Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #1

Whats the mark-up on used motorhome

Hello, I'm looking at buying a used class A motorhome from a dealer. What mark-up do the dealers typically put on used motorhomes. I know I can low ball it and go up from there but sometimes that can work against you.

Lynn
LJV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What ever the market will bear seems to be the norm. No way to really tell at all as each dealer has to make money and how much depends on what people will pay.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought mine used, and it is a roll of the dice. The best guess I had was the dealer probably paid wholesale, maybe less. I went to NADA and signed up for a free temporary Dealers account, they do not ask you for a license, and it is only good for 30 days. The prices listed on the public site are not the same as the dealers guide. If you do not want to sign up for the online NADA Account, your bank, or library should have a set of guides for you to look at. I offered the wholesale price, which was way less than they had it listed for. They rejected it at first, I told them to call me if they wanted to sell it. They called me a week later, offered it to me for a price that was 1/2 way between my offer and their asking price. I told them to call me if they wanted to sell it, and I stated my offer again. This time I told them I needed to replace the house batteries, there were no service records, so I would have to pay for a complete service, and a few other minor things. They said no thanks and hung up. They called back 2 days later and told me they would sell it to me for what I had offered them. I took a gamble and it paid off, but I was in no hurry to buy, and I stood my ground. They also ended up paying for my plane ride to pick it up, and had the CAT Dealer service it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #4

I have been trying to get a handle on this myself. I emailed one dealer who had a 2013 of the make and model I wanted. The price they quoted me was $16,000 HIGHER than another dealer quoted me on a new 2014 . I thought the price on the 2014 was high originally since it (should be) a close out. Right now I feel I am back at square one. I am in no rush to buy either. I am going to an rv show next month, dragging some family to weigh in on some decision points and then keep on researching.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #5

If it is like used cars, many times a dealer will make more profit on a one or two year old car than they will on a new one. New units are more competitive because the same thing can be purchased from another dealer. It's harder to compare used coaches to the same thing at another dealer, so they can mark them up more. I have seen one year old MH listed for more than the cash price of a new one. Not every buyer will be well informed of discounts, so they have nothing to lose. They can always come down. It's just good business on their part.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

I had an experience similar to that of @UnusualSuspect except by the time the dealer was finished with the cat and mouse game I had purchased elsewhere. In my case I get the feeling I was dealing with less exspensive coach than he is talking about but it went pretty much the same way. I was willing to pay NADA Book as the coach was pretty special to me and fit the bill perfectly as it was exactly what I had been looking for, you know one owner, perfectly maintained, etc. etc. Well the dealer thought based off of my interest that he could command several thousand dollars over what the unit was worth. And I don't know, maybe he could and did. But it wasn't from me.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJV51 View Post
Hello, I'm looking at buying a used class A motorhome from a dealer. What mark-up do the dealers typically put on used motorhomes. I know I can low ball it and go up from there but sometimes that can work against you.

Lynn
I can tell you from personal experience. Our travelling buddies just traded in a 2007 Coachmen Aurora on a new Fleetwood DP. The dealer gave them $40,000 trade in toward the new purchase. I checked the dealer's web site and they are asking $79,900 for the used Coachmen. That is a 100% markup. (99.75% to be exact)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking at used rigs now, on one the public NADA price is around $340,000, dealer has it listed for around $280,000 (original price was $500,000 and some change). It's a consignment and the dealer says the owner is "very motivated" to sell. Hope to get a look at it this weekend. Problem is the DW is in love with a certain floorplan and this one isn't it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I can tell you from personal experience. Our travelling buddies just traded in a 2007 Coachmen Aurora on a new Fleetwood DP. The dealer gave them $40,000 trade in toward the new purchase. I checked the dealer's web site and they are asking $79,900 for the used Coachmen. That is a 100% markup. (99.75% to be exact)

As everyone knows those great and fancy dealers one I think of but won't mention directly can only have those super nice facilities by over charging all those of us who show how much we are in love with there iron. It's like most businesses that really succeed is to over charge for their services without you knowing it. MHO
Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
As everyone knows those great and fancy dealers one I think of but won't mention directly can only have those super nice facilities by over charging all those of us who show how much we are in love with there iron. It's like most businesses that really succeed is to over charge for their services without you knowing it. MHO
I don't think it's a matter of overcharging. It is a matter of what the market will bear. Whatever people are willing to pay is the market. The large "Fancy" dealers are successful at offering a product and service at a price people are willing to pay. That's Capitalism and free enterprise at it's best.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

Dealer wanted $99,999 for my 2013 Coachmen Mirada with 5k miles, offered $72,500 with the intent of purchasing a private party class C if the deal fell through. To my surprise they agreed.
xo4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #12

All dealers use NADA guide to appraise RV's. They try to take in on trade/buy them for close to wholesale or under. Like Usual Suspect posted find out NADA wholesale value and offer them maybe $1000 over that figure and go from there. If its been on their lot for x amount of time they will negotiate with you and you should save a lot of money in the end. Make sure that when negotiating at the price you agree to that pdi is performed and everything is in good working order and verify for yourself in the walk thru that it is in working order before signing on the dotted line. Start w/ the condition of the roof material and seals, look for signs of leaks, proper operation of all appliances, fridge is at operating temp, water heater operating properly, condition of tires, service records etc. If your not sure the dealer is honest hire a reputable independent RV inspector to come perform the inspection and compare notes. This is a huge investment/ decision you only get one shot so weigh out all options. Good luck w/ purchase.
bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

What I've been told by a relative who is in the RV resale business, that if you divide the dealer price by 1.4, you are in the ballpark of what they will sell it for, could be a little more or less depending on how they got the MH, private sale, auction, trade in ect. If you check XO4all purchase that is pretty close, and like said before the bottom line is the market at the time, and all either party can do is say not to an offer made.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Greatly simplified but dealer usually have the wholesale value tied up in their used inventory. They then attempt to sell at retail value. The dealer ay also have some investment in repairs, cleaning, etc. before putting the unit up for sale.

These figures can be found in a NADA book available from your dealer or local library. The online NADA book does not list wholesale values but you can buy that book directly from NADA or ask the dealer to see his or go to a library, as I stated above.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome