Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question What's with the trend of deep, curb-side slideouts?

Has anyone else noticed (and been bothered by) the apparent trend of having the deeper (sometimes flush-floor) slideout on the CURB side of the RV?

Seems to me that this makes it:
  1. A PITA to reach the storage compartments. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm constantly in and out of the basement storage compartments in that area of the coach. And having to bend over and scoot in under a deep slide would be a MAJOR turnoff to me.
  2. Intrude on your patio space.
  3. Reduce the amount of shade that's being provided on the patio by the main awning if the awning is mounted to the sidewall of the RV and not to the slide.
I know that the manufacturers need to change things around so that each new model year has something different to offer (so that we're enticed to sell our current, perfectly good RVs, LOL!), but what about usability?

Sorry to rant...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1) No difference, I find it just as hard to get to storage under the shallow slideouts.

2) Just park a little farther away from the patio area.

3) Definitely a problem, I find that even my shallow curb side slide swallows up too much of the usable awning awning area.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
1) No difference, I find it just as hard to get to storage under the shallow slideouts.
I know what you mean... even my 18" deep curb side slide means I need to crouch a bit to get to the storage doors. But at least once I do, I can slide out the slide-tray(s) and then stand up again to access what's on the tray. (if you don't have slide trays in your basement storage, then I really feel your pain in having to crouch down the whole time!

The new coaches seem to have 24-36" deep curb side slides... so even with the slide tray(s) extended, everything that's on the tray is still underneath the slide!

Good for keeping it all dry if it's raining out, I guess. But not very good for actually accessing the stuff on the slide tray.

Makes me wonder if anyone in the engineering/design departments ever tried to use their own design?!

Disappointing... and I guess it just means that I'll have to wait to buy a new coach until the "trend" moves back to deep slides on the street side.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the OP...but really any curbside slide-out (deep or not) is gonna impact the campsite.

The rearmost slides are the least impact...but still is an obstruction on the valuable campsite side of the coach.

I believe it is all about interior floorspace now. Customers want bigger, bigger, bigger!
But as a current RV'r, I would avoid curb (campsite) side slides.

YMMV

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

We still have plenty of space inside if we leave the kitchen slide in the MH. So , we choose depending upon where we are and what we are doing.

Our rig also has one baggage compartment just in front of the slide. That's the beverage compartment -accessible with slide in or out!

The rear slide has to be out (tight squeeze into bathroom and drawer access in master) but doesn't interfere with patio use.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Good for keeping it all dry if it's raining out, I guess.
Now that's putting a positive spin on it!

I just take out everything I think we'll need before putting the slides out, makes it much easier that way. Now, with everything we could possibly need already out, that means I'll only have to crawl under there three or four times per weekend.

I do have the sliding tray, but usually I'm just under there for one thing at a time, and it's easier to just grab the item rather than pull the tray out. (Times like that it would be nice to have a powered tray...)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Sleeping in a MH is always a compromise of available space.

One just needs to pick a rig that fits their needs.

We have no slides and hence can get easily into our pass through bays with sliders.

If the new set up does not fit your needs, keep the old one. Works for us.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

What's with the trend of deep, curb-side slideouts?

I have deep slides on both sides. Slides don't mind a bit of excercise. Push the button, get your stuff. Dun.
But I usually just duck down.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
...(Times like that it would be nice to have a powered tray...)
Yeah... it's a shame Western RV went out of business... wasn't there an Alpine Coach that had electrically-operated basement compartments? Push a button (now it could be a remote or an app on your phone! ) and the whole basement compartment slide out for easy access!

Of course... it's just something else to break ! But when working, it would've been nice!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the curbside is the only way they may have to increase space. When we park our MH against the pad we have only about 5" between the slide and the services pedestal.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I believe the curbside is the only way they may have to increase space. When we park our MH against the pad we have only about 5" between the slide and the services pedestal.
Gordon & Janet,

You may be right... but thinking on it some more, I think part of the driving force may also be that full-wall slides are becoming more popular, too... and they seem to like putting that slide on the street/driver's side. Since the full-wall slides don't seem to be as deep (that's a LOT of weight/mechanism to move), they need to put the deeper slides on the curb/passenger's side.

Oh well... as DeanDec suggested... I guess I'll just be keeping my current RV!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Gordon & Janet,

Oh well... as DeanDec suggested... I guess I'll just be keeping my current RV!
Your MADP is a very nice rig. It probably does most everything a new one would.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #13

That's one of the reasons we're still in our 12 year old 2 slide out coach, I don't like the curb side slide taking up more and more of the available outside entertaining area. The DW and I spend a lot of our time outside and like someone else said, I'm in and out of the compartments on the curb side a lot. Now that I'm older I don't bend and flex as well as I used to, the old knees don't seem to bend as much for some reason. My favorite floor plan is a 3 slide plan like the Monaco Windsor and Scepter PRT floor plans had. But everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Mike H
Bubba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Your MADP is a very nice rig. It probably does most everything a new one would.
Thanks Dean. We DO love our current RV... except there's one significant thing it can't do that a new one could: be shorter!

At 43', we're limited with where we can go/stay at times (i.e. National Parks, State/Provincial Parks, etc)... and a shorter RV would allow us some more freedom.

Oh well... we may have to wait for the "design pendulum" to swing back to something more compatible!

Tags
slide, slideout