Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting about Schwab. I intend to order some Centramatics in the very near future and was going to call/visit them to see what the charge was to remove/install the wheel to put them on. Haven't been real happy with them the last couple of times and I just voted with my wallet putting new tires on wife's car. Ford dealer beat price with better tire IMO.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #30

I will never go to Les Schwab for tires again. it took them over 5 hrs to install my new tires. had them install balancing beads and they left old tire weights on rims I wanted new valve stems they ordered wrong size way to long so they took parts off new stems and put them on old stems and charged me for new stems. I talked to the manager and he wouldn't do anything. I wrote a letter to corporate headquarters and got no response. Every time I get a chance I let others know how they treat customers.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing your terrible customer service story.

I've never needed to use Les Schwab but now they are permanently off of my list of possible tire places.

I like using Costco or Sam's Club for car tires and TCI for coach tires.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
I put a new set of Michellins on my coach last year. After considerable research, I added the beads, in the RV size to avoid problems with my TPMS.

The bottom line, I couldn't stop the shake at 65. I finally dismounted the tires, removed the beads, and added Centramatics. I just returned from a 12,000 mile shakedown run with the Centramatics and all was smooth. I'll never do beads again.

Charlie
CHS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
As for Les Shwab, I was in a rental car last year going from Tahoe in the snow over the pass to Sacramento. When I woke in the morning, I had a nearly flat tire due to a piece of tire chain in the tread.

I changed the tire and took it to Les Schwab, who I'd never heard of since I'm an east coaster. They fixed it in about 45 minutes and refused to charge me for the repair. I tried to tip the mechanic $20 and he wouldn't take it.

I've got nothing bad to say about them!

Charlie
CHS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS32 View Post
As for Les Shwab, I was in a rental car last year going from Tahoe in the snow over the pass to Sacramento. When I woke in the morning, I had a nearly flat tire due to a piece of tire chain in the tread.

I changed the tire and took it to Les Schwab, who I'd never heard of since I'm an east coaster. They fixed it in about 45 minutes and refused to charge me for the repair. I tried to tip the mechanic $20 and he wouldn't take it.

I've got nothing bad to say about them!

Charlie

Ditto, only good experinces, been dealing with them for years.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Ditto, only good experinces, been dealing with them for years.
X2 I've had them install tires on 3 rv's two motor homes and one 5th wheel. I always got good service and lots of tire repairs for free. I have no complaints with them.
Mel_B
Old 08-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
If you go with plastic chips (beads) use the air valves that are made to be used with beads. They have tiny screens to keep beads from causing a valve to un-seat and slow air loss. Had beads in all tires. Performed air pressure check nite before departing on trip. Next morning DS frt tire totally flat. Pulled air valve out and beads came out with it. just sayn
TyreBeads Tire Balancing Beads - Filtered Valve Core

https://www.amazon.com/TyreBeads-Tir.../dp/B00LTCL0H0

I have heard if you let a tire go flat it does something to side walls and ruins the tire.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I have heard if you let a tire go flat it does something to side walls and ruins the tire.
Tha_Rooster
Sitting on a flat tire may not hurt the tire but driving on a flat tire, even a short distane, can destroy the tire.
If you have a flat I recommend you have a tire shop inspect the tire both inside and outside.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes I agree for the most part on Les Schwab... I have bought many tires and spent thousands of $$$$$ there over the years. The only issue I have ever had with them is over them refusing to install the Centramatics when I bought new tires from them. That's why I won't replace the motorhome tires there when it comes time to do so.... Makes no sense to have to go somewhere else and pay extra to have them installed when Les Schwab should have done it as part of the mounting process.

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #39

Les Schwab has a policy of not installIing
any product they do not sell. Can be a PITA in some cases, especially with a TPMS.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Coach was parked on soft sandy spot in daughters yard and it was only totally flat for a few hours at that. But, yes I agree that side wall and bead damage is possible if on hard surface and left for days. I was planning on having to remove wheel and reset the bead on rim to get it to take air. Soon as I found the flat I put the jacks down. Hour later got a high pressure compressor and tried to air up, bead popped with no effort from anyone. Sometimes things ain't as bad as they could be!
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #41

I had a Centramatic go bad on me. It must have lost oil in the tube or something, since the little balls stopped moving and seem to have frozen up. Since this happened after their warranty ran out, I took them off.

I then installed Dyna Beads in the tires, and all is well. Perfect balance. I even transferred them to new tires when I switched tires last year. Dyna Beads are a lot cheaper to use.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote