Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What's up in the ceiling I can ruin?

Hi everyone,
I want to add a privacy curtain around the pull out sofa so that when my mother-in-law is with us and sleeps in the pull-out, she can do so with some privacy. I plan to purchase a curtain-like system similar to what you find in a hospital that is around each bed...a track that attaches to the ceiling and then a curtain that hangs down from it. (If you have ever been to a hospital you can remember how the nurses or doctors grab the curtain and swish it out of the way...this is what I plan to install. I plan to simply push it to one side and Velcro it closed when I don't have the bag....I mean when my mother-in-law is not traveling with us. When she is with us and we stop for the night, I will pull out the bed, and then simply pull the curtain out and around the bed. There will be about 10" of clearance from the top of the curtain up to the ceiling, so that air flow won't be impacted. I've found a system that is flexible and will allow me to bend it, as necessary into the shape I need to worm around the fixed obstacles in the ceiling.

My concern is what I might hit when I start installing the track and run screws up into the ceiling. It needs to attach fairly well...I want the track to stay up there permanently and be able to handle all the bounces and bumps when I travel. I have a 40' HR endeavor with a padded ceiling. Am I safe putting in screws about 3/4" long up into the ceiling? I'm assuming there is some sort of plywood up there...true? Something I should watch for?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
electrical and duck work run in the ceiling
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing the bed is near the front of the coach. How about a spring shower rod with a curtain. Just stretch it between the walls. We do this with a clear shower curtain when driving during the summer to keep the cold air up front.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Dutch, but the "architect" has called for the hospital-style wrap around curtain. I am put on this earth to serve....
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
All I can say is good luck and that has nothing to do with the privacy curtain.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi B52Guy,
This all depends on how the coach manufacturer runs the wires. Maybe a call to the manufacturer would shed some light on this. An example is for Newmar. Wiring is run down the radiuses on the sides of the coach. Then directly over to any appliances. The location HVAC duct work is easy to determine.

If the only weight being supported is the tract and the curtain, the screws needed should be quite small. Gut feel says you are safe as long as you stay away from the lights and HVAC. Consider using self taping screws.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you run a screw into the duct, It will not really be a big deal. Ducts have screws to hold them together, most of the time. Wiring is a BIG deal. If you have light fixtures in the area, disassemble the light and see which way the wires are routed to the light. If they run to the opposite side of the coach, from where you are installing the rail, You will be O.K.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Get a folding room divider and don't worry about the ceiling. Amazon.com - 3 and 4 Panel Fabric In-lay Wooden Screen Room Divider Natural Finish - Privacy Room Divider

Or--string a temporary "clothes line" with a privacy curtain from the cabinet hardware. Anything that isn't a permanent installation will help maintain the integrity of your ceiling.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Check the ceiling construction. Many use a fabric covering on a thin sheet of luan plywood which is glued to block Styrofoam. None of that has much holding power for screws... weight of the curtain, and the track assembly bouncing down our shovel ready interstates.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling