Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What's happening to Bunk Beds?

Perusing through the new models of bigger DPs, I see very few with Bunk Bed options. I wonder what's happening to the demand? We have them in ours and though we don't have little children anymore they are a fabulous space for storage bins and other items that you want to keep in the coach as opposed to below. I keep my office items there as well, along with all of the dog stuff. And they do sleep on the lower bunk occasionally too. To me, once you get above 36 feet, it seems as all of the extra room goes to the bathroom, fireplace and other gingerbread.

Just curious as to how others feel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2

We actually could have used a set of bb but I've never seen them in an RV. They seem to be more geared to the tt's and 5ths. Guess they figure not as many families use the class A as retirees. I'm sure its just about market and bb not being easy to move. But maybe can be ordered as a Floor plan option.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recall an motor home adage that goes "This motorhome drinks 6 feeds 4 and sleeps 2". I think the manufactuers believe it.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about the diesels, but bunk beds have a place in a lot of the gassers... Fleetwood, Thor, Tiffin, Winnebago/Itasca.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I don't know about the diesels, but bunk beds have a place in a lot of the gassers... Fleetwood, Thor, Tiffin, Winnebago/Itasca.
I agree with this. The misses and I started our search and thought it was interesting that the bunks were in a lot of the gassers but not as much in the DP's. I think there are a couple of the smaller Class A DP's that have bunks but once you get to the 40' line, most of it ends.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Perusing through the new models of bigger DPs, I see very few with Bunk Bed options. I wonder what's happening to the demand? We have them in ours and though we don't have little children anymore they are a fabulous space for storage bins and other items that you want to keep in the coach as opposed to below. I keep my office items there as well, along with all of the dog stuff. And they do sleep on the lower bunk occasionally too. To me, once you get above 36 feet, it seems as all of the extra room goes to the bathroom, fireplace and other gingerbread.

Just curious as to how others feel.
Definitely a Nice Option, I have been thinking about adding a set to my coach in place of a desk and 2 chairs all the way in the back we don't use.

I have to believe that most Young Families with Kids can't afford a Class A of this Stature, So the Demand might not be what you think it should be.

I realize that many of us Either will be or are Grand parents, and you would want to have a place for the Grand kids to Sleep especially if you have a lot of them.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I was just looking at a Fleetwood Storm with bunk beds. It defintely interests us because we have 5 grandkids. I have not seen any in pushers but still looking.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Newmar has a DP bunk model in the Ventana LE lineup.
ldprice47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Forest River Berkshire has a 40' DP that has bunks.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

I read a comment elsewhere in the forum said that they showed a bunch last year, fewer this year...

DP Bunk Models include the following:

Thor Palazzo 33.3
Sportscoach Cross Country 385DS
Forest River Berkshire and Charleston
Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
Holiday Rambler lists a 2013 Ambassador w/ Bunks but I haven't found one on the ground.
Newmar Ventana LE 3843

To echo what others have said, the bulk of the diesel bunks currently available are priced at the lower end of the DP $$ scale, as everything but the Charleston and HR can be had for under $200k... suggests the bulk of the demand is still in the part-timer camp. I'm buying mine to part-time with the notion that we may pull the youngster and home school on the road for a semester.

Smitty
gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

It is true that the DP market is somewhat limited if you are looking at models with bunks. We ordered the Palazzo 33.3 after some research. We use it on weekends, trips to the racetrack and a couple of vacations each year so definitely in the part time category. I do agree on the flexibility, since, in most, the beds convert to allow the room to be used as a couch or wardrobe closet or something similar. It is a good flexible space and much better to use than a sleeper couch or dinette for guests (especially kids). I know we are always sleeping four in ours which is why we picked the Palazzo.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar has had a bunk bed floor plan since 2007. Started as the All Star and morphed into the Canyon Star and Ventana LE. Go to http://www.newmarcorp.com/filemanage...810_lightb.png to see the floor plan. It is model 3810. Go to http://www.newmarcorp.com/filemanage...843_lightb.png to see the Ventana LE 3843.

Most of the industry has been out of sync with those who would like bunk beds. In 05 I couldn't find a DP with bunk beds. In 07 there were choices. The recession hit. Floor plan choices were reduced. Now that young families can buy a coach with bunk beds there are few choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #13

EVERYONE KNOWS SOMEONE THAT HAS PLAYED SUPERMAN OFF THE TOP BUNK. whats this world coming too, that we have to take away the thrill of flying off the top bunk into the dresser. haha
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

We would just ask younger brother on top bunk a question so soon add they leaned over the edge to make eye contact. Ya push up with your feet to tip them off. Amazing we didn't seriously hurt each other.