Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
What's going to break next???/

I have a 2002 Country Coach 36'. So far this year I have replaced:

Generator sensor:
Batteries: 1 truck 2 house
Tires: All 6 good tread but a lot of weather checking
Inverter: Up graded to a 2500 watt because the 2000 went belly up
Starter
Radiator

I realize that the coach is 10yrs old and that stuff is going to wear out, break, and malfunction. I just don't have a clue as what to expect next. So far when ever anything has gone out I have not have to get towed in to deal with it. I'm just looking to hear what problems other coach owners have on a ten year old coach.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest you not worry.. Cause whatever you are worried about likely won't happen and whatever you think can't possibly break.... Will.

Part of Murphy's Laws and other reasons why things go wrong.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
For the last two years, out of 3 trips, we've had to be towed twice. We had a bent Fan pulley that was eating the fan belt and twice the fan belt failed. When the fan belt goes, it doesn't look 'user replaceable' to me.

These aren't the only breakdowns we've had, and certainly not the most major. Once, the fan belt pulley bearings failed and the entire fan assembly tilted down shattering the fan against the crankcase. Shards of the fan were thrown through the radiator and almost completely through the sides of the coach.

The second time the fan belt broke, I was just north of Nacogdoches, Texas, and was towed to the Foretravel plant. I would recommend that you go there even if you don't need to be towed!

These guys are great, and I don't own a Foretravel (tho I truly wish I did!!). The service department is terrific. Tyle Fore kept the entire shop open (it was after 5:30pm) until we arrived and were checked in.

It was the Foretravel service department who found that the fan belt pulley wheel was bent and cutting the fan belt. Cummins service department missed that.

I kinda laughed when I saw your post. Just yesterday my wife said that she wants to head out again, but is scared because something else will break.

This won't hold us from trips.

Bud
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

You just never know what will happen, or if anything will happen. About three years ago DW & I took our 15 year old Bounder on a 5,000 mile trip from Colorado to the north east US, into Canada and back, and didn't have to do anything more than re-fuel. My son has it now and it is still going strong at 18 years old. Hope my current one does as good.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thats cheap... ever had a 10 y/o car/truck?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

Make sure you have CoachNet and enjoy the trip.
There is always something that will need repair. If you worry about that, it takes away from being able to enjoy the process. That being said, prevention and good maintanence can give you a great deal of peace of mind. There are always things that can be improved on a MH. Some are essentialf or safety, i.e. tires, brakes, etc. Some are irritating, i.e. heat, cooling, frig, etc. I have found the more I use the MH, the less I worry, the more I enjoy it. Things break and get fixed, but I am doing what I enjoy.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As an old RVer told me one time..."if it ain't broke yet, it's getting ready to."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hi Pumper,I feel your pain,It seems ever 3rd or 4th trip something goes wrong. I do more maint. to this rig then I ever did to my car or truck,and they never give any problem. I think a lot of the problem is the way we use and then park for longer stays,I have a 95 -F150 w a 300 and 400000 miles and only replaced rad in that time,but it was used evrery day for 16 years, Could be we need to drive them more.
O-well I hope to try this out next year ,will try to keep tires rolling .
Heres for a better tommorow Bill
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #9

I also have a 2002 Country Coach. They are really well built but it does seems like the bills to keep in running are kind of high. So far our extended warranty has been paying most of the bills. However, after 31 years of RVing I have yet to use my towing card. I should be getting discounts from AAA, but that has not happened so far.

For laughs sometime check Charles Kauralt's old book out of the library called "On The Road" Read his chapter "Houses On Wheels". I think they had a lot of breakdowns.

A few years back I was trying to sell my GMC motor home which I really loved, but was every bit as unreliable as any other 1975 GM car, only more so. Some guy called from 2,000 miles away and wanted to buy it sight unseen. I said to him, "Are you sure you want to drive it 2,000 miles without a shakedown cruise?" To that he said, "My wife and I don't care if we have problems. If we do that will mean we get to meet some really nice people on the road." I have always remembered this glass half full attitude.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #10

"RVs are like helicopters, if there's nothing is broken now, there will soon will be."
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #11

Since we have had our coach from the second time at the factory when they replacesd the sides because of bad glue there has been a wind noise from the right side. On our last trip the DW dropped something on the floor when she looked down saw light between the wall and the floor as the coach moves foward the wall comes off from the floor now that is a problem. (we sold the coach) I don't want to fix it that be in the 20 or 30 thousand range never again
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Linn View Post
Since we have had our coach from the second time at the factory when they replacesd the sides because of bad glue there has been a wind noise from the right side. On our last trip the DW dropped something on the floor when she looked down saw light between the wall and the floor as the coach moves foward the wall comes off from the floor now that is a problem. (we sold the coach) I don't want to fix it that be in the 20 or 30 thousand range never again
When I hear stories like this I start thinking... Gee I wonder who the lucky person was to buy that coach !!
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Right? And did you actually disclose that fact?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
We passed the 10 year mark about 7 years ago.

It did seem that repairs were more frequent at that time.

Tires and batteries are a 6 year cycle maintenance item.

We have yet to have your projects like a radiator, starter, inverter or sensor.

Over the past 60,000 miles and 10 years, I have had to:

1. repair the CC proprietary PCB for the automatic water fill system.
2. Replace the alternator
3. Replace the fuel injection pump
4. Repair the exhaust manifold.
5. Replace a furnace blower motor.
6. Replace the generator voltage regulator.
7. Replace PCB in Dometic Refer and Atwood Water heater.
8. Replace the Cummins water pump.
9. Repair/Replace the peeling Clear Coat paint.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote