Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #71

The whole trick to best MPG and the best speed is aerodynamics. With cruise control and an automatic transmission when we are on the open road the biggest factor that governs our miles per gallon is the speed in which the MH goes through the air or what is called True Airspeed. So a 10 mile per hour headwind in a MH doing 65 is the same as that motor doing 75 aerodynamically. If if you have a tailwind (I never do, lol) then you can speed up and if you have a headwind then you should slow down so the aerodynamic drag of that box you are driving is reduced. You might all be interested in reading these two articles. The one from Cummins pertains more to 18 wheelers than the one from CAT that is directed at motorhomes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT MPG Help.pdf (175.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf Cummins MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf (375.9 KB, 44 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
I feel 60 is about right for me on the Freeway. Sometimes I get up to 65 for a brief period. My new rig is a lot quieter on the road than my past A, which makes it easier on everyone. (less shouting) I have no idea if it makes much MPH difference.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #73

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess my speed limit is 65mph, since I drove at that speed briefly for 86 miles last week with my Winegard Trav'ler antenna fully extended with no damage-.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I usually keep it at about 68 or so. We got our Journey from my father in law who had if for several years. He said he always drove it about 75 in the interstates because he didn't want to get boxed in by slower traffic. On our first trip in it, we had a blowout, luckily on the rear. Since then, I've slowed down a bit. With fuel prices the way they are, I might slow it down a little more, but I don't know if I can get as slow as 62. I guess we'll see.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #75

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GA Cajun,

Just curious- was it your right rear inner on the blowout?

I've had three "zipper" blowouts on that position with Michelins.

I now put the max psi (cold) stated on the sidewall of the tire into all four rear axle tires and haven't any more problems. It's been two years now.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
65 is a safe speed for most big rigs.....Ret. Lt. J. Acerra
jponyboyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly2 View Post
I usually keep at 62-65 on the interstate, I get 7-8 mpg out of the 460 gasser with a 36' rig towing a sidekick tin top. Mountainous roads put it down to about 45 though, very heavy rig for that small of motor.
I've got the same thing but a 454 -35' pulling a 14' motorcycle trailer with a Harley Roadking on back. This week on our monthly trip I drove 62 all the way and averaged only 6.4 mpg... I did follow a few tractor trailers who were also going 62. Seems like they too need to conserve fuel. I watched a 5th wheel almost lose it twice on I-75. You would think he would have learned the first time he can't do 80 and still control it. He pulled it into a rest area after the first time I guess to check it out and came back doing around 80 again..

I used to drive tractor trailer and I know how long it takes to get one stopped. I think everyone should do a panic stop one time on an empty stretch and see just how long it takes you to stop. I'll bet after that their speed will be 55 - 63...

If you crest a hill doing 75 -80 and traffic is stopped dead (like in Orlando constantly) you are in big trouble..
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote