RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

What's with all the TV's

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on my MH purchase.. probably next year closer to retirement... but as I look at all the different models I've noticed that most have 4 TV's... Why do you need two in the main living area ? do you actually watch TV while in bed .. TV outside I guess would be cool if your tailgating a football game. How good are the satellite antennas ? and does anyone actual use the in motion feature.. I've cut the cable a few years ago so I only stream Netflix and Amazon Prime .. is that even going to be a possibility while parked at a national campground.
Sorry for all the questions... just wondering if many RVer's actually use the TV very often... thanks, Blues

blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

We watch TV from bed sometimes. Our rig has only 2 TV's. That's enough for us. Yes, we have satellite and it works well, except they had to replace it once, under warranty, but it does work very well. We use DISH. Whatever you have at home, with DISH, you have on the road, except local of course. And if you want to change your local to another local, you call them and tell them where you are, also I guess, you can go online and do it. Have fun.

edge68474 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #3

You cut the cable on your Sticks and Bricks?
For TV, best is satellite.
You might get lucky with enough cellular Internet to stream Netflix / Prime but don't count on it at many campsites.
There is also OTA antenna for local TV if you aren't in the sticks.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

We have 3 TV's. One in the main coach area that can be seen from just about any seating position. One in the bedroom that the wife likes to use in the morning while getting dressed. One in an outside compartment that has been turned on maybe 5 times in 6 years and is barely viewable due to the light glare on the screen, total waste, but was on the coach when we bought it, otherwise we wouldn't have it.

As to what to watch and how to get it, that's up to you and how much you want to spend.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #5

We don't have a TV in our RV. We enjoy the outdoors while camping and sit around a campfire in the evening. If I was full timing , I would have a TV. Most places I go do not have cell , internet or a local TV signal . Satellite would be the only option.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 5 TV's and we do not use any satellite services. The RV came with 2 Wally satellite boxes and I immediately removed them. We sometime watch the park provided cable or air TV but mostly DVD movies. We bring LOTS of movies. With our switching system we can put the DVD feed to any or all of the TV's at once, so If Im outside grilling and she is inside making a salad we still get enjoy watching the same feed. We don't watch every day, but an hour here or there is fine by us.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with your thought that 4 TVs are too many. We ordered our Tiffin MH with the TV over the driver to be removed and replaced with cabinets instead. No $ savings - but better use of the space for us.
Don't know if we'll ever use the TV in the bedroom and I expect we will rarely use the outside TV. Pick up new MH next week - guess I'll find out as we start using it this year.

We also went with fixed location satellite (Trav'ler Dish Network for us). There's just going to be DW and I when traveling and we're not going to be watching TV then. In motion satellite may have given us additional options for recording shows - but like you most of our good stuff is Netflix or HBO Go.

We're planning on getting the Verizon prepaid unlimited and their associated routers (7700 or 8800 I think). There's more info on this Verizon option in other recent posts if you're interested.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have 3 TVs and wouldn't want any less. The wife turns in early and likes to watch TV in bed to unwind, Me, I like sports and watch a lot of football. Especially on a rainy Sunday. The outside TV is great for watching the morning news with coffee and sometimes Monday night football with friends.
As for satellite , we have Dish and never wanted in motion because we think there are better things to watch through the windshield. We don't camp to rough it. We camp to get away.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
You cut the cable on your Sticks and Bricks?
For TV, best is satellite.
You might get lucky with enough cellular Internet to stream Netflix / Prime but don't count on it at many campsites.
There is also OTA antenna for local TV if you aren't in the sticks.

Yep.. cut the cable and stream to amazon firestick... recently upgraded to Nivida Shield.. watch NFL during the season with the app playstation vue. I still pay for internet access $75 per month and playstation vue during the season (local TV channels) .. cost 50 per month … all the TV channels anyone needs.. Cable was north of 200 per month.
Blues
blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #10

Two TV's in our rig, 40 inch in the living area and 32 inch in the bedroom. We download shows to a phone at home from Netflix and Amazon. We then cast them to the TV's.

We only watch an hour or two of TV a day so download 20 hours or so. If stuck can steam from a phone.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I don’t get it. If you don’t watch TV in the bedroom then what do you do in there?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Choice! That is the main reason. Some people full time, so they have options. Other, like myself do not care about TV all that much. Only time I really want to watch if there is a major news event and to keep up with local weather. Now the wife, on the other hand,loves to watch FOX and CNN on a constant bases. So, I have a Direct TV set up on top, plus I can stream from my tablet since we have ATT cell service. So, we stream will traveling down the road, then when we park, I turn on the satellite. But, Direct TV is not RV friendly!!!! If you want to change your local channels, it becomes a real pain in the butt. I just use my OTA to get locals, if i'm close enough.

TV is just a choice. Some can't live without it, others could care less.

Usually if traveling with kids, TV is a MUST!!! LOL
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #13

We Are Full-Timers, starting our 5th year. First four in a Teton 5th Wheel, now in an ‘08 Tiffin Allegro Bus. 2 TVs in the Teton (40” Smart TV in LR, 32” LCD in BR), maybe 3 hrs/day LR set, 5 hrs Total/4 yrs BR. We were Workamping a lot, so TV was wind down every evening.

Second month in M/H, renovating to our lifestyle. In process of upgrading tired main (front) TV to 40” Smart 1080p set, other two left alone. Love the outside TV, can’t wait to find a mosquito-Free location to enjoy watching it. We use Dish, with Pathfinder Tripod antenna. Rooftop dishes are great if you like to stay in tree-free areas, but that kinda reminds us of Walmart parking lots. To us, camping usually means the woods, which means leafy trees, which reaks havoc on satellite tv signals. The tripod is a semi-manual setup, but you get a signal most times.

Streaming would be a wonderful thing, and we keep hoping that someday we’ll get to experience it... we have a Winegard Connect 2.0 4G LTE with Verizon Simcard on the roof, and a Verizon 8800 Jetpack, each offering a paltry 15 Gb of data/mo, plus’s 2 Verizon cell phones with Unlimited data. If you leave any recognized populated area, you will Not be Streaming. If you are lucky, you Might get a cell signal, but we have spent time in places where you had to get in the car and drive to the top of the hill (to see the tower) to make a phone call, let alone check email.

So, load up your DVR before you leave if you’re a TV or movie Junkie, or actually step outside, breathe some fresh air (and/or wood smoke), and slap some mosquitoes, before it’s all gone...
samedyerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We have 2 TV's in the "family room", one in the bedroom and one outside. I love having all of them for various reasons. Wife likes to watch her shows as she falls asleep. I will often have two games on the two tv's in the family room and we also like to sit outside and watch anything from the news, game shows, sporting events, and even movies.

We full time so it's our home. We like to watch tv along with bike rides, walks, silence, camp fires, watching the stars or the sunset, walk the dog, everything.

I always think its kind of funny when someone posts a thread that it should be this way or that way. Life is living and hopefully you have surrounded yourself with those that are happy you are alive and not plotting the opposite.

Edit........
Wanted to add this to the original poster. Your question is valid and I didn't mean to bust you on it. I didn't mean to offend you if I did.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote