Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #15

Cool plan.

I am playing with the same kinda idea. Currenty have a nice 5er and great truck. Makes this great for us. If I can not find a really good deal I will just keep what I have. And actually I may not find a DP that I like better. My 5er has 1 button self leveling.

Since I have been looking at DP's it seems they are over priced.

I have been looking at the 2008 Winnebago Tour or 2009 Discovery. But right now both still cost too much for me.

Good luck - Happy New Year.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #16

If you liked what you saw in the Excursion, you should find almost the same thing in the Discovery or Expedition models which are a bit lower priced than the Excursion because of minor front and rear cap differences or maybe slightly less expensive electronics. But they have the same configurations. The tv up front can be fairly easily moved to the curb slide if that is something you want to do. Here's some PICs of how we moved our front tv in our Expedition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electroncis in Old TV opening.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	31140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front TV Opening w New Door.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	31141  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV & Credenza.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	31142  

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #17

I'm not sure what your 5er might be worth, but at $100k plus trade you should be in a pretty good position to find a relatively new DP. That would easily buy a two year old Berkshire or Coachman or probably a Damon/Thor. Going back in age will allow you to go up on the DP food chain. Newmar makes a good rig, as does Monaco. Tiffin has always had a good reputation but now they seem to have major league structural issues that would make me shy away from them.

As others have stated, take your time, kick a lot of tires, and get what you want. If you find one that fits the bill, check out the info on line and see if that brand and year may be one to avoid or one to jump at. Enjoy the search, it can be fun and frustrating at the same time.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #18

I think the general consensus it to get a higher quality older rig. Trying to do this might drive you more crazy. When I go thru this exercise I always end up with a 1995 Prevost...lol

Anyway - look at item# 2033 on the DeMartini RV website - it is a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution 4 slide 40' w/Cat 400hp engine. 125K. Maybe they would sell for 100k in January. That is what I would try to buy. Back in 2005 the top of the line Fleetwood (I am 90%) sure that MH was built in the even more up scale Country Coach factory.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well if anyone needs a good reason to have 9 inches of snow in Arkansas, then setting on the computer all day shopping for our new DP is reason #1. Thanks for the suggestion and commets on the nearly new Berkshire, Newell, Coachman and Damon. Actually some of those have made my short list and will be included when i make the road trip to walk inside one and see first hand how they look. I have been leaning toward some older, higher quality that's how I got my wife. Does 44,600 mi seem like anything to worry about on a 2006 unit or 65,000 mi on a 2005 unit. I havn't spoke with anyone and don't have a clue on their upkeep but both or priced good. I will be purchasing a extended warrenty on what ever I purchase but I still worry about buying someone else's worn out problem.
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Well if anyone needs a good reason to have 9 inches of snow in Arkansas, then setting on the computer all day shopping for our new DP is reason #1. Thanks for the suggestion and commets on the nearly new Berkshire, Newell, Coachman and Damon. Actually some of those have made my short list and will be included when i make the road trip to walk inside one and see first hand how they look. I have been leaning toward some older, higher quality that's how I got my wife. Does 44,600 mi seem like anything to worry about on a 2006 unit or 65,000 mi on a 2005 unit. I havn't spoke with anyone and don't have a clue on their upkeep but both or priced good. I will be purchasing a extended warrenty on what ever I purchase but I still worry about buying someone else's worn out problem.
There is nothing wrong or bad with the miles, as most of these chassis are 500,000+ mile engines and even more for the chassis. Tour buses you see on the road have a couple of million miles on them befroe being retired. Look around as there is also really low mileage Coach's out there and the big thing for me when I was looking was being "stored indoors" when not in use. This makes a HUGE differance in the shape of a used Coach. Good luck in your search......
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
The mileage you mention is nothing to be concerned about. For a DP that's about when folks consider them broke-in.

What I would be most concerned about is what maintenance records are available and what they indicate. Secondly the condition of the interior. How many days has the coach been lived in. Look at the edges of furniture for wear. Look at carpet for wear. Look at the cabinet door pulls and the area around them for wear.

Lot's of coaches have much more wear and tear on interior mechanics than on the chassis since they are used for the long term camping.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #22

I would add my two cents worth for a Travel Supreme. But in the end I think it would be the best floor plan for your needs and how you are going to use the Motor Home. Full time,part time needs, number of traveling in it. There have been good coaches built and some not so good. By all brands. So go over them very carefully and pay to have someone in the know give it a thorough inspection. Welcome to the extended family of happy campers....
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Dollar for dollar your best buy ( in my opinion because I have one) would be the Forest River Berkshire.... 4 slides, tons of basement storage, Freightliner chassis, etc. Really a great coach for the $$$ spent...

Check them out before you buy.... Go to the Forest River Forum and see what owners say...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #24

The newest Bluebird Wanderlodge!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #25

Ditto on the Forest River / Coachmen's. I have an 07 Sportscoach Pathfinder by Coachmen that I paid $79,000 for. Absolutely love it. Freightliner Chassis which is rock solid and the build quality is great for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Dollar for dollar your best buy ( in my opinion because I have one) would be the Forest River Berkshire.... 4 slides, tons of basement storage, Freightliner chassis, etc. Really a great coach for the $$$ spent...

Check them out before you buy.... Go to the Forest River Forum and see what owners say...
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks again for yors replies. We found a Berkshire that looked great, low milage and fit or budget. Problem solved till DW walked into a fleetwood 40X with TV in center of coach and Euro Lounge chairs. This now seems to be the center of our search.

Can anyone suggest other models of comparable brands to the Fleetwood lineup that has this center TV placement.

Also your thoughts on the quality of the Fleetwood fleet. Revolution, Provadance,
Discovery, Excursion. Would like to stay in the 2005 or newer.
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #27

The 40X *is* an awesome floorplan. If we'd had the budget for it, that would have been our choice, hands down. In fact, it drove us to falling in love with center TV setups because it really gives you that "living room" feel.

Steve
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Huntnski,

Look at my Vectra in the ads in this web site. It is a 40' with a tv in a cabinet
behind the pass seat. Great floor plan and we had taken the coach
out so and replaced it with euro chairs. ready for the road, top rig
of Winnebago for the year. Freightliner went thru the whole rig a 1 1/2
ago.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote