Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Sportscoach Cross Country 385 ds is the best buy for the $'s. Freightliner XC chassis with a Cummins 6.7 340 hp ISB diesel. Great floor plan in a solid package.

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
Sportscoach Cross Country 385 ds is the best buy for the $'s. Freightliner XC chassis with a Cummins 6.7 340 hp ISB diesel. Great floor plan in a solid package.
I really do like the floorplan on the Sportscoach 385 DS. While we're not in the market to replace our motorhome right now, I always find myself looking at offering in the markeplace.

How have you found the build quality of your sportscoach to be? I ask because when I look at photos on the interwebs it seems like some of the materials used on the interior might leave a little to be desired.

I know for us, when we bought our "new to us" '05 National RV, we looked at quite a few other brands. The quality of the materials used on the interior - cabinet doors, cushions, trim pieces - were better than that on some other brands we looked at -- including a Thor bunkhouse, winnebago's / itasca of the same age and even newer Forest Rivers which had really cheap feeling cabinet doors.

Obviously from your signature, you have purchased one - so were surely happy with it when you bought it ...

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
I really do like the floorplan on the Sportscoach 385 DS. While we're not in the market to replace our motorhome right now, I always find myself looking at offering in the markeplace.

How have you found the build quality of your sportscoach to be? I ask because when I look at photos on the interwebs it seems like some of the materials used on the interior might leave a little to be desired.

I know for us, when we bought our "new to us" '05 National RV, we looked at quite a few other brands. The quality of the materials used on the interior - cabinet doors, cushions, trim pieces - were better than that on some other brands we looked at -- including a Thor bunkhouse, winnebago's / itasca of the same age and even newer Forest Rivers which had really cheap feeling cabinet doors.

Obviously from your signature, you have purchased one - so were surely happy with it when you bought it ...

We have been very happy with our coach. As all the posts will advise, if you are an informed purchaser you will understand what you bought. In our case we went from the new Bounder A in 1991 (Chevy P chassis) to a 2004 Four Winds C to the Sportscoach. You can see that we are not upscale users and keep our vehicles for long periods. Each was purchased for a specific reason and lifestyle changes. The Bounder purchase was a mistake based on its drivability but the design and layout worked.

With respect to the Sportscoach:
The Freighliner chassis, Cummins engine and Allison trans are perfect. They were are biggest adjustment to the larger A and DP.
We didn't want tile or carpet flooring in the living area so the vinyl works
Cabinets and hardware are much better than the 2011 and earlier models
Lots of cabinet storage space
Lots of light fixtures and types
Tremendous basement space
Imitation leather works, durable and looks good
Padded ceiling with AC ductwork. Heating ducts are also below floor
Wall material is very basic and is the only "less than upgraded quality" materials that exist
Main TV is high def but bunks and bedroom are not. OK with us
No outside entertainment center. Again OK with us as we can carry a radio or another TV we have should we ever want to do so which is anticipated to be NEVER.
Dash is functional and doesn't have a cockpit design. More usable floor area available
Appliances are major brands
Exterior full paint with Diamonshield protection at front means little effort to maintain
Prepped for W/D but I don't think well ever need
Prepped for satellite but so far we don't find the need
Our unit didn't come with an in inverter but we haven't experienced the need as of yet
Had a problem with the Girard tankless WH but coachmen replaced it with the version 2 model. The jury is still out as to whether we would rather have a gas/electric 10 gal combo heater
Basement door design is flat and has needed some adjustment to maintain flush ness ans eveneness of doors. This is the only exterior issue that we see a difference with regarding other rigs

While some would refer to the Sportscoach as entry level I would take the position that it is a solid, basic model (i.e. Chevy) and gets you a lot of coach for the buck. Our friends with other brands, Newmar, Tiffin, etc think we paid 2x as much as we did but spew didn't buy it for show.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Sorry for the late reply.... families in Class A DPs are out there! We just made the switch from our 89 Winnie Class C to a 2000 National Tradewind. The unit we purchased already has bunks in them (albeit only 5' in length!) which is perfect for our 2 youngest kids ages 5 and 4. The previous owners were pretty hard on the interior but that works fine for us since we were planning to add more bunks anyway. Yes, we actually have 5 kids and will be adding a triple bunk across from the galley.
We plan to go out on the road for 1 - 4 months at a time.... we homeschool and my husband telecommutes.
Hope to see you on the road!