Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

What's your opinion..

..of a 1996 Winnebago Vectra 34RQ, Cummins/Allison?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

My opinion is it is 18 YEARS OLD. All appliances, seats, roof, seals, etc etc are 18 yrs old. So only you can decide if it is worth it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi riverracerxx,
1. Does the floor plan meets your needs
2. Will the coach carry all the people and stuff you will carry (GVWR minus UVWR)
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow (GCWR-GVWR)
4. Is the hitch/receiver rated for the weight you want to tow
5. Are the maintenance records available
6. Did the visual inspection find any major defects
7. Will you have the coach checked out by an RVIA certified tech
8. Will you have the automotive part of the coach checked out by an ASE certified tech
9. Will you test drive the coach on a variety of roads and speeds

If the results of these items are acceptable to you, buy the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

If you like it, it shouldn't matter what others think! Unless your thing to get into a campground....
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Terrible... An affront to sensible people and I wouldn't be caught dead around one.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If you like it, it shouldn't matter what others think! Unless your thing to get into a campground....
Its not so much I care what others think, Im just a big fan of learn-from-other's-mistakes. So if I start getting responses like: "RUN!", "Definitely no!", "Its a rolling POS!" I'd know to steer clear.

--A little more info on the rig:

Floor plan is just about perfect.

With the Freightliner/Cummins chassis I'll definitely have the towing capacity I need(main reason for upgrading to bigger class A).

The coach only has 24k miles!!

Interior looks to be in very nice condition.

It will be less than $15k

--Issues:

Rear tires will probably need to be replaced in the near future. (Fronts are new)

6.5kw Onan LP genny with 700 hrs not working. Seller says he's 85% sure he knows what's wrong and has already bought the part.

After looking at comps for this same rig, most with a lot more miles, my thinking is that even with those issues, if negotiations go "well" I'd be way ahead of the game already.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Terrible... An affront to sensible people and I wouldn't be caught dead around one.
now thats what Im looking for
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Tough call. 24K miles on an 18 year old diesel isn't necessary a good thing. The motor never even got broken in. Here is my advice. The coach will only cost you $15K. You may feel like you can take some risks. BUT, take it to a cummins dealer and have them check the engine out. If the engine/tranny has issues you will spend another $15K QUICKLY. The initial investment is not your concern on this coach. Tires that are old need to be replaced. Very likely service for put near everything needs to be done.

Make sure the real expensive parts are ok (Engine/Tranny/Genset) and then go from there.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

Good point about the low miles being a good or bad thing. Problem about getting it checked out is I couldn't find a Cummins service center anywhere remotely close.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

If the oil and trans sample analysis give a good report. If the mechanical and physical inspection is solid. based upon your comment that the interior you like, and the power is what you feel you need Then I'd go the next step to determine, via documented receipts:
- Hoses and belts age, replace if over 10 years old
- Air Cartridge, replace if over four years old
- Tans Fluid, if not upgraded to Transyn, I'd check on the Allison forum and ask if it is advisable for this year to change to Transyn
- Battery age - factor in price, if aging
- Tires you mentioned, if over 7 years, replace day one if possible
- Rear end, plan on changing, unless documentation shows it's done on schedule
- Rubber bushings can rot out, same with air bags, so having them inspected and knowing what shape their in, is one other area.

I'm personally not a fan of LP Generators, but that's again a personal thing. Just because it's able to be started (with say the new part in it), does not mean it will produce power. Generators like to be run, to temp and under loads, to get the moisture out of the coils.

Age does not bother me, as long as it has been maintained well. Low miles and dried seals, and possible internal corrosion of parts, would be my real concern. I'd rather have a clean looking coach with 75K then a the same coach with 24K - IF WELL MAINTAINED.

At that age, and that price, you could have a gem in the rough. Or, a money pit waiting to consume vast amounts of funds... And at that age, if you can't get it out on the road for close to that total $15K, including all of the work that may be needed - then I'd keep looking. (But, I do not honestly know the costs of that rig at that age, just instinct that $15K sounds about right for a rig that old that needs very little to no catch-up maintenance. If it is a $20K rig, and you put $5K into it, then great.)

Lots of good older rigs available.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 03-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #11

Smitty, I appreciate the time and thought you put into your reply.
You mentioned about the rear end, that I should plan on replacing unless documentation shows its been done. Is this a common issue with DPs? Im curious because the diesel tech that I've lined up to inspect the RV prior to purchase also mentioned that. He said he had a newer 40' 400hp Cummins pusher in his shop right now with a bad diff. Said it was a $7000 part!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverracerxx View Post
Smitty, I appreciate the time and thought you put into your reply.
You mentioned about the rear end, that I should plan on replacing unless documentation shows its been done. Is this a common issue with DPs? Im curious because the diesel tech that I've lined up to inspect the RV prior to purchase also mentioned that. He said he had a newer 40' 400hp Cummins pusher in his shop right now with a bad diff. Said it was a $7000 part!

I think he meant change the differential oil, not the complete rear end.

And if that mechanic said a diff was a $7000 part, run from him. If he can't do a diff for less than $3000, including install, he is screwing someone.