Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

What's the best fiberglass roof protection

Just cleaned a very ugly roof I believe is fiberglass. Lots of mold and dirt but it all came off with a still brush and lots of elbow grease. I would like to add some protection now mostly from the Florida harsh UV. In the past I have used Aerospace 303 but wondering if there is anything else specifically for this application.
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
A roof is the best protection!
303 should do the trick if you use it often.
I'm sure others will have ideas, so good luck.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

The final post on my fiber glass roof redo:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fina...ne-316925.html
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

I compounded the Gel coat on my entire coach including the roof. I now try to wax it 2x per year. Keeping it clean and waxing is a good habit. If you can keep it under cover or inside even better.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

I had this applied and will do the next coat myself. It should be done annually and so far it's great. Even with regular cleaning I had some white streaks. After this was applied nothing so far. It's a polymer so it's not slippery but does seal and protect.

RVTECH RV Fiberglass Roof RV Roof Protectant RV Roof Treatment 1 Gallon Ready-to-Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2MQXC9..._KJ2ACbABXV42A
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used 303 and Dry Wash N Guard on mine. The DWG lasts the longest.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you live in a rainy climate, I can't see 303 lasting very long up there.
I use wax.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

I've seen others and I myself use Turtle wax after a thorough cleaning of the fiberglass roof. Might be old fashioned but it sure looks nice and shiny. Seems to last quite a while too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
Just cleaned a very ugly roof I believe is fiberglass.
Why, do you have a dearth wish?

I know why I clean the deck of my sail boat. I walk and sit on it but will not fall to my death.

It was a happy day when I found out my first vintage HR had a fiberglass roof. I knew it was important to maintain an RV roof to keep it from leaking.

The advantage of fiberglass is it is low maintenance.

My sailboat is 40+ years old. For may years it was cleaned with a scrub brush then I got a power washer.

I have used the power washer to clean old metal roofs on TT, storage sheds, and Mobil homes before putting on a white roof coating from Lowes.

The point is working on a MH roof is dangerous and should be avoided for cosmetic reasons.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, the reason you put something on it is, it oxidizes, then when it rains, it leaves white streaks down the sides of your coach.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If you live in a rainy climate, I can't see 303 lasting very long up there.
I use wax.

I agree that 303 probably would not last long in rainy climate.

Most of the roof has a non skid finish so wax would probably not work so well as it would be hard to take off.

I think I will try what Mark suggested. RV Tech Roof Armor. But I can't find any information on how hard/easy it is to apply.
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I use Poly Glow on my fiberglass roof and love it. Most other products do not have UV Inhibitors in them....Poly Glow does..... I do my roof once a year and never have white streaks running down the side of the coach....

https://www.poliglowproducts.com/#/

Check it out, bought it on Amazon.com

Safe travels
Dave
Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #13

I also am in Florida. The first time I waxed my roof I used a paste wax. It was a bear to remove on the non-skid areas of my roof. After that, I now use Optimum spray wax. Just spray it on and a light wipe off. Gives good protection and has UV inhibitors. Spec sheet says the UV inhibitors are good for 5 months. https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
The point is working on a MH roof is dangerous and should be avoided for cosmetic reasons.
Well the real point is....
There are many reasons to clean, take care of and apply different types of coatings and they are not cosmetic reasons. Reflect the suns heat to keep the RV cooler, prevent streaking down the sides of the RV...I could go on but won't.

And as always in anything, taking basic safety precautions is always a prudent thing to do.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof