Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
We would just ask younger brother on top bunk a question so soon add they leaned over the edge to make eye contact. Ya push up with your feet to tip them off. Amazing we didn't seriously hurt each other.
Sad, We are in a world of Helmets and knee pads, Moms who drive they're kids to the bus stop at the end of the driveway.

No one is allowed to have any fun any more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I have to disagre with the OP. Although most manufacturers reduced the number of floorplans they offered when the market got really soft 5 years ago, with the exception of Winnebago and Entegra (and maybe Thor), I think all the other manufacturers offer gas and diesel class As with bunks.

Here's a list of the class As with bunks: (repeating Smitty's just to have a more complete list)

gas:
Newmar Canyon Star 3810
Winnebago Vista 35B and Itasca Sunstar 35B
Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34SBD and Monaco Monarch 34SBD
Holiday Rambler Vacationer SE 32SBD and 34SBD and Monaco Monarch SE 32SBD and 34SBD
Fleetwood Storm 32BH
Fleetwood Bounder Classic 34B and 36H
Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Coachmen Encounter 36BH
Coachmen Mirada 34BH
Forest River Georgetown 351DS
Forest River Georgetown XL 350TS
Forest River Georgetown XL 352QS
Thor Windsport and Hurricane 33G Bunkhouse
Thor Daybreak 34BD
Thor Outlaw 37LS and 37MD with dropdown bunk over front cockpit
Thor ACE 27.1, 27.2, 29.1 and 29.2 with dropdown bunk over cockpit
Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse
Thor Palazzo 33.1, 33.2 and 36.1 with dropdown bunk over cockpit

might still be a Thor Challenger with bunks (their website isn't coming up right now for it)

diesel:
Newmar Ventana LE 3843
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PBT and Monaco Knight 40PBT
Fleetwood Discovery 40G and 42A
Fleetwood Expedition 38B
Fleetwood Bounder Classic Diesel 34B
Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA
Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH
Forest River Berkshire 390BH
Forest River Charleston 430BH
Coachmen Sportscoach Pathfinder and Cross Country 385DS

Thor's website seems to be going through changes so I can't see Challenger or Tuscany's

American Coach (Fleetwood) will also custom build the Revolution 42T (and likely the Eagle 45T) with bunks in the back closet.
I suspect Newmar would also build custom Dutch Star 4347, Mountain Aire 4347 or Essex 4547 with bunks in the back.
However it appears that Tiffin does not do significant redesigns and would likely not do it in the back of a Tiffin Bus (e.g. 45LP) or Zephyr (any of them would probably be suitable)

There are probably others that I can't think of right now.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Excluding the smaller ones with the dropdowns (e.g. Palazzo), here's a list of the "regular" class As with bunks: (repeating some of Smitty's just to have a more complete list)
Great list... There may be some confusion on the Palazzo...while all models are available with the drop down bunk over the cab area, the 33.3 also has the upper/lower bunk setup in the floorplan, which is why I had it on my list:

The top bunk is hinged so that it can swing down and make a (rather awkward looking) sofa or allow the space to be used as additional wardrobe...

Other notes: We looked at factory fresh Encounter a week or so ago, and were unimpressed with a storage shelf placement within the bunks... the shelf was maybe 6-8" off the mattress, which would effectively shorten the bunk by the width of the shelf... it's always something.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottawonder View Post
Great list... There may be some confusion on the Palazzo...while all models are available with the drop down bunk over the cab area, the 33.3 also has the upper/lower bunk setup in the floorplan, which is why I had it on my list:
I hadn't realized that it had bunks as well. That's a really great floorplan if you have a large group to sleep. Also, I thought that the drop down was in the living room, not over that cab seats so it really doesn't interfere too much with the living space (that's my biggest complaint with using the dinette and sofa sleepers - you can have people sleep on them so they certainly do what they are intended to but it makes the coach pretty much unusable).

I'll update my list to include those as well. Unfortunately, I can't edit my list anymore (never noticed but you can only edit messages for 60 minutes after you post) but I would have also added Fleetwood Storms (all models) which are available with a drop down bunk over the cockpit as well.

I had never paid much attention to the Palazzo but I really like that 33.3 bunkhouse floorplan.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have to disagre with the OP. Although most manufacturers reduced the number of floorplans they offered when the market got really soft 5 years ago, with the exception of Winnebago and Entegra (and maybe Thor), I think all the other manufacturers offer gas and diesel class As with bunks. <snip>
That's a pretty good list, but it does go to my point that as the DP's get bigger and fancier, there are less available with bunk beds. In your list, there are only 2 over 40 feet that are available with BBs (not counting custom) and neither of them would be considered higher end. For all of the models and floorplans, that is not very many.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Last month we were looking at a NEW 2011 Holiday Rambler 40 foot Ambassador with bunk beds. It was a great deal being reduced from around $263 K to $159k. We would have bought it but we found a 2010 Tiffin QTH when the owner drove his coach into the dealership looking for a windshield wiper blade but instead left with a 2013 Allegro Bus. He got a new blade and a fireplace and we got his coach.
If you are interested contact Rivers RV in Jacksonville, Florida. Talk to Mike Waggoner cause he was the one we dealt with. We didn't go with the HR because we didn't want to go thru the new coach break in etc. and we got a great deal on the Tiffin. We also are hitting the road in 30 days for 6 months or so.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wanted to get a bunk bed motorhome when we were searching for ours ... not so much for guests, but to use the bottom bunk as bed(s) for our 2 Labs. The DW wasn't sold on that idea, so we ended up with our 32' National (non-bunk) RV.

We're certainly happy with our choice, but after spending more than 14 months in it over the last ~2 years, I *know* that the DW would be happy with the extra space for the dogs!

Oh well ... it's on the list for our next motorhome.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #22

Quote:
I have to disagre with the OP. Although most manufacturers reduced the number of floorplans they offered when the market got really soft 5 years ago, with the exception of Winnebago and Entegra (and maybe Thor), I think all the other manufacturers offer gas and diesel class As with bunks.

Here's a list of the class As with bunks: (repeating Smitty's just to have a more complete list)

gas:
Newmar Canyon Star 3810
Winnebago Vista 35B and Itasca Sunstar 35B
Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34SBD and Monaco Monarch 34SBD
Holiday Rambler Vacationer SE 32SBD and 34SBD and Monaco Monarch SE 32SBD and 34SBD
Fleetwood Storm 32BH
Fleetwood Bounder Classic 34B and 36H
Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Coachmen Encounter 36BH
Coachmen Mirada 34BH
Forest River Georgetown 351DS
Forest River Georgetown XL 350TS
Forest River Georgetown XL 352QS
Thor Windsport and Hurricane 33G Bunkhouse
Thor Daybreak 34BD
Thor Outlaw 37LS and 37MD with dropdown bunk over front cockpit
Thor ACE 27.1, 27.2, 29.1 and 29.2 with dropdown bunk over cockpit
Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse
Thor Palazzo 33.1, 33.2 and 36.1 with dropdown bunk over cockpit

might still be a Thor Challenger with bunks (their website isn't coming up right now for it)

diesel:
Newmar Ventana LE 3843
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PBT and Monaco Knight 40PBT
Fleetwood Discovery 40G and 42A
Fleetwood Expedition 38B
Fleetwood Bounder Classic Diesel 34B
Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA
Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH
Forest River Berkshire 390BH
Forest River Charleston 430BH
Coachmen Sportscoach Pathfinder and Cross Country 385DS

Thor's website seems to be going through changes so I can't see Challenger or Tuscany's

American Coach (Fleetwood) will also custom build the Revolution 42T (and likely the Eagle 45T) with bunks in the back closet.
I suspect Newmar would also build custom Dutch Star 4347, Mountain Aire 4347 or Essex 4547 with bunks in the back.
However it appears that Tiffin does not do significant redesigns and would likely not do it in the back of a Tiffin Bus (e.g. 45LP) or Zephyr (any of them would probably be suitable)

There are probably others that I can't think of right now.
Would you please rank these manufactures? I would like to hear yours and other opinions.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
That's a pretty good list, but it does go to my point that as the DP's get bigger and fancier, there are less available with bunk beds. In your list, there are only 2 over 40 feet that are available with BBs (not counting custom) and neither of them would be considered higher end. For all of the models and floorplans, that is not very many.
I agree with you that among class As, there really aren't that much choices for families (certainly nothing like for FW or bumper pulls where there are tons of options) but I do think it's improving. With the exception of Newmar (who used to offer a lot more options when they had the All Stars) and Winnebago who had DPs with bunks and dropped them, I think the list is growing.

As you said, now you can get 40'+ DP bunkhouses (Disc 40G and 42A, Phaeton, Charleston, Ambassador/Knight), a few years ago it was only the 40G and before that there were none (except for Newmar All Star). Five-six years ago, the only bunkhouse class As were lower-end gassers - now there's a lot of selection with DPs.

I think manufacturers can still do a lot but I do think they most of them are looking at it as a growing area and offering more choices.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I really wish I could edit my list as I just realize that I put the Palazzo on the gasser side but it belongs on the diesel side.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Would you please rank these manufactures? I would like to hear yours and other opinions.
Ranking is really subjective as for each person you'd have to consider different priorities (price, floorplan, drivetrain (HP, towing, etc), actual number of bunks needed (if you need 2 or 3+ it makes big difference as not all will fit 3+) etc).

Personally, if it was me and money was no object my list would be:

1) a customized Eagle 45T or Revolution 42T or Essex 4547 or MountainAire 4347 or DutchStar 4347 (as mentioned, I know that American Coach will do the customizations and I suspect Newmar will as well). Obviously the Eagle and Essex are nicer but I don't know if I'd actually care so my choice might be the Revol or the DS - I'd have to look at both to really make a choice.
2) Disc 42A

All of the above are my top choices because they have 2 baths and separated bunkroom from the living space so really in a different class than the others. If they were really a realistic option for us (sadly they're not), I probably wouldn't even look at anything below.

3) I'd have to look at them more closely but probably one of Phaeton or Disc 40G or Ambassador / Knight or Berkshire (unless I can get Charleston for almost same price) or Sportscoach (I like the separated bunkroom floorplan)

I can't really rank it as I haven't seen enough of it but I'd also have a serious look at the Palazzo 33.3 though - I'd never considered it before but I think for a family it's a really good floorplan and if we can live with it, I do like that it's smaller and it's not nearly as expensive as some of the others.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #26

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a Fleetwood Discovery 40G which had bunks. We filled them with the plastic chest of drawers from Walmart and it made for excellent storage.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
You can also look at 'N' model Winnei Journey or Itasca Meridien.