semi-retiring next February. After that we plan to take two big (2 month?) trips a year. We hope to sell our travel trailer in the spring and get serious about buying a class A motorhome after that. We will buy used. I think I have narrowed things down to a 1999-2002 National RV or Tiffen, which we expect to be able to buy doe under $60K -hopefully closer to $50K.

My question is, was there anything that happened in the RV business or with these two manufacturers in this time that would make one of the newer years better than an earlier one? For example, was a newer engine or chassis or whatever introduced in 2000, that make it a significantly better than a 1999?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
ehackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Go for one with a Workhorse W22 chassis rather than the Ford F53 or Chevy/Workhorse P32 that was used in pre-2001 models (and also in some 2001-2002 models). It is far superior. Ford came back with major improvements a few years later and evened the playing field again, but for the time frame you are considering, I would insist on the W22 chassis (or the W20 if the rig is one with a 20,000 lb GVWR).

The W22 not only is stronger and better handling, it also has a lot more external storage capacity then the F53 or P32 of that time period.

I have a 2002 Dolphon LX and did a detailed comparison between the Ford and Workhorse versions of the same model (NRV built on both chassis during 2001 & 2002) and the difference was night and day in favor of Workhorse at the time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good thread for us as we have some of the same hopes. Please keep the info coming on this subject.
I hope you will forgive the ignorance but would someone please tell me the best way to determine which chassis has actually been used in a particular MH that you may be looking at. Not to say I would not trust what I was told but I must have had some ancestors from Missouri because I want to see it for myself. And, many times when I even ask those kind of questions, I just get a blank stare back.
Thanks,

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt Joe:
Good thread for us as we have some of the same hopes. Please keep the info coming on this subject.
I hope you will forgive the ignorance but would someone please tell me the best way to determine which chassis has actually been used in a particular MH that you may be looking at. Not to say I would not trust what I was told but I must have had some ancestors from Missouri because I want to see it for myself. And, many times when I even ask those kind of questions, I just get a blank stare back.
Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

In many(most?) cases a simple glance at the steering wheel will tell you the answer as the chassis brand will be indicated on the horn button/pad.

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-22-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
All motorhomes will have two data plates. One for the chassis and one for the coach builder. On the chassis plate information as to the date of manufacture, make, model, vin #, Wheel and tire size as well as GVWR, (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) GCVWR,(Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) UVWR,(Optional)(Unloaded Vehicle Weight Rating) NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) sometime in yearlier models was listed as CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #7

We just bought our National Surfside (2000) in June '05 and we love it. We have looked at tons of motorhomes and feel we got just what we needed. I was looking for 36', but this 33' is plenty big enough for the two of us (even though there's not much room to get around the bed).

I agree that the Workhorse would be better and when (if) we buy again, we'll buy National and ensure it has the Workhorse chassis (mine has the Chevrolet). My coach has a Generac generator...ensure you get Onan...as trying to get someone to work on the Generac is next to impossible.

We just looked at a 2005 Surfside at Camping World with two slides and the price was amazing...$60,000.

With the cost of diesel so high, I'm glad I have a gas model. My coach gets up to 60 mph with no strain and I usually back off to 55 to save gas.

Good luck with your purchase.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Chief,
You can get your Generac genset serviced at a number of Generac dealers - see Find Generac Dealer to locate one near you.

Or call Generac's Automated Dealer Locator at 1-800-333-1322.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #9

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Webster:
My coach has a Generac generator...ensure you get Onan...as trying to get someone to work on the Generac is next to impossible.&lt;&lt;&lt;

I agree it is extremely difficult to find someone to work on Generac. We live in Oregon and the closest is either in Longview, WA or Southern Oregon. We did find a guy in Vancouver that only works on small generators but he helped us. There are some others that will work on Generac but only if the generator is removed from the MH.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote