Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #15

For us, the safe speed while towing is 55 and I drive very "defensively" while giving "the proper respect" to any commercial driver making a living, especially those with a rig bigger than mine, lol. I have found this approach works well in addressing the stated concerns and keeps the road rage under control.

Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a movement started in GA to pass a federal law to force truckers to activate their governors, set at 65 mph. The law now requires trucks to have the governors but not to use them. The legislators from GA are in support.

Contact your representatives and ask for support.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
There is a movement started in GA to pass a federal law to force truckers to activate their governors, set at 65 mph. The law now requires trucks to have the governors but not to use them. The legislators from GA are in support.

Contact your representatives and ask for support.
Not sure that would go over well out here in SD on I90 with an 80 mph speed limit. Let em roll and keep right, move left to let em on, drive your rig safely and courteously. The big difference between RVers and truckers is they're getting paid to do the job. We need to drive like it's a job too. Because in truth, the recreation begins when we stop. On the road it's serious business. There are way too many bad rv and car drivers out there. More than there are working men and women hauling your food, fuel, and everything else we depend on. Give em a break and a brake when needed.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Not sure that would go over well out here in SD on I90 with an 80 mph speed limit. Let em roll and keep right, move left to let em on, drive your rig safely and courteously. The big difference between RVers and truckers is they're getting paid to do the job. We need to drive like it's a job too. Because in truth, the recreation begins when we stop. On the road it's serious business. There are way too many bad rv and car drivers out there. More than than there are working men and women hauling your food, fuel, and everything else we depend on. Give em a break and a brake when needed.
Exactly.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure that would go over well out here in SD on I90 with an 80 mph speed limit. Let em roll and keep right, move left to let em on, drive your rig safely and courteously. The big difference between RVers and truckers is they're getting paid to do the job. We need to drive like it's a job too. Because in truth, the recreation begins when we stop. On the road it's serious business. There are way too many bad rv and car drivers out there. More than there are working men and women hauling your food, fuel, and everything else we depend on. Give em a break and a brake when needed.
^^ Post of the year contender on this subject IMHO! It will be interesting to see how it's received here....
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #20

All but the statement " Let em roll and keep right, move left to let em on "
Most states, I have been in, say " Slower traffic keep right".

You could get ticketed for not keeping right. Besides, if I am moving at 60 and the truck is going 70, what trucker would expect me to jump out into the left lane, to let him go by?

We all can share the road and play by the written rules.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All but the statement " Let em roll and keep right, move left to let em on "
Most states, I have been in, say " Slower traffic keep right".

You could get ticketed for not keeping right. Besides, if I am moving at 60 and the truck is going 70, what trucker would expect me to jump out into the left lane, to let him go by?

We all can share the road and play by the written rules.

I think he was referring to moving over at an on ramp to let the trucker in not moving over to let him pass.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I think he was referring to moving over at an on ramp to let the trucker in not moving over to let him pass.
Thanks Cliff - you are exactly correct. Keeping right is not the prime directive.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #23

Ok , missunderstod, with the 80 mph reference, just before it.

Makes great sense now..

I always let them in if I can.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Ok , missunderstod, with the 80 mph reference, just before it.

Makes great sense now..

I always let them in if I can.
With our CR-V in tow - the manual says 65 mph maximum. With 70 and 80 mph speed limits I am basically right always. Even then - trucks cannot merge onto freeway at 70 or 80 mph, so I am constantly aware of who and what is next to me or approaching on the left so I can move over to let the drivers on. Worse are the folks in cars that could easily merge on at or near highway speed and don't. They slow poke for a 1/4 mile or so - so I move over to pass them. And then, all of a sudden their afterburner kicks in and they pass me looking at me like I have 3 heads. I have been passed by pickups pulling a 30 + foot 5er and a boat behind it, while I'm doing 75 or 80 in our toad in the right lane at or near the speed limit. I'll take a highway full of truckers any day.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #25

OK. I guess I should have figured this question would have flamed the fires a bit. Let me restate a couple of things for clarity. I think my comment lumped all the big rig drivers together. That was a mistake on my part and not intentional. The majority I came in contact with did a great job of keeping things safe and working with the flow of traffic.

I did not count how many times there were situations where a trucker moved over in front of me to close but it was enough that it made me ask myself what the BLEEP. Now you guys don't know my driving abilities or my common sense abilities so no doubt you would question if I was doing something bonehead. I get that. As a former airline pilot not that long ago I can assure you I have a concept of situational awareness. I don't drive 63 in the left lane BTW. If I do it's because I'm passing someone slower than me or the road was really rough so I moved over temporarily. Let me take that thought a step further. If I do move over into the faster lane I make a point of moving back over to the right as I see a faster moving vehicle approaching from a DISTANCE before they get there. That's called be courteous to others so they don't have to slow down because of me.

My only point is this. And I mean my ONLY point. I'm driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane. Posted speed lets say 70. I'm doing 63. I will many times be in that far right lane especially if there is not many on ramps in the area. So back to my one point. I'm in the middle lane. I'm doing 63 mph. A trucker approaches from behind. Left lane is clear if they want to go around. When they do decide to go around they pull past me doing 65-70. Just a guess but a steady 2-5 mph pass. There is nobody on their ass in the left lane so if they would continue for another 10 seconds (another wag) they would give m a little more spacing. What's the big deal. Now I have 2 choices. Either ride their ass a bit or slow down to create some spacing. I would understand the need for them to quickly get over in front of me after the pass if they were doing so because of a situation that was developing behind them that required such. That would make sense and I would have slowed down gladly to accommodate the situation. Why because I'm the one doing 63 in a 70 that caused the jam up. All I'm saying here is we have an open road. Why pull in front of me and match my speed or pull away doing 1-2 mph faster creating a spacing situation for me that will take way to long to correct on it's own without me now slowing. That's what I'm missing. Now if there is an explanation for this, truly I'm all ears. If I'm the one being a bonehead I like to learn from my inexperience so please continue.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
OK. I guess I should have figured this question would have flamed the fires a bit. Let me restate a couple of things for clarity. I think my comment lumped all the big rig drivers together. That was a mistake on my part and not intentional. The majority I came in contact with did a great job of keeping things safe and working with the flow of traffic.

I did not count how many times there were situations where a trucker moved over in front of me to close but it was enough that it made me ask myself what the BLEEP. Now you guys don't know my driving abilities or my common sense abilities so no doubt you would question if I was doing something bonehead. I get that. As a former airline pilot not that long ago I can assure you I have a concept of situational awareness. I don't drive 63 in the left lane BTW. If I do it's because I'm passing someone slower than me or the road was really rough so I moved over temporarily. Let me take that thought a step further. If I do move over into the faster lane I make a point of moving back over to the right as I see a faster moving vehicle approaching from a DISTANCE before they get there. That's called be courteous to others so they don't have to slow down because of me.

My only point is this. And I mean my ONLY point. I'm driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane. Posted speed lets say 70. I'm doing 63. I will many times be in that far right lane especially if there is not many on ramps in the area. So back to my one point. I'm in the middle lane. I'm doing 63 mph. A trucker approaches from behind. Left lane is clear if they want to go around. When they do decide to go around they pull past me doing 65-70. Just a guess but a steady 2-5 mph pass. There is nobody on their ass in the left lane so if they would continue for another 10 seconds (another wag) they would give m a little more spacing. What's the big deal. Now I have 2 choices. Either ride their ass a bit or slow down to create some spacing. I would understand the need for them to quickly get over in front of me after the pass if they were doing so because of a situation that was developing behind them that required such. That would make sense and I would have slowed down gladly to accommodate the situation. Why because I'm the one doing 63 in a 70 that caused the jam up. All I'm saying here is we have an open road. Why pull in front of me and match my speed or pull away doing 1-2 mph faster creating a spacing situation for me that will take way to long to correct on it's own without me now slowing. That's what I'm missing. Now if there is an explanation for this, truly I'm all ears. If I'm the one being a bonehead I like to learn from my inexperience so please continue.
As a former air traffic controller, I get it now... lol.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I've found just the opposite to be true. We're on the homeward leg of a two month trip and I'm just about through Texas for the second time. I set my cruise at 63 and let her roll. Most big rigs in Texas are doing 75, or better and when they go to pass me I flash my high beams to let them know they're clear. Once they pull in front of me they flash their running lights in appreciation and go about their merry way.

It's cars I have problems with. They seem to think we can stop on a dime and never hesitate to cut me off and hit their brakes. Another favorite trick they have is merging onto the freeway while matching my speed. I can't move over because of traffic so I slow down a bit to let them in. What do they do? They slow down even more until I'm nearly doing 40 then they speed up pull in and take off. Me? I'm trying to pick up speed again to avoid getting run over.

There are a few truckers that are less than hospitable at times, but they are far and few between. We've covered over 5000 miles and have to get back to Seattle. So far so good and I'm sitting in El Paso. Hopefully your experience with truckers is an isolated case. I ride motorcycles as well so defensive driving is what I'm all about. Same with most professional truck drivers I've come across.
I agree with your post. The truckers that did what I was referring to was far from the majority but I think what ticked me off was these guys are good drivers. They understand the laws of physics and stopping distances. The folks driving cars sometime are a little clueless. I hold the pro's to a higher standard because of this. When I get the clueless drivers of cars pulling in front of me it's generally in city traffic. I don't like it of course but I just expect it. The truckers know better so that's why I was miffed.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #28

Quote:
As a former air traffic controller, I get it now... lol.
I'm not sure how to take that but either way it was pretty funny.

Tags
driver