Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Those are some awesome pictures. Makes it even harder to wait to go. Have yet to use the (new to us) RV.
Holy cow your one boat is as big as your RV.

2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
We're full-timers; our MH does have all the conveniences of any other home. We don't make any pretense that we're camping, we RV!

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
For me, at age 68, my tent camping days are in the past. Loved it when I was younger, but the MH makes a great "Mother Ship" while on the road now.

When I want to boondock, the motorcycle takes me there.

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
What we do, I don't really consider camping, we call it RVing.
We don't stay in state or national parks, because usually no full hook-ups and the trees block my satellite tv reception.
When the kids were young, back in the '70s & 80s, we had travel trailers and went camping in the parks and boondocks, great fun.
Now we stay in RV parks that have full hook-ups, cable tv, laundry, wi-fi, and the other things that make life easy.
Now days, "roughing it" means we have to watch cable tv because there is a tree in the way of the satellite, or we only have 30amp service and can only run one AC unit at a time.
Now that I think about it, since we bought the MH, we have never spent a night in it that we didn't have full hook-ups, and that's the way we like it.
To each his own.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, to each is own -- and I'd like to own some of those toys Playitforward has:>).
We call it "taking a motorhome trip".
For us, camping is in our tent or me soloing it with my hammock.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call it Camping, RVing, Traveling, Relaxing, the Word is Enjoying!!!
2003 Newmar Scottsdale
1997 Harley FLHT
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Thor Owners Club
DW calls it glamping (glamour camping). Its the same thing, the older I get the more I want my comforts.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
I just got my DW into the idea of camping (RVing) a year ago (both of us are in our 60's). When I was much younger I tent camped, had a pop up, and a Truck Camper but this was before I met the DW. Her idea of roughing it was a $39.95 motel so the only way for us to go was the Motor Coach...rolling bathroom!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Who gets to define "camping"? I know this much, ain't nobody can tell me I'm "not camping" just because I'm using a motorhome!

To wit (and is this ever a blast from the past)

3 motorhomes ago, our old '78 CruiseAir, out in the desert...

Our '92 Winnebago Brave, camping up by some nearby lakes...

Annnddd, this is what happens when you go beach camping at Flaming Gorge and show up and midnight... oops!

Camping in the high Unita's...

More desert camping. No paved roads to this place!

This is a little less 'earthy', camping at campground near Strawberry Reservoir...

And we do plenty of boat camping, this is a campground at Flaming Gorge, AWAY from the beach!

After we sold the Winnebago we ended up with an '87 CruiseAir III, got it for a song, and it served us well. Same place as the last picture...

And some beach/boat camping at Yuba Reservoir (we're on the far left)

And our current rig, our 40' Allegro Bus-- Pictured on the same beach as above, but with a flat tire...

(the only proof I'm actually ON the beach is this accidental pic!)

And then our one trip last year, we went to the same lake, but we decided to 'rough is smoothly' in their nice campground. Here's the total rig:

And the campground, nice digs (but still has a fireplace and BBQ!!)

Yes, as we're getting older, I appreciate the extra luxuries. But I'm still not afraid to get my rig dirty!

And if YOU think it's camping--- it's CAMPING!
Great pix, nice boats too!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I feel the older you get the more comfort you want. You can go camping and still have some comfort. I just want to eat will ( DW loves to cook ) have a warm shower and a soft bed. I still love a camp fire and long walks, just want some comfort in my older age.
Or is it the older you get, the more comfort you can afford?.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What we do is still pretty much camping; it’s not as rugged as it used to be. When I was young and lived with my parents, we always went camping in a small C-class or truck and camper and took the boat to go fishing. When I was grown up and still single I used to backpack, just a one man tent sleeping bag and fishing pole. When I go married and it became us, got a bigger tent and an air mattress, many rained out weekends wet and cold, DW was new to the whole out doors thing, never done any thing like this before. After the kids were grown we got a little 15ft TT then a 24ft TT, now we are in a 28ft 5ver. Our daughter now accuses use of being glampers (glamour campers), she has her own little truck and drives out to the boondocks and throws a tarp over the back of the truck and calls it camp (took after me despite her best efforts).
We still go to the same spots we used to 20 years ago (either forestry of provincial campgrounds) and do all the hiking and fishing, sitting around the camp fire at night and just getting out and enjoying nature. So as far as I se it we are still camping, on the rare occasion that we go to a plug-in RV Resort (Parking Lot) I will concede that we are RV'ers.
It sure is nice though that there is no air mattress that deflates in the middle of the night and you don’t have to get all suited up to go pee at 0500 in the dark.

In the future when we retire and go fulltime in the RV I think we will be RV'ers. Change addresses when we get bored of the scenery and Cruise down the road till we find something else new to see.

08 F350 King Ranch hauling a 09 28' Jazz 5th wheel.
randyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
My ideas about camping are fairly simple and straight forward. I like to find quiet, secluded places, be it a campground or boonies and just enjoy the out doors and the calm. I dont handle crowds well but tough them out if I have to. I like natural settings best and places I can observe the wildlife and nature in general. But then each to his/her own plan.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started in a 9 x 9 umbrella tent, then a pop-up, couple of truck campers, a Class C and now two different Class A's. We seem to camp pretty much the same just with a lot more ammentities. Wouldn't trade it for anything. We enjoy the lifestyle alot.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
Ford Super Duty Owner
My idea of "Camping" is HD TV, comfortable recliner, good home cooked food and cold beer. My Idea of home is the same + swimming pool and golf buddies. We are not realy campers we are travelers. We set up see whatever there is to see in the area then move on down the road and do it again.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote