Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
Vintage RV Owners Club
I was one who swore that real camping is tenting/cooking over open fire, only using a stove when it's too wet and kids too hungry....Problem was I was alone doing it most the time... hubby doesn't care for sleeping bags and cement shower house floors, etc.
I know we won't be getting away from most of what he doesn't like about camping... but perhaps just enough to make it more tolerable for him more than once a year. I'm getting older and the ground seems to suck more heat out of me and get harder every year... by the time I pack up enough stuff to make it more comfortable and tolerable for me... I might as well have an RV... so I bought one! Not sure I will call it camping as I haven't been out in it yet, still getting it cleaned and making sure it works right,but I'll see as time goes on where I fall on the great debate!

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The kids first saw our current MH they said WOW! how many does it sleep?
I said 2!............. and let me show you how to set up my tent! Thats Camping..

May the wind be at your back,The sun in your face
And your love by your side!!
USMC 68/74 RVN 69/70. Semper-Fi!
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
Anytime out with the RV and not at home...be it boondocking, fair grounds, private land, etc.
BBQ, bonfires, and good friends are always part of "camping" for us
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
DW and I were just discussing this yesterday, we had a hard time getting on the same page. We're heading out Friday to a remote campground in Utah in the Alpine.

I consider "camping" being out in either rig if we're boondocking or at a primitive campground i.e. no hookups of any kind, quiet, self serv, un-attended and no amenities other than possibly a shelter/table/fire ring.

She said in the bus nothing we did was truly "camping" it was "RV'ing". I'm only camping when I'm in the truck camper or tent. Note the "I", the camper is too small for both of us and a dog or three. I think the only reason she gave me the "camping" in the truck camper is "camper" is in the name.

We did agree that if in a full service campground in either rig it was more "RV'ing than camping.

However she did say that if a person was in the tent area of the full service campground in a tent they were "camping".

Aint semantics funny?
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
Great Lakes, I pretty much do what you are describing, in my 40ft DP. It is a 1990 Overland and it is showing its years on the outside but comfy as heck on the inside. I take up to 10 kids for 2 weeks in the summer to a state park. They get tents, (they love 'em!) cots and sleeping bags. The cots are more for my peace of mind--if it rains and the tents leak (or the little darlings leave the door unzipped at the bottom) they usually sleep through the night anyway and I don't have as much laundry! I get the queen bed with the upgraded mattress and the indoor bathroom. I have a pretty sweet set up for an outdoor kitchen with a couple of canopies, a couple of 8 ft. folding tables, my Camp Chef grill and a Cabela's camp kitchen. I just do not have the room inside to cook for that many people so it works for me. The kids are not allowed to hang out in the motorhome either and like you, no tv but an occasional video. I don't use the shower in the mh-I use the campground shower and so do the kids. I insist that they all bring something to read in case of rain, and I keep a large supply of paper, crayons, markers and coloring books on hand. I also keep a half dozen decks of cards and a slew of rain ponchos from the dollar store on hand. They would rather be outdoors, as long as it isn't storming. A few bubbles and glow-anything also help keep them amused and the littler one use the glow stuff for night lights. So, camping, glamping or rv'ing--whatever you call it--it is so much fun and "my kids" look forward to it all year long. I have been able to teach them to respect nature, respect other people and to leave the area better than you found it, along with a lot of other stuff. It is the time together and the lessons learned that is important, not what you call it. Enjoy!
daisysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I just love "being out"

When I'm "home" in the s&b, and going to "work" everyday, I live on zantax and tumms, and my wife and kids call me @@shole.

When I'm out in the bus, I find myself able to relax.
No hearturn.
No problem just sitting and watching the world go by.
Last weekend we went to a state park 32 miles from home. Other than when one son called to say the basement was flooding.... and the nieghbor lady called at 4 am to complain about the loud party. (She has a key, and intsructions to do whatver it takes, including calling the cops, why does she need to wake me up at 4am?)

Camping is great.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
This is much better than sleeping alongside a Tank in all kinds of weather

Well, there is nothing better than a bullet-proof RV.

Thank you for your service.
Ken 1996 Safari Sahara- 3530, 35', CAT 300
Pictures of my coach:
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Since we usually park our motor home in a campground, it must be camping.
Ken 1996 Safari Sahara- 3530, 35', CAT 300
Pictures of my coach:
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
Thanks for the pictures "playitforwrd." My husband and I each grew up camping in tents. We continued the practice into our late 50's and even spent a few stormy nights "camping" in the back of our SUV. Right before we retired, we purchased a 24 ft. class C MH which we love but we are now in the market for a small class A. We like to stay small because we prefer "roughing-it" in State and National parks. We rarely make reservations preferring to be free spirits. Love cooking out of doors, sitting outside with a good book while enjoying the sights, sounds, smells of nature. We love hiking, kayaking and motorcycling. We even took our MH on a ferry from Prince Rupert, CA to Haines, Alaska then drove the entire loop, down to Homer, Seward, Anchorage and Fairbanks, back through the Yukon and British Columbia, boon docking most of the way. Smaller RV's are better but it is all still camping.
regview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #38
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Camping is a state of mind, don't let anyone bring you down. Everyone has a thought on what is "camping"....just enjoy life to the fullest and love the family time together, life is short, enjoy it!!
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey PlayItForwrd by the looks of those pics You guys know how to camp for sure! That's deffinetly CAMPING!
To answer your question Rob, it's overkill but in a good way, actually in an addictive way as you'll find out! We go down to visit my daughter and son-in-law, 3 times now, my son-in-law uses the "that's not camping line", he has a tent and camping gear so I offer to pay for a campsite next to us at the campground, No I'll stay with you guys is the answer we get. Still hang out at the fire till the wee hours, wake up cook on the grill in the morning, take a bike ride, whatever, it's the best of both worlds!
John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When people tell us we're not camping unless we use a tent and sleep on the ground like they do my response is " no, THIS is camping, you're not really camping, you're suffering!" They usually don't have good argument for that.

Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote