Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Dynamic balancing is best in my book. The wheel and tyre rotate on the entire suspension, so why would you want to spin balance it by itself?

Steve
The suspension doesn't rotate - it just reacts to out of balance of the wheel and hub/rotor/brake drum assembly.
Spin balancing is dynamic balancing and compares to the old method of static balancing was just balanced in the horizontal plane by sitting weights on the rim until the bubble was centred.

It is a matter of which is likely to be out of balance and why and which is likely to have more effect.

The moment of inertia of the rim and wheel is much much higher than that of the hub, rotor and bearings - because it has much higher mass and it is rotating much further out from the centre of the axle - and the hub, rotor and bearings are also machined steel so are not likely to be out of balance anyway - so in terms of what has the most effect on balance, the tyre+rim wins hands-down. Get the tyre and rim balanced and the rest doesn't really matter much. If it did matter, there must be something grossly wrong with the hub and rotor assembly that should be fixed rather than compensated for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #30

Balance and beads...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonedsole View Post
I believe what Steve is refering to are imporfections in hub, drums or rotors, and lug nuts, any rotating mass in addition to wheel and tire.
Thanks
In theory Centramatics, and other centrifugal methods, (including Dyna Beads), perpetually/continually compensate for/correct those imbalances.
As I said, I use both Spin Balance and Centramatics, and I have not been disappointed with either the ride or tire wear.... I have not used beads.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonedsole View Post
I believe what Steve is refering to are imporfections in hub, drums or rotors, and lug nuts, any rotating mass in addition to wheel and tire.
Exactly... the wheel is not the only thing spinning as you go down the road... and minor balance imperfections in brake shoes can be quite a bit of difference. Now, I know big rigs and stuff often don't balance tires, but they don't have a nice house riding on them ... and admittedly, I am picky. I tend to notice and fret about fairly small vibrations other people probably don't even notice...

Steve
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin

Exactly... the wheel is not the only thing spinning as you go down the road... and minor balance imperfections in brake shoes can be quite a bit of difference. Now, I know big rigs and stuff often don't balance tires, but they don't have a nice house riding on them ... and admittedly, I am picky. I tend to notice and fret about fairly small vibrations other people probably don't even notice...

Steve
Hi Steve, I do not believe the brake shoes are part f the rotating mass as they are attached firmly to the backing plates. Brake drums that are part of the rotating mass used on the bulk of modern Class A, B, or C's are balanced in the manufacturing process. My experience has been minor vibrations are typically from the tire. Like you, I always fret when changes in road surfaces cause different noise and vibrations, and then of course the different rattles......

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #34

Mike -- you are right, of course, the shoes stay in place and the drum rotates...still, dynamic balancing always made sense to me...

Steve
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another source for balancing large diamature tires are local custom wheel shops. Most are equipped to balance up to 30" wheels and tires. Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Centramatics on all four corners I have put them on all my motorhomes. I have never cupped a tire and smooth as silk. I would never put anything inside my tires to roll around and possibly damage the tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #37

An absolutely huge YES to tire balancing. I switched to the bead balancing because it's a ONE time application that continually adjusts to the constant changes in each tire as you drive it thus negating any weight balancing system. The first trip you take, the weights aren't doing the perfect job they were when first installed... the beads balance method is like balancing each tire new everytime you drive your coach! Think about it, as tires wear, the balance dynamics change, nuff said. I'm running Samson 19.5's and they ride and are as smooth as can be... not bad for $230 installed & balanced per tire!!