Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

What's a decent dealer's profit

Has anyone purchasing a 2015 motorhome in the $300,000-$400,000 price range getting more than 25% discount? Does $12,000-$15,000 sound like a decent profit? The couple prices I have gotten so far seems they are trying to get roughly $25,000-$32,000 per deal. I have no way of proving it but I was told last year by a fellow who had just purchased a $380,000 coach that he knew their cost was right at 71% because he had seen the dealer's invoice along with the MSRP invoice.

I hate this haggling part of dealing for a new vehicle since I'm not very good at this game. Always hate to insult somone with a ridiculous offer but rather they didn't take their trip to Hawaii on my deal. Not near as good as Rick on Pawn Stars or The Count on Counting Cars.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Bid at 30% and try to settle in the 28% arena of MSRP..

As far as profit is concerned, $15k on $300k coach would be a 5% profit margin. Most of the businesses I worked in would view a 5% profit as far short of a fair return on equity, risk, and investment. It isn't about the number of dollars, it is about the return...kinda like our expectations on our 401k. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
keep in mind, it's your money! It's never a bad offer. If I was thinking of a certain price that I would buy the RV at, I would offer 20% below that as my first offer. Their are a lot of RV dealers and new RV's. You don't have to settle for their price. I know, I have been in the automotive business for twenty years.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The dealer invoice means nothing, there are so many back room deals, incentives, floor plan deals, factory love, except for senior management or the owner, I doubt anybody knows for sure. What I do know for sure is the average net return on years gross sales is about 3-5% as two people I know very well are in the business. So 500,000 profit on 10,000,000 of sales. I do better than that in mutual funds and no headaches. Offer what you feel comfortable with, the worst they will do is say no and you have the option to walk away.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

So far the two quotes I've received as a first offer has been 20% and 22.2%. Didn't think those were even in the ball park.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Deal with a salesman the same way I dealt with contractors building my vacation home. I'd tell them, "Do your job, you get paid. Screw me over, I won't pay and I'll shoot your dog" 😡 I only had too shoot one dog! Worked out well 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #7

Don't worry about offending them with an offer, worse they can do is say no or tell you to leave and allow another dealer to take your money. Besides, you're not insulting them by offering too little, but they ARE insulting you by asking too much😆
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
So far the two quotes I've received as a first offer has been 20% and 22.2%. Didn't think those were even in the ball park.

I had a firm quote on a 2014 Anthem of 30% off msrp.. Still leaving a decent profit for the dealer. Your quotes of 20 and 22.2 % are in line with what i found when shopping Newmar. 25% being the highest . As in any deal listen to their offer ... Accept it or counter.. Its your money after all and you have the final say.. But at the same time the dealer made the investment, takes the risk, and pays the overhead. They have a right to profit also. Some dealers are agressive... Some are not..Just IMO.

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Deal with a salesman the same way I dealt with contractors building my vacation home. I'd tell them, "Do your job, you get paid. Screw me over, I won't pay and I'll shoot your dog" 😡 I only had too shoot one dog! Worked out well 😜
I don't think so tuff guy
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
What's a decent dealer's profit

You can't be afraid to state what price you want, they never give you their lowest at first.

You never said what brand you're looking at we can help more if we knew, example Newmar is 28%, Entegra is 32 %
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The dealer's margin isn't relevant. Make you offer and, if it's good enough, he will accept it (but maybe not right away). If not, he won't and you can either your offer or walk away.

There are dealers (usually larger, high volume types) that will accept 20-30% off MSRP, and others who won't go less than around 15%.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

When my sister was selling motorhomes they did not know the dealer pricing. The dealing is really with the F&I guy.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
You can't be afraid to state what price you want, they never give you their lowest at first.

You never said what brand you're looking at we can help more if we knew, example Newmar is 28%, Entegra is 32 %
Sorry, I'm awfully good about leaving out pertnant information. I'm working on a 2015 Dutch Star 40'. And the trouble with walking off from a low deal is that one of these dealers is the one I eventually want to use as I've heard and read he is the most reliable on any repairs. So I don't want him to hang up on me or tell me to go jump in the lake if my 26-28% offer insults him the next time we talk.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Sorry, I'm awfully good about leaving out pertnant information. I'm working on a 2015 Dutch Star 40'. And the trouble with walking off from a low deal is that one of these dealers is the one I eventually want to use as I've heard and read he is the most reliable on any repairs. So I don't want him to hang up on me or tell me to go jump in the lake if my 26-28% offer insults him the next time we talk.
Well, then you don't have a problem. Just take the deal they've offered you. That way you've made them a bunch of extra money and they're happy. Of course you way overpaid them but that's not your worry, right?

Oh yes, in 2002 we got 27% off, and the dealer is now out of business partly because Newmar yanked his franchise.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer