Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I'm not sure how to take that but either way it was pretty funny.
My job here is done!
Be safe out there.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #30

On many 3 lane highways truck drivers are restricted to the right 2 lanes. If you are in the middle lane you are actually in the truck passing
Lane. As mentioned, slower traffic are to be in the farthest right lane.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
On many 3 lane highways truck drivers are restricted to the right 2 lanes. If you are in the middle lane you are actually in the truck passing
Lane. As mentioned, slower traffic are to be in the farthest right lane.
Well that's a good point. Just curios how many 18 wheelers you have seen going 63-65 driving in that far right lane on a posted 70-75 mph 3 lane?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #32

Now I'm going to put my 2 cent in, even if it does not mean a thing.
Being a retired driver with 40 + yrs & 3.5 million accident miles. There are truck drivers out there that shouldn't be, but use to tell myself that those were the same people that were in their car mc rv etc yesterday that cut us off or did something really stupid around a large vehicle. With that said, when a truck starts to pass please don't pace it may be going up a slight grade which is taking the speed away from it or wind etc. Just look in mirror to see how fast it i s over taking you, alot of company trucks are set 65 & under. Everybody be safe.

Ben
Old 06-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlydogs View Post
Now I'm going to put my 2 cent in, even if it does not mean a thing.
Being a retired driver with 40 + yrs & 3.5 million accident miles. There are truck drivers out there that shouldn't be, but use to tell myself that those were the same people that were in their car mc rv etc yesterday that cut us off or did something really stupid around a large vehicle. With that said, when a truck starts to pass please don't pace it may be going up a slight grade which is taking the speed away from it or wind etc. Just look in mirror to see how fast it i s over taking you, alot of company trucks are set 65 & under. Everybody be safe.

Ben

Your the exact type person I was hoping to hear from. I will keep this in mind. I don't think this was the case in most of the situations that happened to me but I will be more cognizant if it does.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #34

After reading all 32 posts and considering I have been full-timing since 2005 and traveled over 100,000 (guesstimated) miles from the Mid-West to southern California to Upper Peninsula of Michigan to New Hampshire, to Key West and a bunch of other places in between, I think "What's with the 18 Wheel drivers" is much ado about nothing!

It's generalization and stereotyping at it's best, or worst, depending on who you are.

jmho
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #35

I have been in that truck passing, while going up a hill, situation.

Because he couldn't judge the power of his truck, going up a hill, while passing me, I should slow down?

Maybe, he should back off and fall back in line, so I don't have to 're-pass him, going up, only to have him fly by, going down.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
After reading all 32 posts and considering I have been full-timing since 2005 and traveled over 100,000 (guesstimated) miles from the Mid-West to southern California to Upper Peninsula of Michigan to New Hampshire, to Key West and a bunch of other places in between, I think "What's with the 18 Wheel drivers" is much ado about nothing!

It's generalization and stereotyping at it's best, or worst, depending on who you are.

jmho
I think your right. In retrospect I was venting and it was probably not worth the post. There were some good points made however so hopefully some of us did learn some things. I did. There is no question who knows more about driving a big truck on the road an 18 wheel driver or an RV'er. I don't see many post on here about the driving side just the fixing and camping side. So maybe it's a good thing that driving situations are discussed from time to time for others to learn from. I'm sure I could have done a better job of conveying that message.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have been in that truck passing, while going up a hill, situation.

Because he couldn't judge the power of his truck, going up a hill, while passing me, I should slow down?

Maybe, he should back off and fall back in line, so I don't have to 're-pass him, going up, only to have him fly by, going down.
A basic understanding of inertia and the consequences of "lifting" (the accelerator pedal) on an 80,000 lb vehicle vs. a 30,000-40,000 lb vehicle would go along way toward all travelers being happier! Just sayin'
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I watch all traffic all the time. Defensive driving takes on a new meaning when you are pushing 26K and a toad. I have seen good drivers, okay drivers and some people who got their license out of a Kracker Jax box.

Right or wrong, when a 18 Wheeler is passing me, i maintain the same speed. Some trucks on inclines slow down, but at least they can anticipate my moves.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"noserider".....it wasn't a bad post and brought up some good discussion. I usually have no issues interacting with truck drivers and often see that when they might get pinned in behind a slower vehicle on a three lane highway, I'll move over to the number one lane and let them out. Since we're doing similar speeds, the courtesy works back and forth for many miles.

On my previous coach, I had a lot of power and could regain speed on just about any grade, but my new coach doesn't recover as well. For that reason I must disagree a little with "stik". A trucker knows his vehicle and limitations far better than most RVer's. Nothing is more aggravating than being passed on a grade where I know I can hold my speed, but know perfectly well that the truck can't. Ultimately, I'm forced to slow down to a point where I can't recover.

I watch my surroundings very carefully and try not to get into this situation, but sometimes you just can't avoid it. I'm sorry, but when I'm climbing, it's always with the cruise control on (maintaining my speed) and I'm not going to back off and get stuck behind a truck who misjudged his HP and climbing ability. If they don't have the power to pass, they can fall in behind me, unless I have an out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #40

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
There is a movement started in GA to pass a federal law to force truckers to activate their governors, set at 65 mph. The law now requires trucks to have the governors but not to use them. The legislators from GA are in support.

Contact your representatives and ask for support.
I mean no disrespect but I don't understand your statement about activating governors. There is no switch? Today it is a computer program that must be reprogrammed.
I think there is some confusion in your statement. Could you clarify this please?
Old 06-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure the truck forums are having this discussion about RV drivers too.

Truck drivers are like RV drivers, there are terrible ones, good ones and everything in between.
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I think I am going to differ with some of the opinions here. I have seen a real decline in the politeness, overall safety, and ability of the average truck driver running today. ...
My wife's cousin recently became a licensed long haul truck driver at the age of 29. He mentioned that during his training he was instructed that passing large RVs would cause them to swerve due to the wind created by his rig. He also mentioned that the instructor mentioned that "it's funny" to watch them in the mirrors trying to recover from the sudden wind blast.

So, I'm not sure if it's due to his maturity level, or the truck driving instruction that he received, but it is definitely a game to him when passing RVs. I'm sure he is not the only truck driver to have this opinion, being that he has only been professionally driving for a few months.

Tags
driver