Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Old car restorers lament
"Fix it till it's broke"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Tires and batteries are a 6 year cycle maintenance item.
I don't know where those came from but they're certainly not true.

Tires can last up to 10 years if treated properly. I replace ours after 8 years and, while they did show some cracking they weren't too bad.

Our batteries are still the OEM's that were in the rig when it was delivered to us in June 2002. Still work quite well and I have drawn them down to under 11.0 volts many times.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't know where those came from but they're certainly not true.

Tires can last up to 10 years if treated properly. I replace ours after 8 years and, while they did show some cracking they weren't too bad.

Our batteries are still the OEM's that were in the rig when it was delivered to us in June 2002. Still work quite well and I have drawn them down to under 11.0 volts many times.

Thank you for the correction.

I guess I should have either said "a maximum of" or "about" or "at least" or some other qualifier to satisfy your information needs.

I was attempting to place some perspective on the fact that the OP's cost of "Repairs" included some cyclical "maintenance" items that he should expect to encounter again in his ownership cycle. In that regard, the money spent was not for unusual repairs.

Having read these forums for 10 plus years, I think most readers could be comfortable with the six year estimate but recognize that individual experience and skill could produce even better results.

Fortunately establishing a universal expectation for "life of expendable" regardless of hours or miles of use was not part of my goal nor the OP's goal of feedback on his potential future expenditures.

Have a great day!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, if you are going to own an rv you better be handy with tools or handy with a check book. Heck, fixing stuff is part of the hobby.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I have a 2002 Country Coach 36'. So far this year I have replaced:

Generator sensor:
Batteries: 1 truck 2 house
Tires: All 6 good tread but a lot of weather checking
Inverter: Up graded to a 2500 watt because the 2000 went belly up
Starter
Radiator

I realize that the coach is 10yrs old and that stuff is going to wear out, break, and malfunction. I just don't have a clue as what to expect next. So far when ever anything has gone out I have not have to get towed in to deal with it. I'm just looking to hear what problems other coach owners have on a ten year old coach.
Thanks
I feel your pain. We bought our coach in 2007 and have never had an outing without something going wrong. Some simple things and some worse. last trip the heater didn't come on when the heat pumps reached their lower temps. Turned out to be a board in the furnace. Mine is also 10 years old. Can't wait for the next one. By the way, we have never had to be towed either, knock on wood. KUDOS to the chassis mfg.
Richard
Old 11-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #20

Problems are a realitive term. A motor home is a combination of your house and your car, much more complex than either one. Once a coach gets a little age on it its' going to have problems, of which some are normal ware and tear issues. Example a car gets brakes and or tires every 2 or 3 years no problem. But the M/H needs brakes after 10 or 12 years, or belts and hoses it's a "problem". Just my 2 cents worth
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When I bought this one, the seller said he was very confident in it, and that he "guanteed it". I got it for 1/3 less than 'trade-in' value (because he was in a pinch to get rid of it). I did NOT hold him to that guarantee statement.
It came with: new tires, Dishnet w/satelite dish on roof,
rim mounted spare tire, tow hitch, new brakes, 2000hrs on genset, 40k miles, misc sewer stuff and hoses,

-extra electrical cables, ALL paperwork and records, new mattress, awnings w/aluminum covers on ALL windows, chrome wheel covers

-I Added:
-hot-shot type electric water heater element w/a proper circuit box
-memory foam on bed
-some LED bulbs inside on the heavily used lamps (for boondocking)
-battery conditioner unit to keep them from sulfating
-computer fan inside fridge

So, my repairs/problems in the first 6 months:

-fridge circuit board
-1 overhead light fixture
-flushed all fluids & filters
-genset starter
-repair wire in hydraulic jack controll box
-replaced dripping kitchen faucet
-dash stereo broke
-VHS player broke
-6-pack CD player broke
-electric step motor (had to upgrade assy)
-rubber mounts for exhaust pipes (eng & genset)

I feel I got a great deal on a great Bounder.

In 1 yr I have only put 3k miles, with NO troubles.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Heck, it sounds to me as if you've been lucky.

This year alone, I've been towed twice, had my Cummins ISL rebuilt, had the Allison tranny rebuilt, air bags replaced, shocks replaced, all new batteries, new Echo charger and so on.

All part of the adventure and learning patience and tolerance.

Truly has taught me how to pull off the freeway in a safe manner.

I'm glad that the engine and tranny was under warranty and that I had the $ for the rest.

Life is good.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
Heck, it sounds to me as if you've been lucky.

This year alone, I've been towed twice, had my Cummins ISL rebuilt, had the Allison tranny rebuilt, air bags replaced, shocks replaced, all new batteries, new Echo charger and so on.

All part of the adventure and learning patience and tolerance.

Truly has taught me how to pull off the freeway in a safe manner.

I'm glad that the engine and tranny was under warranty and that I had the $ for the rest.

Life is good.
Wow whats up with all that, sure seems to be lot of issues especally the motor,Trans, and air bags
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well i have to add some advice to those that has not been towed yet ( and hope you never do) make sure they know what they doing. Had to be towed last month ( my fan blade bearing on my C7 cat gave out) had to be towed 40 miles to a repair shop. The first tow company arrived so while he was looking at my rig, I starting asking him questions how he was planning on towing. He had sough of blank stare on his face so i know this was not going to happen. Then I asked him if it would be a good idea to disconnect the drive shaft and he said no it was not necessary. Well with that answer i sent him packing. I called my road side assistance again and told them to make sure they were sending someone who knows what they are doing and has done this before.

ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote