Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
You can get a Tiffin Red 33 with 360hp/800tq Isb, also has Allison 3000 series so tow rating is 10k.
is it freightliner??? and doesn't freightliner now offer IFS?
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 492
Yes its on Freightliner and i'm not aware of ifs on them. I Was happy with the ride of my Red, just wasnt happy with the power or floorplan. Ours was 340hp/660tq and i was pulling either a 8.5x20 enclosed trlr with motorcycles and SxS or pulling crewcab pickup with motorcycles in the back of it. Bought a new Phaeton with 380hp/1050tq and much happier. This one is is 38ft and i have no issues with places we go.
__________________

__________________
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Yes its on Freightliner and i'm not aware of ifs on them. I Was happy with the ride of my Red, just wasnt happy with the power or floorplan. Ours was 340hp/660tq and i was pulling either a 8.5x20 enclosed trlr with motorcycles and SxS or pulling crewcab pickup with motorcycles in the back of it. Bought a new Phaeton with 380hp/1050tq and much happier. This one is is 38ft and i have no issues with places we go.
I had a few of the 660 tq models... found them to all be under powered for what I like to do... even went and had one bumped from 300 hp to 340... not much difference..
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Quick Coach

The best performing Class A coach (on paper) would look something like a 36' U320 Foretravel. A 450/1450 M11 pushing less than 30K pounds.

Seeing you are limited to 34' Foretravel did make a 34' U270 with the C series. Find a P pumped version and a good tune would let you probably chase down the M11 coach as long as you were paying attention to EGT's.

The major benefit of the Foretravel's is the in house built chassis. Eight airbags, large disc brakes, and transmission retarders are a must have once you have driven the big hills with them.

It seams that you want to buy a new coach but I don't know of any new coach under 34' that has the build quality of the Foretravel. Find the right U270 and remodel the cosmetics to suit your needs. Think of it as an 80's Schiada that has the perfect engine and running gear but an ugly interior. Would you spend the dollars making that right or step up to a new Bayliner
__________________
99Foretravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Foretravel View Post
The best performing Class A coach (on paper) would look something like a 36' U320 Foretravel. A 450/1450 M11 pushing less than 30K pounds.

Seeing you are limited to 34' Foretravel did make a 34' U270 with the C series. Find a P pumped version and a good tune would let you probably chase down the M11 coach as long as you were paying attention to EGT's.

The major benefit of the Foretravel's is the in house built chassis. Eight airbags, large disc brakes, and transmission retarders are a must have once you have driven the big hills with them.

It seams that you want to buy a new coach but I don't know of any new coach under 34' that has the build quality of the Foretravel. Find the right U270 and remodel the cosmetics to suit your needs. Think of it as an 80's Schiada that has the perfect engine and running gear but an ugly interior. Would you spend the dollars making that right or step up to a new Bayliner
here's my schiada , I redid the interior, restored the gell.. added the triple axel and wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledschiada.png
Views:	46
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	130094   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledschiad.png
Views:	42
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	130095  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledschi2123.png
Views:	45
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	130096   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledschi.png
Views:	41
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	130097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledsch212.png
Views:	37
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	130098   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledsch21.png
Views:	40
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	130099  

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Foretravel View Post
The best performing Class A coach (on paper) would look something like a 36' U320 Foretravel. A 450/1450 M11 pushing less than 30K pounds.

Seeing you are limited to 34' Foretravel did make a 34' U270 with the C series. Find a P pumped version and a good tune would let you probably chase down the M11 coach as long as you were paying attention to EGT's.

The major benefit of the Foretravel's is the in house built chassis. Eight airbags, large disc brakes, and transmission retarders are a must have once you have driven the big hills with them.

It seams that you want to buy a new coach but I don't know of any new coach under 34' that has the build quality of the Foretravel. Find the right U270 and remodel the cosmetics to suit your needs. Think of it as an 80's Schiada that has the perfect engine and running gear but an ugly interior. Would you spend the dollars making that right or step up to a new Bayliner


https://platinumcoachrv.wordpress.co...lide-for-sale/
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
2017 Nexus Bentley 34 B

I would think if you want more power then their standard 360HP Cummins, they would be able to and willing to get more power if it's possible.
__________________
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
A few more thoughts...

Many folks when asked about what coach to buy will say "Buy the floorplan, thats what matters most" ... (Then live with whatever driving dynamics the particular chassis may provide.) A different take on that is buy the chassis with the best chassis dynamics you can afford and live with or upgrade the cosmetics. Ultimately both of these perspectives are valid depending on the use. If you spend more time parked than driving, then the floor plan might be the most important feature. If you are a weekend user who spends more time driving than sitting on the couch then performance might just be the most important thing.

We are weekenders: drive 3-4 hours on a Friday, pulling the boat, a 4X4 or dirt bikes on a trailer. Once we get to where we are going we spend way more time outside the coach than inside... I want to GET WHERE I AM PARKED as quickly and safely as possible. There is usually a very big hill or series of them between home and the camp site. Having to go up those hills slow is one thing, not being able to come down slow is another thing entirely. That's another nod to a retarder equipped chassis. After owning one for 4 years it has become my favorite feature.

Nice Schiada!
__________________
99Foretravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Foretravel View Post
Many folks when asked about what coach to buy will say "Buy the floorplan, thats what matters most" ... (Then live with whatever driving dynamics the particular chassis may provide.) A different take on that is buy the chassis with the best chassis dynamics you can afford and live with or upgrade the cosmetics. Ultimately both of these perspectives are valid depending on the use. If you spend more time parked than driving, then the floor plan might be the most important feature. If you are a weekend user who spends more time driving than sitting on the couch then performance might just be the most important thing.

We are weekenders: drive 3-4 hours on a Friday, pulling the boat, a 4X4 or dirt bikes on a trailer. Once we get to where we are going we spend way more time outside the coach than inside... I want to GET WHERE I AM PARKED as quickly and safely as possible. There is usually a very big hill or series of them between home and the camp site. Having to go up those hills slow is one thing, not being able to come down slow is another thing entirely. That's another nod to a retarder equipped chassis. After owning one for 4 years it has become my favorite feature.

Nice Schiada!
looked at a few of those...all were older or same age with more miles...

how would you rate the 2 , alpine seems to be very well built and rides very well.. don't think it would worth the trade in to go side ways..

thanks for posting... never knew they made a 34'r
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
I'd give something or other for a 34' DP. Love the Meridian, just hard to find without going to the Southeast. I'll find one someday!
__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I'd give something or other for a 34' DP. Love the Meridian, just hard to find without going to the Southeast. I'll find one someday!
isn't meridian the Itasca version of the journey???

my journey road horrible on cal roads... wanted to get rid of it before I got home...200 miles and I was done..finally got out on smooth roads and it wasn't bad...
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
anyone take NADA reports when going to see a private party coach
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
It is, but it's a better version, usually with more HP (Cat 350). I drive a 2000 f53 chassis. Me thinks the ride would be a significant improvement.
__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
I don't care one iota what NADA says. There's an asking price, and a selling price. It's up to the 2 parties which is a deal maker or breaker.
__________________

__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Now! Buy Buy Buy!!!! damdannyboy Newmar Owner's Forum 2 07-30-2015 05:08 PM
Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet mothgrey Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 11-18-2013 05:51 PM
whats the best class A $100000 will buy? huntnski Class A Motorhome Discussions 28 01-16-2013 02:01 PM
Whats the best blackstreak remover,and best protectant? tammyinwv iRV2.com General Discussion 13 05-01-2005 06:09 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.