Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #43

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have been in that truck passing, while going up a hill, situation.

Because he couldn't judge the power of his truck, going up a hill, while passing me, I should slow down?

Maybe, he should back off and fall back in line, so I don't have to 're-pass him, going up, only to have him fly by, going down.
In most cases that truck driver knew the capabilities of his truck. He passes because in order to maintain any speed at all when cresting a hill. If he stays behind you he will be holding up traffic,and a lot more people will be effected than just the fellow who has to pass him again.
If you are about to run a hill I would suggest you check your mirrors if you have a truck on your tail,boot your speed up and stay in front of him or get passed initially and than you will probably have to pass him again. Sorry but that is the way it works.
I know it is not practical for everybody to take a trucking licence but man what a bunch of people we would be if we understood what driving a rig is all about.
As one poster said there is a decline in experienced truck drivers. And that is why in a motor home the responsibility is the same.
At any given moment we have to make decisions based on what is going on around us.
I don't care if we're driving a truck, motor home or a donkey. We can't just put the cruise control on and expect the world to get out of the way.
Sorry if I sound irritated but I would like to see mandatory training for motor home drivers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
My job here is done!
Be safe out there.
BTW Flag not sure where you were working as ATC but I was a Southwest Pilot. Most of the SWA pilots did a pretty good job of making your life simpler by doing what you asked NOW and not 2 seconds from now if you know what I mean. "Keep you speed up" , cleared for takeoff" , "cleared to cross runway" , "hold short of". Just saying . I thought we worked together quite well

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #45

I have seen many trucks in the right-hand lane. When I drove otr my company had their trucks governed to 65 and the horse power was set back. Many times I have come upon a car and started to pass and just a slight incline would lower my speed. That meant I was stuck out in the left lane and unable to let off and get back over because a car was on my bumper or they had closed the space behind the vehicle and I could not get back in. The trucks that are doing the 70 or more are most likely owner operators.
Yes, I will agree that there are some drivers out there that should not be. I was taking a driver to pick up an abandoned truck, when he had to drive I felt he was unsafe. I called my safety department and told them what he was doing and they brought him back to the company on another truck and fired him.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
BTW Flag not sure where you were working as ATC but I was a Southwest Pilot. Most of the SWA pilots did a pretty good job of making your life simpler by doing what you asked NOW and not 2 seconds from now if you know what I mean. "Keep you speed up" , cleared for takeoff" , "cleared to cross runway" , "hold short of". Just saying . I thought we worked together quite well
I was USAF.. when I was working on ATC minor and Aviation Administration Major - set up to take FAA exam and Reagan fired the PATCO controllers I changed my mind on that. Don't want to start a discussion on that - but to my thinking another outcome would have been better for all. Especially for the system.

I was radar and tower certified. But radar was my primary. When I joked with ya on that, my thinking was - ya still need someone to provide separation for ya...

I missed it at first but in the long run it was the right choice for me.

Good thread here. And lots to ponder. Including how much distance is covered in a couple half standard rate turns on final....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Based on discussions with our representatives there is a federal regulation that all 18 wheelers have governors, computer controlled or otherwise. However the regulations do not mandate that they be operable. Thus except for some major carriers truckers disable the function of the 65 mph governors. The independents are the worst and most dangerous drivers on the road.

Have you ever observer J B Hunt drivers? They never speed, are most courteous, most considered drivers on the road.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #48

narampa,

I have operated and repaired trucks since 1973 and carried a CDL, since they were introduced in 1992. I have driven, almost everything, with wheels and tracks, in my career.

You make a comment that I, should speed up, when I see a truck behind me. I feel comfortable cruising at 60 MPH in my old rig, and I am not about to speed up, so a truck doesn't have to pass me.

My issue is, when a truck attempts to pass me, and looses his momentum and shadows me. Someone said, I should back down to let him in. If I back down, I will not recover any better then he can.

It's the ones, that don't quite make it, and climb right beside me, that, I feel misjudged the situation and should fall back behind me.

I don't have a problem re-passing a truck, that passed me.

If the trucker, who probably knows, he won't make the pass, stays behind me, there is no backed up traffic and he can pass me once cresting the hill.

The idea that we should get out of the way of trucks, speeding down hills, so they can climb the next, is wrong. They have lanes, for trucks struggling up hills.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #49

What's with the 18 Wheel drivers

To the OP: Why do you drive at only 63 mph on an interstate highway with a 65 or 70 mph speed limit? If you drive at the speed limit, you won't have this problem.

Having said that, I would also agree that the overall level of professionalism and courtesy among 18-wheeler drivers has dropped significantly. Very few of them use their lights to signal when it is safe for me to pull in after passing them. and almost none will acknowledge a signal to pull in after passing me. I don't regard them as "professionals" any more.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #50

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
narampa,

I have operated and repaired trucks since 1973 and carried a CDL, since they were introduced in 1992. I have driven, almost everything, with wheels and tracks, in my career.

You make a comment that I, should speed up, when I see a truck behind me. I feel comfortable cruising at 60 MPH in my old rig, and I am not about to speed up, so a truck doesn't have to pass me.

My issue is, when a truck attempts to pass me, and looses his momentum and shadows me. Someone said, I should back down to let him in. If I back down, I will not recover any better then he can.

It's the ones, that don't quite make it, and climb right beside me, that, I feel misjudged the situation and should fall back behind me.

I don't have a problem re-passing a truck, that passed me.

If the trucker, who probably knows, he won't make the pass, stays behind me, there is no backed up traffic and he can pass me once cresting the hill.

The idea that we should get out of the way of trucks, speeding down hills, so they can climb the next, is wrong. They have lanes, for trucks struggling up hills.
Your comments are valid and make a lot of sense. I have the same experience as you. Possibly more as a Company owner I have seen a lot.
I believe something got lost in translation.
The bottom line is we all want to get home in one piece.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
To the OP: Why do you drive at only 63 mph on an interstate highway with a 65 or 70 mph speed limit? If you drive at the speed limit, you won't have this problem.

Having said that, I would also agree that the overall level of professionalism and courtesy among 18-wheeler drivers has dropped significantly. Very few of them use their lights to signal when it is safe for me to pull in after passing them. and almost none will acknowledge a signal to pull in after passing me. I don't regard them as "professionals" any more.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP

I'm new to my rig and thus far from what I feel from the handling 63 mph is a good stable ride without any float or loss of control. It's also 1 mph over which the transmission shifts into 6th gear which helps for fuel economy. I'm more concerned with the handling than I am with the difference in fuel burn from 62 to 65. I might consider increasing to 65 however. Your asking me why don't I speed up so a truck driver who has a complete open road on my left and no one behind him does not need to pass me and just for the heck of it pulls right in front of me instead of continuing on for decent spacing? Last time I checked the min speed on the freeway was about 45 or 50. If I was doing that your argument would definitely hold water. No I think I will just keep my cruise missiles armed and let the cards fall where they may.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #52
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"narampa"......You have some good points, but I'm guessing you reread your post and realized that you were asking the RVer's to be inconvenienced on a grade so truckers wouldn't be, because you said, in the post above, that "twinboat" had a valid point.

I understand that the truckers are working and I appreciate what they deal with. It's easy for me to say here, but if you were to follow me while I was working and driving my County car 40K a year in Los Angeles, you would have seen me always let truckers in or change lanes because I knew how difficult it was for them in City traffic.

With that said, I worked for 40 years and paid my taxes, including Fed, State, local and highway, so I could go out on the open road in retirement and enjoy myself.

Like I said before, I try to interact well with truckers, just not a fan of being pinched behind a truck on a hill climb. I often see many trucks displaying what they pay in road taxes so people see how much it costs, but here in in California, I pay quite a bit more per mile than the trucks do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #53

Sadly, both skill and respect have been declining, on average, among all types of drivers for quite some time. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, rvs, and bicycles. I used to be surprised on a day when I saw an idiot driver. Now, I am surprised when I don't. They must not teach that old adage to 'always drive defensively' in drivers Ed class any more. Of course, many schools don't even have driver's Ed today. It seems like half the people on the road now are combat driving.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
With our CR-V in tow - the manual says 65 mph maximum. With 70 and 80 mph speed limits I am basically right always. Even then - trucks cannot merge onto freeway at 70 or 80 mph, so I am constantly aware of who and what is next to me or approaching on the left so I can move over to let the drivers on. Worse are the folks in cars that could easily merge on at or near highway speed and don't. They slow poke for a 1/4 mile or so - so I move over to pass them. And then, all of a sudden their afterburner kicks in and they pass me looking at me like I have 3 heads. I have been passed by pickups pulling a 30 + foot 5er and a boat behind it, while I'm doing 75 or 80 in our toad in the right lane at or near the speed limit. I'll take a highway full of truckers any day.
things are changing out there. todays trucker is not the same guy we used to know. The problems we encounter these days are on heaver traveled roads , i see many trucks trying to pass when they do not have the horses to do so, yes they get in my way too! The worst of times comes on multi lane urban areas, packed with traffic. Many a trucker seems to hate me being in the middle lane , not caring that i may not have traveled this bypass before. i pick the middle sometimes to avoid being in the wrong lane when the highways split, or to allow room for those entering via a on ramp. Trucks need to be aware there are others trying to do the same thing, but at a slower speed. What really pisses them off is they want MY lane, when if they really wanted they could get in the hammer lane anytime. Yes, the drivers of old have passed away . ., or are now driving a Coach like mine since they retired.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Even the worst cdl driver on the road has more training than most RVers. You just don't go out and buy a class 8 truck and learn as you go and ask questions on a forum.
Having said that yes there are some bone heads out there driving trucks.

One of the most important things to remember is that these trucks are in most cases double the weight of the rvs they are sharing the road with.
If you are travelling 63 and the trucker is governed at 65, he catches you and has to back out of the throttle to stay behind you. He likely will have to drop a gear and then his momentum is affected and when a hill comes along he is downshifting and loosing more ground not to mention fuel mileage.
If he pulls out to pass you it will take a good stretch to get by and any little rise in the road will slow him more due to the difference in weight making getting past a longer task.
I have drove many years in large trucks and have experienced many things. When I am in my coach I too like to hold it around 63 mph. When a rig is passing me and he is going by slowly I will kick the cruise off and slow down a bit and let him go. I don't like anything running that close to me for long periods of time and when in my coach I am never in that big of hurry.
To me it is common sense and you have to think about what the other guy is up against whether he is driving a Truck or an RV.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Even the worst cdl driver on the road has more training than most RVers. You just don't go out and buy a class 8 truck and learn as you go and ask questions on a forum.
Having said that yes there are some bone heads out there driving trucks.

One of the most important things to remember is that these trucks are in most cases double the weight of the rvs they are sharing the road with.
If you are travelling 63 and the trucker is governed at 65, he catches you and has to back out of the throttle to stay behind you. He likely will have to drop a gear and then his momentum is affected and when a hill comes along he is downshifting and loosing more ground not to mention fuel mileage.
If he pulls out to pass you it will take a good stretch to get by and any little rise in the road will slow him more due to the difference in weight making getting past a longer task.
I have drove many years in large trucks and have experienced many things. When I am in my coach I too like to hold it around 63 mph. When a rig is passing me and he is going by slowly I will kick the cruise off and slow down a bit and let him go. I don't like anything running that close to me for long periods of time and when in my coach I am never in that big of hurry.
To me it is common sense and you have to think about what the other guy is up against whether he is driving a Truck or an RV.
Ok..This is my last post on the subject. A trucker (many) passed me without any trouble only to pull right in front of me for no reason other than they felt like it. All that was required to make that pass safely and give at least 40-60 ft spacing between us was continue the pass for a bit longer. No hill, no grade no sudden burst of wind to slow them down. You can spin this any way you want. It's not rocket science and you don't need a 100 years of driving a truck to see this for what it is . For all the reasons that were given to slow this truck down during the pass are legit. But what I was involved in that did not occur. As I mentioned before I hold truckers to a higher standard cause they know better and truly are skilled drivers. This happened...it was real and the parties involved made some crappy maneuvers and they most likely knew it at the time. This was the minority but I was a little surprised that it occurred at all. I was not in fear for my life but it was necessary for me to slow down to give adequate spacing to be safe in the event of a sudden stop. This inconvenience was not necessary and far from appreciated. End of story for me. Peace out.

Tags
driver