Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #43
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am impressed with how many people are responding with average speeds in the 62 mph area. That's where I like to drive too although I will admit to getting pushed to 65 mph sometimes. I hope the ones that are consistently driving 0ver 70 mph are on some other highway that I am on. They are being reckless and have no real idea how far it will take them to slow down in case of an emergency.

Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #44
Try to maintain the speed limit, unless on a hwy that's over 65, then try to stay at 65 to 68. At 73 my V-10 starts to do weird things. It almost feels like it has a governor and starts to vibrate and cut out.

John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #45
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
55 to 60 max... The speed rating on ANY RV tire is no higher then 75 and people wonder why they have blow-outs
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #46
62 MPH. Too big to safely drive over 65MPH.
Tim & Paula - Leesburg, GA Papermaker
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36FTBS
2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax with Air Ride Hitch
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #47
I feel 55 to 60 is about right. I'm in no hurry and if I was I would leave earlier. The whole point is to relax and not stress about the journey.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
So today I paid more attention. I might "like" to drive 75... but am most comfortable at 65.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
Newmar Owners Club
65 mph or below works for me.
Just the Wife & Me and the Two Dogs!!
2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344 !!
450HP Cummins on a Freightliner Chassis !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I left the trans in economy the entire trip and found that I was able to hold 6th gear on all of the grades in both directions (L.A. to Grand Canyon and back) except two where it downshifted to 5th. After it downshifted and I crested the grade, it didn't want to jump back into 6th at 57 mph. I had to accelerate to about 60 to get it to shift and then backed off the throttle.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #51
I set cruise at 65 by the speedo but the GPS says I am going 62 or 63 but that's where I get the best MPGs... So far I am averaging 10.1

I do let it run away on short down hill runs, I will let it hit 75 before I start braking... On long hills I keep speeds under control with exhaust brake and service brakes.
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 38PBD
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain
JManatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #52
Cruising east on I-70 in eastern Utah on my Harley at about 65 mph I recently had a couple of rigs pass me that were going in excess of 75mph. Pretty scary... lot's of wind, rough roads... and not to mention those rigs were big and way over 25,ooo lbs ..maybe over 30,000.... and I'll bet those tires, like most big rig tires, were rated at only 75mph and most likely the tires had a few years on them and showing their age perchance could fail at any time.

Traveled all over this country and seen way to many folks pulling trailers to fast.... way to fast.

It's a shame so many folks drive these big rigs like their daily driver... way to fast. Why is everyone in such a big hurry??? I have to laugh at how many folks (in big rigs, cars, trucks, RV's, 5th wheels, etc) have to pass me on my Harley.... and yet I get to the next town and meet them at the next stop light or stop sign.

I've noticed that many of the big long haul trucks have slowed to about 60mph but the locals (oil haulers, ore haulers and esp. horse trailers) still drive pretty fast.

My rig does very nice at 58 or 59 mph.
Roadking - Homeless, full time, wandering gypsies
Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Harley and Honda Civic
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #53
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
some interesting numbers.
On the US highways and interstates I drive on, going anything less than 70 is just asking to become a hood ornament on a peterbilt.
Even on the 2 lanes, grandmothers in minivans are passing me around corners at those speeds.

70 to 75 for me, in the right hand lane on a 4 lane in the country, the center on a six lane in the city keeps me out of the entrance / exit drama.

My knight gives me better mileage at the higher speed too.
All the way up to 7 running at 75, from 6.0 at 60.

Wow..... Lault and JimM88 seem to be in the same 70mph++++ club here. Both driving 30,000 lb rigs. Probably the same guys that run up my but in a hurry to go nowhere.... putting everyone in danger. At 70+++ mph hit those brakes as hard as you can and see how long it takes you to stop those big rigs. 10MPH less could just save a life... maybe even yours. Nuf said.
Roadking - Homeless, full time, wandering gypsies
Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Harley and Honda Civic
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #54
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive 60 pulling the toad or not. I see that most of the replies on here are 62 or less but that sure isn't what is happening on the interstates. I get blown around all day from early morning to the afternoon by it seems like every motorhome and 5th wheel rollling down the road.
2007 Allegro 34WA
Unified Tow Brake, Ultra Trac Rear Track Bar,PI/EMS-HW50C
2006 Saturn Vue
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #55
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the UK, all trucks have a speed limiter set at 56mph. It is supposed, according to the experts, to be the most fuel efficient speed. So I stay about a couple of mph above that, just to get away from those guys.
SuperMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #56
55 to 60 here. I work on the Interstates and honestly, most of the RV's that go by are really moving. I personally don't care. I dive mine like I want to. I've thought about getting a bumper sticker that says: Smile! you're on Candid Camera on the back of the rig to help with tail gaters.

CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote