Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

What's a motorhome really worth?

I just bought a 88 Gulfstream Classic 36 footer, I had been looking for a while comparing prices and using the NADA guide, almost every class A that I came across was selling for a lot more than what the NADA says its worth, just an example but someone would list a 1985 winny for 4500 but NADA says its only worth 1200, now take my rig, the NADA says its worth About 4500 but I found 2 online selling for 13000 thats a huge jump in price. So how do I know what my rig is worth? Oh....im new to the rv world, is rig the proper term for a motorhome? Lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Asking price and selling price may vary!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They were for sale at that price they may or may not sell at anywhere near the asking price. Asking prices are arbitrary they vary by area, time of year, and availability of units to the demand. Take two identical units one of which has been neglected while the other maintained perfect; the value can be thousands apart. Many times dealers pricing will be high due to flooring costs, the fact that they provide financing, etc. Private parties see the dealer price and think they can ask that much also. When purchasing an RV it is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it.

Congratulations on your new coach. Go and enjoy.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

NADA prices for rv's are just bogus and I'm not sure how they figure "Value". I just sold my 1988 Winnebago Superchief. It had a rough exterior, inside was clean and quite liveable. engine was good, tires needed replacing. It did not have a regular fridge. NADA said it was "worth" around $1,600 as I recall. I sold it on eBay for $5,100 and if it had a normal fridge and the exterior was better it could have gone for more. Value is in the eye of the beholder. What is it worth to someone to have a well cared for, good working mh to take on trips, camping, tailgating?

I'd check several online website to get a idea of what others are asking and start there.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Any piece of real property is only worth what a seller will buy it for.

At any given time a MoHo might be worth 5 different values to 5 different buyers...

I use e-bay completed sales to determine the "value" of anything I am considering purchasing...It is one indicator of buyers feelings of worth.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Exactly what you paid for it

Your rig is worth exactly what you paid for it. You shopped around, knew the market and decided to buy it. Likely someone else would also for that same price.

Regarding the NADA prices, we ran into the same thing when buying our older RV. NADA said one thing and the market said much higher. I think once you get into the mid '90s and earlier the RVs sell based on condition and not an arbitrary book price. We looked at alot. Most I wouldn't have paid $1000 for due to smells from water leaks, general condition or engine/suspension condition. When we found the right one we probably would have paid a couple of thousand more than we did. And maybe we could have gotten it for a couple of thousand less than we did if we had bargained hard and there hadn't been someone else interested in it.

In the end we are happy with what we got and I bet you are also. Every now and then I see similar RVs advertised for more and some advertised for less. Then I think back to all those fabulous pictures and what the RVs were like in person when we actually saw them (pictures are very deceiving). I am then again happy with what I got for the price I paid.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

The older a rig gets, the less a "basic" NADA number will correlate. They are fundamentally assuming, for example, all original appliances, and that there's been no substantive repairs/updates (such as re-sealing a roof, for example) or upgrades (such as levelers) added.

But I have seen a number of very scary older coaches that I wouldn't even want to register in my name if they were free.

Steve
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Its a buyers market out there right now. Many, many RV for sale on all sorts of sites, including this one. An RV is only worth what someone is willing and able to pay for it. I just sold mine in prestine condition with a ton of extras for 59k when NADA said it was worth 98k. The difference was I had to sell it and couldn't afford to have it sit much longer. My loss, someone elses gain.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Any piece of real property is only worth what a seller will buy it for.

At any given time a MoHo might be worth 5 different values to 5 different buyers...

I use e-bay completed sales to determine the "value" of anything I am considering purchasing...It is one indicator of buyers feelings of worth.
Don't forget the price that will piss you off the most - the one from the insurance appraiser.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #10

Currious about what u mean about the insurance appraiser, maybe some companys differ but when I added my rv to my car insurance policey they asked me what value I wanted to insure it for, got full coverage, I said to my insurance guy, do u want the amount I paid for it? or what I feel its worth? He said the value u want to insure it for, well I said, and put my value on it. Farmers, I like their commercials. Lol
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

I mean your insurance company will only pay out what there appraiser values your RV at. They are in the business to save themselves money, not give you what you think your RV is worth in a casualty. Better read your fine print.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

Well with my car they told me what they would pay if the car was totaled, but with the rv they asked me what I wanted the value to be, its like adding special equiptment, Cause I also added 3000 bucks worth of personal property. U can pick up a beat up rv for 300 bucks but if u dump 10000 into it u better make sure your covered if something happens, checked my policy says insured value, 13000 plus 3000 personal property. Doesnt say anything about an apraiser.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzykitt View Post
I just bought a 88 Gulfstream Classic 36 footer, I had been looking for a while comparing prices and using the NADA guide, almost every class A that I came across was selling for a lot more than what the NADA says its worth, just an example but someone would list a 1985 winny for 4500 but NADA says its only worth 1200, now take my rig, the NADA says its worth About 4500 but I found 2 online selling for 13000 thats a huge jump in price. So how do I know what my rig is worth? Oh....im new to the rv world, is rig the proper term for a motorhome? Lol
Judging by my own online research, I would value your rig at anywhere between $2551 and $13,000.
What it's worth to you and what it's worth to anyone else are two completely different things.
If I think about what my rig is worth to me, compared to what I could actually get for it on the open market I would say it's priceless.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #14

There's a couple of ways I use to check for real prices

eBay check completed sales - these are the units that actually sold and for what price

Check PPL "SOLD" sales -- same story

PHE

Tags
motorhome