RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation What's wrong with CARS and not understanding right of way on an onramp?

I've noticed this a lot since RV'ing going on 1 year now...cars when on an onramp coming onto the highway think they have the right of way and the traffic (us in BIG RV's) should yield to them. One time I remained in my lane and maintained speed and the car even honked at me in a rage as if I was supposed to move out of their way. I saw this several times today to the point that I am making an even bigger effort to make the lane change as cars just don't understand who yields to who NOR do they speed up or slow down to merge into highway traffic. I know of a few incidents now of the MH getting hit so I'm making a more concerted effort to avoid this situation. Truly baffling, and yes, I change lanes to open up the inside lane if I can but I can't always do so and prefer not to be the one to slam on the brakes as it's their responsibility to make the merge happen.

Have you noticed this as well in your motorhome travels?

P.S. Yes, I'm aware cinergi just had an incident from this very situation in his New Aire!

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #2

I have seen this many times. They dont seem aware of the size of rvs. I dont expect transport trucks to change lanes for me when Im in my car. You either speed up and merge, or slow down and merge. Lots of times there are cars in the hammer lane, and you cant get over, even if you want to. A good blast on the air horn usually gets their attention if they linger too long beside me.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
See this thread

Major accident with my RV
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

I alway try to be considerate of other drivers and in heavy traffic I try to move left 1 lane or slow down to let them in if I can do so safely. My coach is worth more than most of the cars on the road. Why take a chance on butt head running into the side of me.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't blame the cars, blame the human that is driving it.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
I alway try to be considerate of other drivers and in heavy traffic I try to move left 1 lane or slow down to let them in if I can do so safely. My coach is worth more than most of the cars on the road. Why take a chance on butt head running into the side of me.
I do the same, but with a total length of 58 feet with a toad, and acceleration of a snail, it's not always easy to do.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #7

I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of drivers ed in high school. Kids read the manual, take the on line practice tests, but never get a real grasp as to what yield means.

Right behind the on ramps, is the traffic circles, or worse, the traffic circles with two lanes.

Give me an empty stretch of roadway any day.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Happens all the time. I don't even bother getting out their way unless a crash is imminent. Fun to watch these inept drivers trying to function.

The problem is every state's DMV. There is zero training to get a driver's license and zero continuing training. Getting a license is far too easy. Many of these people only know how to point a car and step on the gas or brake. They no nothing about the rules of the road or how to use proper judgment. My comments come from 30 years as an LEO.

And I'll lump we RV drivers into the mix. Why do I need a CDL to drive motorhomes for my employer when a buyer can come in to the store, plop down the funds, and drive away in a 45 footer with no previous experience? Doesn't make any sense to me.

What's needed is what happens in the airplane world. I had to have professional training for a license, not mom and pop teaching me, and recurrency training with an instructor every two years.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

What's wrong with CARS and not understanding right of way on an onramp?

Last week I had a merging car driver expect me to yield to him. He just stayed right beside me instead of moving forward or back until he ran out of ramp and hit the brakes. He then merged behind me, cut me off and hit the brakes in front of me. Guess it made him feel better.

On a lighter note, a woman approaching on the main road as I entered the road from a parking lot started honking angrily. As far as I can tell, she was upset at the fact that my towed vehicle did not stop and wait its turn at the stop sign.
TwelveVolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #10

Try driving oversize loads and trying to get along with Everyone!! Try working with other big rig drivers!! Try working with RV's camping out in the Wrong Lane impending traffic because they don't want to drive in the correct lane. Been driving Professionally for over 40 years and Still haven't seen it all.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
motorized toy collector

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Then there are the drivers that do not understand that an on ramp is designed for vehicles to reach hiway speed before they reach the end of it.

I am all for license refresher tests every 5 years. Like hazmat CDL holders. Those drivers even have to be fingerprinted and background checked every 5 years too.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #12

My last trip from Colorado to Florida and back experienced a number of instances where drivers entering the freeway from ramp created issues. I try to drive in the right lane at a constant speed and often slow to allow cars to enter or move to other lane when possible. Most of the time it seems I am locked in my original lane and cannot move over and more often than not the driver entering freeway is not up to freeway speed and just pulls in front as the ramp runs out of real estate...Just need to drive defensively and expect the unexpected since our rigs cannot maneuver quickly.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #13

On ramp habits vary by location. When I first moved to this area in western NC I found that adjusting my speed to let them in was a huge mistake. If you sped up they took it personally and would honk instead of slowing and moving over. I almost killed myself slowing to let them over because they slow down too. Next thing you know you both are going 35 mph and they still havenít moved over.

What I did find the like is when you keep your same speed and they drive to the end of the ramp and literally stop and wait to get on. Fortunately they donít seem to cut over at the last minute.

This is the only place I have lived where Iíve almost taken out a HWP with my truck because they cut into traffic on a solid line and donít look. Thatís a SC thing. Lol

My son took drivers ED here. They donít cover merging. Itís passed down from generation to generation. The other thing passed down is two foot driving, braking with the left foot. They ride the brakes constantly. Had an employee tell me he did it cause thatís the way they drive in NASCAR.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 AM   #14

Same issue with driving a semi...even if you have the room to move over, they typically hem you in by running along side you in your blindspots so you can't get back in your lane...that's why you see so many semis in the middle Lane going thru major cities. Although it pisses people off your impeding the middle Lane it lessens the interaction with the numerous morons that don't know the meaning of a yield sign

Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote