Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Mid Atlantic Campers
What's your maximum wind to move your class A??

OK here's the deal. We have an appointment to take the ACE in for some work today and the shop is 35 mile from home. The bad thing is a cold front went through with a sustained wind of 20mph with gusts to 49mph!

Is that too much to go that far or can I take my time with double hands on the wheel?

14 Newmar Ventana LE 3845, eze-tow, bunch-a-tractors
Farmer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
I would suggest if its a tail wind there would be no limit!

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Only time I worry about wind is going over high bridges. Any high bridges on your route? Drive a little slower than usual and you should be fine.
Richard Anderson
2002 Beaver Monterey Seacliff, '13 Jeep Wrangler
Retired, fulltimer
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Only OK if there is no black ice on the roads.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Just made the same type trip yesterday from central Texas. It was brutal, but kept speed between 50 and 60 and had no problem with control. I had my toad attached. The only thing that suffered was gas mileage! Take your time and you will be fine.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Was in Casper, Wy. Going to Cody, Wy last summer with side winds gusting to 60 MPH. I think it was 200 mile trip or so. For sure it was no fun but I slowed down and went on there. We had commitments in Cody an needed to be up there. Would not normally drive in that.

I would say 35MPH wind be ok for your 35 mile. Just slow down a little -- you should be ok.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being retired has many benefits; we leave a day early or late to avoid any headwinds. Side winds over 20-25 we stay put. But tailwinds we get there quick!
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
The only winds that really bother me are the one's after that El Grande Bean Burrito.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Rain nor snow nor high winds will keep us from our appointed reservations!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
If you can't drive in cross winds then you will have to scratch Arizona off your travel list. I think there is a permanent 80mph cross wind in Arizona no matter which way you are driving.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Being retired has many benefits; we leave a day early or late to avoid any headwinds. Side winds over 20-25 we stay put. But tailwinds we get there quick!
I agree. Side winds are the worst and anything over 25 is getting dicey. Remember that oftentimes the wind comes up an hour or two after sunrise. This means you can get going at daybreak and drive your 35 miles before the wind starts kicking up.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
They day I picked up my 30.1 last year there were high wind warnings in the Seattle area. Winds were gusting around 50-70. Not three miles from the dealership, a gust of wind pushed me out of my lane and all the way onto the shoulder. This was the 1st time I had driven a motorhome not counting the test drive. That was a lot of fun. But, I learned that the automatic emergency weather band on the radio works!

I'm kinda glad that happened because now I know what it feels like to drive in heavy wind.

The funny thing is, I had forgot to purchase insurance before I picked it up. My stomach was in knots all night wondering what I would have done if I would have wrecked it day one without any insurance. I learned a lesson that day.

Long story short, 25MPH winds? No problem
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Farmer Steve, the only thing I would be concerned about with the high winds are the tree branches being blown around. A branch that might normally be out of reach of your motor home may come in contact with the high winds. Just food for thought.
Gary and Cheryl Roberts
2016 Entegra Aspire RBQ
08 Beaver Contessa (fire loss)
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Along with high bridges don't forget to look ahead for wind blockers like when you go under an overpass or buildings on the windward side close to your road.

As others have said, take it is slow and look ahead for things that will cause sudden changes on how the wind is hitting you. That includes passing trucks and large vans on the winds side also.

Of course, if the roads are subject to ice and perhaps even heavy rain...you might want to consider alternate plans.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

class a