Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

What's Best Reasonable Quality Awning

Hi! I need to replace me awning. I'm looking for recommendations on which awning gives those most bang for the buck. It doesn't need to be the Cadillac Model and I don't want the cheapest either. Just looking for something in the middle that gives the most mileage per dollar.

Any help and/or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
hooperdoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Manual model: ZipDee
Auto model: Girard
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperdoski View Post
Hi! I need to replace me awning. I'm looking for recommendations on which awning gives those most bang for the buck. It doesn't need to be the Cadillac Model and I don't want the cheapest either. Just looking for something in the middle that gives the most mileage per dollar.

Any help and/or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
What sort of rig are you putting it on? What do you have now? How do you use it?

My last rig had the A&E 9500 series with the metal cover and acrylic fabric.

Pros: Provided great shade and rain protection, infinitely adjustable, fairly easy to clean and maintain, mechanically sound (i.e. no mech failures and still looked good over 12 years).

Cons: Manual extend and retract...a PITA in the wind.

My new rig has a fancy schmancy powered awning (Apex by A&E).

Pros: Push a button and it goes in and out. No arms underneath so it looks cute. Retracts by itself if it gets windy (really nice at 4AM when the wind comes up).

Cons: Mounted 12' up there, not adjustable, provides less shade, less rain protection, basically more cute than useful. And...one of these days, I'll push the button and nothing will happen!

My vote: A&E 9000 series.
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Awnings

My last RV had the manual Carefree awnings. It was pretty large and covered well. It was sometimes a two person job to deploy but it could be tied down well for wind. I liked that I could really lower the edge far or lower one end more than the other which really helps in rainy places. One of the negatives was the gust locks weren't that great and a few times I had to pull off the Hiway in Kansas when it billowed up to prevent losing it. It was 10 years old with a few more left.

My new RV has the electric Carefree awnings. I like that I can hit a button and deploy it. The downside is it doesn't take wind well and I'm afraid to lose it so everytime the wind picks up it slaps some and I end up taking it in. I end up taking it in and out almost daily. It has a wind sensor, but it rarely pulls in the awning even though the awning is making a lot of noise.

I think the Girard awnings are nice but I have no experience with them and they appear expensive. I have a small Girard like awning of the main door, built by Carefree with the scissor arms, and it has been bulletproof in major winds.

My vote....buy a nice manual awning, save the money from an electric awning for gas money.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Gees, thanks for the recommendations. I didn't expect so many so soon.

One thing I should have explained better is: I currently have a manual awning on my Class "A" Motor Home and it's the awning fabric/material that needs replacement because of deterioration caused by the sun.

Thanks again.
hooperdoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

Replace just the material is not hard at all you will need 3 people to do it I have done this many times
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

If you're happy with the current awning and the mechanical parts are still good, I'm with whem2fish, just replace the fabric. Check around at boat awning and other such places as they can often make you a new canopy with a wide choice of materials for less than an OEM replacement.

I had a slideout awning fabric replacement made at a local place that cost less than half of the "official" replacement and it was two years past the life of the original when I sold the coach and was still "as new".
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, quality