Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I don't think we should put down someone ( by calling them mean or cheap) for not having the equipment to balance big tires. They may not have enough call for that to justify the expense but they should recommend someone that does.
X2 on "they should recommend someone that does".

If a shop that has no balancing equipment to balance the size tires they want you to buy from them tells you: " NOBODY spin balances anymore, "SPIN BALANCING is NO GOOD", they are LYING to you............(it happened to me).
IMO they are not only liars, they are CHEAP LIARS)!

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
I use powder/beads, one caveat make sure the schrader valves have a little filter on em otherwise may develop a leak when valves do not seal properly.

is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Sometimes I don't understand what people do. We bought our 2006 Tiffin Phaeton last April from the original owner. It vibrated so bad above 55 MPH I was sure something would come apart. Tire wear is minimal and even. Front wheel balance at $30 each solved the problem entirely. I did have to go to a shop that does trucks. So why did the original owner put up with this for 6 years and 35,000 miles? Who knows.

I went to Les Schwab because they are closeby and routinely do truck tires. They aren't especially cheap, but my experience with them is that they do the job right. That's worth something to me.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go somewhere else. Find a truck/RV tire place that will balance them. As small as Waco is, 140,000, we have several that can do it.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
I service and install alignment and wheel service equipment. As expensive as these tires are, they need to be balanced and aligned. 22.5" requires an HD balancer. 19.5" can be done on any of our standard balancers.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4072
Success is having what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you have.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Years ago, when I had a Toyoto motorhome, I had the tires balanced at a truck repair garage. They had a machine that spun the tires while mounted on the vehicle with the vehicle's wheels off the ground on a jack. The rears can be done as long as you don't have a limited slip differential.
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
When I bought my new tires in a tire shop, while they were to put the first tire on, I asked if he balanced, he said no because the weights on big tires look ugly. I told him I don't care about the looking but I want it to be balanced. He then balanced all.
Insist the balance or go elsewhere.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't particularly like the ugly look of stick on weights on my nice shinny rims, but I will sacrifice a little of the looks for the tires being balanced properly.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
When I bought both sets of 9R22.5 tires I had all 6 spin balanced......PLUS I have Centramatic balancers on all 4 corners....
In theory the Centramatis compensate for any future out of balance conditions caused by tire wear.
Overkill?.... perhaps, but that combination has worked for me for 100k + miles.

1.) Combining beads and Centramatis doesn't work.
2.) Show me a shop that says spin balancing MH tires is no good, and I'll show you a shop that is to cheap to by a big balancer!
'96 Safari
X2. All six of mine were balanced by ford I guess as it had weights on all six tires when it come in from Newmar. I though is had a little shake in the 65 to 75 mph range. I put Centramatics on all four corners and now it is smooth up to 80 mph pluss which is as fast has I have run it. I have tried beads in semi trucks many times over the years and they are a waste of money.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Master of Disaster

Dynamic balancing is best in my book. The wheel and tyre rotate on the entire suspension, so why would you want to spin balance it by itself?

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
The wheel and tyre rotate on the entire suspension, so why would you want to spin balance it by itself?

Please explain that!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe what Steve is refering to are imporfections in hub, drums or rotors, and lug nuts, any rotating mass in addition to wheel and tire.
Doug and Lisa, FMCA 436113
2006 Fleetwood Providence 39L
350 HP Cat, Spartan, 24' ATC enclosed
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mine too that when I bought a set of new Goodyear G670's One was out of round from the factory and could not have enought weights installed to get got it to balance. The tire had to be replaced. The dealer that did the original install did not balance, installed powder. Had to have the tire replaced down the road at another dealer as we couldn't stand the ride any more.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way, This is how a balanced tire rides O

This is a tire that is not balanced Q

See the difference. One has a big bump on it.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote