Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #85

I stay on my lane unless I have plaint of space to go out and come back in, but wha.t really gets me is my other half insisting that I slow down so the trucks can pass me hahaha I said ya right

Zzotte
zzotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Seems to me that in some states this "rule" doesn't seem to be supported by the actual layout of ramps and road markings.
It's not a rule, it's a law. In all states it is the responsibility of the merging traffic to merge in a safe manner. It is not the responsibility of the mainstream traffic to yield to the folks coming in from the on ramp. Doesn't have anything to do with road markings. However, in most cases you will notice a large sign positioned for the the traffic on the ramp that says "YIELD". It kinda means, well, yield.

I really can't understand why so many folks have trouble with the concept.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #87

What's wrong with CARS and not understanding right of way on an onramp?

This evening, as we were driving from dinner back to the campground, a moose began galloping alongside, keeping pace with the car. He was trying to merge, but obviously did not understand the concept. Fortunately, he had the sense to not merge into the car. Despite having the right of way, DW chose to slow down and stop. The moose passed, merged ahead of us and made an immediate left into the bush at the side of the road. A few miles farther, the raccoon crossing the road clearly assumed that wherever he was going was the right of way. Farther still, the red fox on the shoulder timidly yielded and crossed behind us. Some mammals get it, some don’t.

True story.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree the number of people that are clueless as to the rules of merging is absolutely amazing and annoying. Simple concept, if you are merging it's your responsibility to merge not mine to let you in.

I try hard to be a considerate driver, if I can let you in I will but I'm certainly not stopping to let you in. I watch this merging closely as they concern me.

I remember from high school driver's ed the phrase "better to yield right of way than to be dead right" Seems more important today with increasing number of those who can't put the phone down to focus on driving, those that just are clueless, those who just believe that we are to cater to them like this that put a turn signal on and think the rest of us should just stop to allow them to change lanes, etc....
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #89

Agreed I was always under the impression that when your blinker is on it signals intent to move over and not the right to move over. And apparently do it without looking in the mirror.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Agreed I was always under the impression that when your blinker is on it signals intent to move over and not the right to move over. And apparently do it without looking in the mirror.
But many times I'm gaining on the vehicle in my lane, check left mirror, car 50 ft behind trailer. Few seconds later, closer to the one I'm overtaking, the car has not gained, is running same speed as me. I put on TS, and watch the car squat, jump up beside trailer, then slow to match my speed, until I have to slow because of vehicle in front of me. Watch this time after time, over years, and know that the 4,000 lb car can stop faster than my 40 ton truck. Just change lanes w/o signal, or signal intent, but don't ask permission.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #91

Just a question: how can they merge safely if we don’t leave enough space between vehicles for them. Are they just supposed to stop when they reach the end of the merge lane?
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #92

I've been doing this driving thing a long time............. figured Out a LONG TIME AGO.... they all want to be in the Space I'm in

So leave some space - always leave more than you need - as I'm pretty sure someone will fill it.

Drive at least 1/2 a mile out in front of yourself, when you have Ramps in your Future leave a space, slow down or get over.

Often even in the left lane you will need to be thinking of the other guy who didn't look out ahead Leave a little space - be a help, not a PITA.

Really makes little difference Who's got the Law on their side if you let the fool crash into YOU you will not be HAPPY! ......

No one wants to be behind that SLOW RV so Trust me they will always try to get in front of you - Just a fact of Life.

How many pages on How to Drive - ..........................Just Crazy

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #93

Tiffin Owners Club
We were traveling on an interstate somewhere West, probably Montana or Wyoming. We had a 3/4 ton diesel truck and a 30’ trailer so fairly obvious. We are in the right lane and a big cruising motorcycle comes up the entrance lane, seemingly totally unaware of us. Someone is on our left so we can’t move over. We start talking to ourself - surely the MC will see and speed up in front or slow down to merge behind. Surely! Nope. The MC is getting too close to the end of the ramp and we honk the horn. It was immediately obvious that they had not seen us at all! There was a jerk on the cycle, and a fast braking, and they eventually slipped in behind us. The driver had on a huge full face helmet, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t turn their heads just a bit!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
We were traveling on an interstate somewhere West, probably Montana or Wyoming. We had a 3/4 ton diesel truck and a 30’ trailer so fairly obvious. We are in the right lane and a big cruising motorcycle comes up the entrance lane, seemingly totally unaware of us. Someone is on our left so we can’t move over. We start talking to ourself - surely the MC will see and speed up in front or slow down to merge behind. Surely! Nope. The MC is getting too close to the end of the ramp and we honk the horn. It was immediately obvious that they had not seen us at all! There was a jerk on the cycle, and a fast braking, and they eventually slipped in behind us. The driver had on a huge full face helmet, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t turn their heads just a bit!
Like I said "They all want the Space your In"

No Matter the SIZE!

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I've been doing this driving thing a long time............. figured Out a LONG TIME AGO.... they all want to be in the Space I'm in

So leave some space - always leave more than you need - as I'm pretty sure someone will fill it.

Drive at least 1/2 a mile out in front of yourself, when you have Ramps in your Future leave a space, slow down or get over.

Often even in the left lane you will need to be thinking of the other guy who didn't look out ahead Leave a little space - be a help, not a PITA.

Really makes little difference Who's got the Law on their side if you let the fool crash into YOU you will not be HAPPY! ......

No one wants to be behind that SLOW RV so Trust me they will always try to get in front of you - Just a fact of Life.

How many pages on How to Drive - ..........................Just Crazy

JMHO,
Good post. "Be a help, not a PITA" bears repeating. I seriously do try. I look up the road as far as I can see and watch for developing situations. If I can't get left one lane safely and count on getting back, I'll slow a tad if necessary and open a hole in front of me trying to give merging a traffic a safe way in. But even then, occasionally, someone will come up the ramp, get right beside me, and just stay there. What the heck?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
[emoji144]...[emoji144]...[emoji144]...[emoji144]

Seems as if many are just forgetting "Common Courtesy" - I try to drive as if the driver in the on ramp was My GrandMother - And YES she needs all the Help She can Get, so just try to make it easier for the other driver and keep it Safe.

Couple of things many people could do to help out - Use Your Lights to Signal - Turn signals help as to you intentions - and the Head light signals are a big Help.

So you ask "So is there some secret headlight vocabulary that I'm missing out on?"

The reasons I flash my high beams:
  • It's your turn to go, at a 4-way stop, so go already
  • I'm letting you out in front of me
  • It's OK to pull back in front of me, you are clear
  • There is a cop up ahead, slow down
  • There is a dangerous situation up ahead, slow down
  • Turn off your damn high beams when you're coming at me
  • Get out of my way, the left lane is for passing

There is no specific system of sequences of flashes, as far as I'm aware. And I'm sure everyone has their own systems which are vastly different from mine,

After someone gives you the flash allowing you out a few flashes of the 4 ways is a Thank You

So Smile,
Slow Down
Be Courteous
And say Thank You as you drive down the Highways,

A little courtesy goes a long way - Who Knows it might even Catch On.

JMHO,

[emoji44][emoji849]🤣

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I don't know where you got that information but I'd sure like to see a link to a reliable source. It might be appropriate in some cases but I know of no place where it is required or even recommended.

The mainstream traffic should simply maintain their speed so on ramp traffic can match and merge. If the mainstream traffic starts speeding up or slowing down it will sure make it difficult for the on ramp traffic to judge and match your speed to facilitate their merge.
X2
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
[emoji44][emoji849]🤣

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

If everyone drove like this the roads would be so much safer. Most drivers seem to be to worried about being right.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote