RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
What's In Your ELECTRICAL TOOL Bag???

Been cleaning out the Basement and trying to "Re Organize MY TOOLs"

What do the "Experts" carry in their Electrical Bag?

Multimeter with additional clips
Replacement connectors/ends
Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Philips Head #2 And 3/16" Flat screwdrivers
Small/Fine screwdriver set
Nut driver and small assortment of heads
Tape
Soldering Iron - Flux and Solder
Little wire
Few wire ties - Small and Larger
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light


What am I forgetting??? -
__________________

__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Full Timers
Posts: 691
Dielectric grease.
CRC contact cleaner and lubricant
__________________

__________________
2008 Phaeton 36QSH, Safe-t-Plus, Quadra Bigfoot
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/ flat tow wiring mod.
Blue ox, BrakeMaster + BrakeAway, diode lights and charge.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Dielectric grease.
CRC contact cleaner and lubricant
Good Call - keep those in the Bucket full of spray cans, catch all bucket, guess I should just put them in the Bag - Bigger Bag -

- Thanks
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Dielectric grease.
CRC contact cleaner and lubricant
This all sounds good..
I would add a test light. Both 12v and 115v.
Outlet checker.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorang View Post
This all sounds good..
I would add a test light. Both 12v and 115v.
Outlet checker.
Got those, Guess I'll just throw them in too - Bag is getting Bigger -
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 490
Yes, all of those things plus some. I've recently added a bunch of push in low voltage small wire connectors. Some Wagu brand. I like ones with a lever to lock/unlock the wire.

I am trying to re-organize my electrical "bag" but I have not figured out how to contain it all. I have been using 3 bags but it is not easy to find what I need. I've looked at bags but (like Bono) I haven't found what I'm looking for.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Yes, all of those things plus some. I've recently added a bunch of push in low voltage small wire connectors. Some Wagu brand. I like ones with a lever to lock/unlock the wire.

I am trying to re-organize my electrical "bag" but I have not figured out how to contain it all. I have been using 3 bags but it is not easy to find what I need. I've looked at bags but (like Bono) I haven't found what I'm looking for.
So I think you see MY MISSION - get it in one BAG - was trying to make it Smaller - and something I can Still Lift. -

So thinking, this is the "First Response Bag" not the Entire Garage Bag - ?


__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,438
I keep materials separate from tools. I carry what materials I need for a roadside emergency, figuring I can buy other stuff locally, or via the Internet.

I keep small cardboard shipping boxes for tools and materials. They pack well into a pair of collapsible crates we store in a storage bay. When a cardboard box wears out, I replace it.

I finally split my electrical tools, as one box was not enough. One box holds the fine stuff: Optivisor (I am so farsighted it's not funny), small screwdriver set, measurement tools, X-acto knife, etc. Second box holds the diagonal cutters, wire strippers, and crimpers (with multiple die sets).

I also carry a heat gun, in its own box, a voltmeter, in its own box, and a 1000W LED work lamp, disassembled.

All told, the materials and tools fit into two crates. Some of the materials in the crates are for things other than electrical work (e.g., cleaners).

I carry a (very full) Sears flip-top tool box for mechanical, carpentry and plumbing work. Finally, there's a carry bag with the portable drill and its stuff.

More often than not, I'll fish out what I need, rather than pulling out the containers. I have found that if everything goes back into its proper place when done, fishing works well.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I keep materials separate from tools. I carry what materials I need for a roadside emergency, figuring I can buy other stuff locally, or via the Internet.

I keep small cardboard shipping boxes for tools and materials. They pack well into a pair of collapsible crates we store in a storage bay. When a cardboard box wears out, I replace it.

I finally split my electrical tools, as one box was not enough. One box holds the fine stuff: Optivisor (I am so farsighted it's not funny), small screwdriver set, measurement tools, X-acto knife, etc. Second box holds the diagonal cutters, wire strippers, and crimpers (with multiple die sets).

I also carry a heat gun, in its own box, a voltmeter, in its own box, and a 1000W LED work lamp, disassembled.

All told, the materials and tools fit into two crates. Some of the materials in the crates are for things other than electrical work (e.g., cleaners).

I carry a (very full) Sears flip-top tool box for mechanical, carpentry and plumbing work. Finally, there's a carry bag with the portable drill and its stuff.

More often than not, I'll fish out what I need, rather than pulling out the containers. I have found that if everything goes back into its proper place when done, fishing works well.
Sounds like my Old Method - Issue is if I dig it out it usually gets lost in another Box - then can't find and I buy another after hours of searching - - I have now got two and three of EVERYTHING - -

Cleaned out the all Basement tools and Have enough for at least two Full Sets of everything - -

So My Mission is to get it into ONE BAG -
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,438
The problem I have is that one box or bag is too heavy to maneuver or dig through. So, multiple smaller boxes. They interleave in the crates pretty well (that is, after a lot of experimentation). Some stuff, such as the 14-inch wire ties, fits better loose in the crates.

I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos- and multiple purchases- ensues. It's about the only area of my life where I have the discipline to restrain my usual chaos-causing self. Sad.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
The problem I have is that one box or bag is too heavy to maneuver or dig through. So, multiple smaller boxes. They interleave in the crates pretty well (that is, after a lot of experimentation). Some stuff, such as the 14-inch wire ties, fits better loose in the crates.

I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos- and multiple purchases- ensues. It's about the only area of my life where I have the discipline to restrain my usual chaos-causing self. Sad.
My case is really Sad - - The really bad thing is I've also got a couple of Bags for the Sticks and Bricks - -

I'll still have a Box with all the "Other" things needed but just trying to have the ONE BAG to grab when I know I need it, with a 15 Year Old Coach the number of times it's Electrical is Amazing! - -
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Member
 
TheWoodBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
Heat Shrink tubing and wire loom to do a nice finish job.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Excesses's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Vancouver Island, B.C.
Posts: 441
Correction Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Yes, all of those things plus some. I've recently added a bunch of push in low voltage small wire connectors. Some Wagu brand. I like ones with a lever to lock/unlock the wire.

I am trying to re-organize my electrical "bag" but I have not figured out how to contain it all. I have been using 3 bags but it is not easy to find what I need. I've looked at bags but (like Bono) I haven't found what I'm looking for.
You ď STILL havenít found what Iím looking forĒ

How about a few fuses in that big bag, Santa?

Cheers & 🍻🍺

DJ
__________________
DJ & BJ & Boxer Girl Roxy. Home Nanoose Bay, B.C. 🇨🇦
2001 Triple E Embassy 34í XL, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Rear TracBar, F53 Chassis, Firestone Air, Banks Pkg, 2011 CRV Toad
Excesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 8,974
Mark said

"I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos"


Amen brother, amen. My wife will occasionally borrow one of my tools and not put it back in the same spot.....Grrrr
__________________

__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for tool bag 12amNSX Gear and Product Discussions 14 04-03-2019 07:25 PM
What's in your tool bag OWV Entegra Owner's Forum 13 02-10-2014 05:36 PM
To de-bag or not to de-bag..... steveatpa 5th Wheel Discussion 19 10-25-2012 01:48 AM
Tool Bag. IMDSailor Class A Motorhome Discussions 19 01-06-2012 10:50 PM
4 bag vs 8 bag supercub Monaco Owner's Forum 3 11-16-2008 06:16 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×