Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Wheel Alighment for 06 Monaco Camelot

Good day everyone- I have a camber issue on my 06 Camelot,, wearing tires on inside on drivers side and outside on entry side. Tires are 7 yrs od and have approx 35k miles on. Unable to balance so am replacing the Bridgestone with Michelin now, however , took coach into only people in Sasktoon that does this work, did toe in adjustment but stated they could not do camber or caster (WHAT!!). Does anyone know who does these alignments in western Canada or possibly the west side of USA. Hate to be replacing tires every 30K miles at 1000 per tire. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Camber adjustment for a solid axle requires physically bending it. Many heavy truck shops have that specialized equipment, so look around. And caster may not be adjustable at all on a heavy duty axle.

But the wear you describe doesn't sound like camber either. Typically a bent axle wears either both outsides or both insides. Yours might be bent in a couple places producing that odd wear, but that is unusual.

Your tires are approaching the age where replacement is going to be necessary anyway (regardless of mileage). 10 years is the max life, and the risk of a blowout increases dramatically by age 7-8. Michelin explicitly states that in their RV guide.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought our coach in 2008 the front tires had a terrible wear pattern. I decided to replace with Bridgestone and then took it for a wheel alignment and wheel balance. The were able to align by bending the axle. I still have the tires on the rig, and they are wearing even with +50K miles on them. I haven't changed yet as we are not planning any trips in the near future.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Rolly Zimmer"......Just to clarify, did your Camelot have Bridgestone tires that were wearing funny? Most Monaco's came with Goodyear.

Either way, the Roadmaster chassis has a unique front and rear suspension. It's built like a big "H". Some people experience an issue called "rivering", especially on Monaco motor homes with Goodyear G670 tires. The tires will do exactly what you're experiencing. If you have Bridgestone doing this, it may be more of an effect of the suspension on those tires, than a cast/camber issue.

Here is a photo of a Goodyear that had "rivering" issues on a Monaco. The wear shown is the outer edge of the tire. I changed to Hankook AH12's on the front of my Diplomat and solved the issue. I don't think they make an AH12 in your size. They're expensive, but you might look at Michellins, at least for the front.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Thanks Dutchstar Don: Yes the tire does look like the one shown, one also has some cupping. I bought the coach 5 yrs ago and it had the Bridgestones put one at 33k miles , it did have Good Year originally, I have replaced the rear last year with new Good Year and will do the front this time with Michelin, the shop I had it thought the Michelin were more forgiving tire for the situation I have. Saskatchewan does not appear to be into the type of Alignment required here. I will check for others in western US and Canada possibly or see how thes Michelin perform with rotation every year for even wear. Thanks again
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Rolly;
As a new owner of a 2008 HR Scepter I did notice an item about camber in the owners manual. Your local shop told you the truth about not being able to adjust it.

"Camber: Camber, as shown, is vertical tilt of wheel as viewed from the front of the motorhome. This is machined into the axle when manufactured and is not adjustable."

So if there are shops that do adjust this, make sure they know what they are doing and confirm that the original camber has been changed - either through damage or some other issue that "bent" the front axle.

The dealership where I bought from put new Goodyear RV tires on, not what I would have done based on reviews here. I also probably do need an alignment as on the trip home I had to hold the wheel to the left to go straight.

Good luck;

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #7

There is of course a natural pull to the right due to road plane for draining. My does pull to the right also but not extreme . The shop I was just at did adjust toe in and I notice my street ing wheel is somewhat off centre. Only driven in city for now, so will monitor the situation. Will have to make a couple of trips and monitor the performance of the Michelins and make a conscience decision moving forward.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Monaco Roadmaster is indeed a unique chassis design, but the axles are standard solid axles, tied to that floating "H" frame. The axle is the cross bar in the H. Solid axles do not have adjustable camber, so the only "adjustment" is to bend the axle up/down in the center to alter the wheel tilt. Medium & heavy duty truck alignment shops usually have this equipment. It's not rocket science, but it does require a hefty hydrulic press and special equipment.

Cupping indicates the wheel is hopping as you drive, which can have a variety of causes. Bad shocks, excessive toe, and wheel balance are the most common ones.

River wear (aka erosion) won't wear out a tire before it dies of age or high mileage and no tire manufacturer or fleet user recommends doing anything about it. Most of the wear in that photo in the prior post is not river wear at all. These photos from Michelin illustrate the major types of wear on steer tires.
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...ects_Steer.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #9

Thanks Gary RV Roamer that link was very helpful and also tells me that I am on the right track and certainly provides knowledge to all of us who do not deal with this on a day to day basis. All the best!!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I'll disagree with "Gary RvRoamer", I'm guessing he has never personally dealt with "rivering" issues. First off, that is a photo of "rivering". I do all my own work and maintain my coach better than 98% of the RVing public. My first set of Goodyears, lasted 20K miles. They were properly maintained, aligned and correct air pressure. They started "riviering" and then developed a tread separation. I thought it was just a bad tire. I replaced both fronts with the same Goodyear G670's, had the alignment checked, (no alignment needed) and had the same issue and same wear again, at 20k miles.

It was now time to replace all six, since the rears were at 40K and reaching the six year mark, I replaced all six tires. It should be noted that the rears, not used in a steering position wore well, no cupping, no odd wear. By the way, I ran Centramatics on both axles and had installed Koni FSD's all the way around, a year after I bought the coach new (not a cheap proposition since a two axle Monaco uses 8 shocks).

When I replaced the front tires for the second time at 40K, I was fed up with Goodyear and installed Hankook AH12's. For the next 33K miles, ALL the tires wore perfectly. No unusual wear. Nothing was changed, but the tires.

For those that don't know much about "rivering" the tires will have a cupping and odd wear. The cupping is caused by tread separation/movement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco