Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #15

When we decided to upgrade from a class C to a class A, the absolute, no exceptions requirement was that our new coach did NOT have a slide on the curb side for exactly the same reasons... intruding on patio space, stooping and reaching under slide to get at the most often used cargo bays. I first looked at Winnebago, but nope, all models had curb side slides, another brand which interested me was Newmar and they had a model with both slides on the driver side and a floor plan we liked, so that sealed the deal. Unfortunately they discontinued that model and now don't offer any models without curb side slides. I wish more manufactures would pay attention to what consumers actually want when it comes to things like this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of stuff to whine about motorhome design, but this isn't one of them.

With the amount of interior space that I get from deep slides (curb and driver sides) I'm willing to do a little bending to get stuff out of the bays. Keeps me limber.

The awing issue is easily remedied if the manufacturer uses a slide mounted awning. Works great when you need shade on that side and you can extend it the full width if needed (which is 3' further than the body mounted slides).

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #17

That explains why we chose our Tiffin 36LA. Give up a little interior for a much more useable exterior and outside compartment access. I dread accessing driver's side compartments. Head bumps to prove it.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Life in a MH is always about trade offs.

One poster wrote that he would like it to use fuel like a 20', park like a 30', drive like 40', and fold out to 65 at the campground.

Make is so and beam me up.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

When we chose our 12 year old Allegro Bus, the curb side slide was one of the things we did not want. Mainly because the coach mounted awnings open pretty much straight out, therefore high. We love the huge awning that opens low because, like others, we spend a lot of time outside. However, visited with some friends with a quad slide Beaver and now the DW loves the extra inside space. Ideally, slide mounted awnings would help that some, but getting to the storage bay would still be an issue. Makes going to look at different ones remain an interesting sport.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
One poster wrote that he would like it to use fuel like a 20', park like a 30', drive like 40', and fold out to 65 at the campground.
I guess we just have to wait until the RV manufacturer's develop the technology needed for Dr Who's Tardis: small and compact on the outside, and infinitely large on the inside.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I guess we just have to wait until the RV manufacturer's develop the technology needed for Dr Who's Tardis: small and compact on the outside, and infinitely large on the inside.

That would be ideal. Just hope I would be around to enjoy that technology!!

Mike H
Bubba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
On our old Safari, the basements slide out with the slides -- yes, it has reduced storage, but no bending over beneath the slides to get stuff out. Each RV design is a trade off.!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as you don't plan on sitting outside much, it's not an issue because there is so much more room inside when setup.

At least 30% to 50% of the entire curb side awing patio space is rendered useless due to big curb side slide outs.

At a recent USC tailgate party this past year I visited a sparkly brand new Tiffen Zephyr. It had a slide out kitchen on the curb side that was not out, (none of the slides were out), to maximize patio space. Peeking inside, there was still more than enough space to walk through to the bathroom.

When you need patio space, you apparently really don't need to use the slide out.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We must have driven 40 coaches before DW fell in love with our '08 NRV Pacifica. It has a 24', 36" super slide on the passenger side and two slides (lounge/kitchen and king bed) on the drivers side. It is massive on the inside, yet is very livable inside with the slides retracted. as NRV is out of biz, I was nervous about buying this unit but we couldn't find anything nearly as nice for twice the price. It does have slide mounted awnings and the batteries have to be fully charged to extend the slides, but we love it! Yeah, bending over is a pain, but worth it
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO if it came to a vote the bend over to get to the bay would be in the majority if all of the factors were considered.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We went from a TT with a huge awning and no slideouts on the curb side to a Class C bunkhouse. The bunkhouse was deep and eat up most of the patio space. The very first time we used that thing we hated it. We always seemed to need something under the bunkhouse slide that required crawling around under it and we had enough awning for 2 people. Our temprary solution was an easy up canopy that we would throw up and expand shaded area but after 5 years we moved to a class A and wanted one with very little or NO curbside slide and a big awning. The only slide on the curbside of ours is the bedroom and it is so far back that our 18 foot awning gives plenty of room.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO if it came to a vote the bend over to get to the bay would be in the majority if all of the factors were considered.
I will likely feel the same way when I'm old enough to go Full Time...
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
I will likely feel the same way when I'm old enough to go Full Time...
And maybe you've hit on something here... I wonder how many of the people who don't mind bending under the slide to get to their basement compartments are (1) younger and (2) not full-time?

Maybe it's an issue of being willing to live with it because you don't have to deal with it that often if you're just a weekender or occasional RVer as opposed to a full-timer who may be in-and-out of those spots more often.

I'm full-time (but not that old)... and having a deep slide on the curb side over the basement compartments I use most often is a show-stopper for me.

Tags
slide, slideout