Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
And maybe you've hit on something here... I wonder how many of the people who don't mind bending under the slide to get to their basement compartments are (1) younger and (2) not full-time?
Yes, that most certainly makes a difference. I have a hard time bending/crawling under the slide to get to the compartments, but I'm a weekender (even though it can often be most weekends.) I've learned to get everything out that we will need before the slides are opened, and I don't have to duck under often. So when I do, it's infrequent and I don't mind it as much, and would rather have the interior space. (I'm not retired, but I have the fortunate ability to take work on the road with me. We travel to go to dog shows, not for vacation. So I'm usually inside working, while she's grooming dogs and getting them ready: neither of us spend much time sitting outside on the patio. Interior space is very important for us.)

Everybody uses their coach differently, and has different needs and expectations. You're going to get a wide variety of responses on a topic like this, which really just boils down to personal preference, nothing more.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #30

IMHO, the only reason to have a slide on the camp side is for more room in the coach. I for one would never have one with this design, the outdoors space is what I enjoy the most. But then again, I don't live in it full time either. To each his own, just get out and enjoy whatever is your cup of tea.
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in our coach 5 months a year and travel in it for weekends to equal another month. While bending over to get stuff out of the compartments it is more than offset by the interior room. Most of the items we need are infrequently needed. We store a lot of pantry type items, but I do store my golf clubs and use them two times a week. While I do not consider myself old I do collect old age pension.

I would be leary of only having slides on one side of the unit. I expect there would be issues with the weight diffential and torque on the frame and jacks if weight were not balanced by having slides on both sides. I think there would be issues with keeping the coach leveled as one set of jacks would be carrying much more weight than the other side.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We live in our coach 5 months a year and travel in it for weekends to equal another month. While bending over to get stuff out of the compartments it is more than offset by the interior room. Most of the items we need are infrequently needed. We store a lot of pantry type items, but I do store my golf clubs and use them two times a week. While I do not consider myself old I do collect old age pension.

I would be leary of only having slides on one side of the unit. I expect there would be issues with the weight diffential and torque on the frame and jacks if weight were not balanced by having slides on both sides. I think there would be issues with keeping the coach leveled as one set of jacks would be carrying much more weight than the other side.

I agree with you Gordon on the bending over to get stuff out of the compartments is more than offset by the interior room. Love love love the extra interior room!
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the Dutch Star we had about a 24" slide on the pass side. It did make the under awning area narrower and the storage bay access worse. So, if we were outside I sometimes brought it in and I tried to get stuff out of the bays before we extended it again. Didn't always work that way though. Another thing was that the storage bay freezer was under that slide. The freezer was on a slide but it didn't quite come out far enough to open it all the way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Another thing was that the storage bay freezer was under that slide. The freezer was on a slide but it didn't quite come out far enough to open it all the way.
Did that freezer come from the factory? If so, I think that's a serious design flaw.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:42 AM   #35

I never figured out why we need two slides in the LR. It just creates a large floor space is all. In the bedroom with an east west bed it adds storage facilities but in the LR I lose storage. They do not add extra drawers or facilities in the LR like they do in the bedroom. The space is like a dance floor. You can set up tables on it but Truely it seems to be wasted space and added weight and extra stuff to go wrong. Many highline coaches have three slides and that would be the Max for me too. I like my two slide setup and might consider three but never four. The intrusion in the patio area and the bending to get under them is a pain.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
I never figured out why we need two slides in the LR. It just creates a large floor space is all.
LOL! Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad there is a choice, I can have my opposing LR slides, and you can get one without it.

Sometimes I wish the slides would go even further out. At a dog show, with both slides out, we can sometimes hardly move: All of the "dance floor" is filled with a grooming table, a large stand hair dryer, dog beds, and dog toys scattered about (I've yet to be able to teach them to pick up after themselves.)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #37

What's with the trend of deep, curb-side slideouts?

My DW chose extra space: 4 slides, 2 are deep. We are fulltimers and love the elbow room, enough room to entertain, and enough space for both of us to cook. In good weather, we pretty much live and cook outdoors.
End of topic for me!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #38

I for one am a baby boomer, I use my storage compartments for everything outdoors. I pre-plan my unloading on slide side. Mostly the wife and I are weekends and/or week at a time, travelers, therefor we use the motor home for travel not living indoors. What I'm trying to say is motor home floor space is not that important, good book, a brew, and a camp fire is at the top of our list.

Tags
slide, slideout