Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wheel Simulator Removal question

i have read the posts on how to remove the wheel simulators. You either have 2 push on nut covers or 2 screw on nut covers. I have identified the 2 covers. I can wiggle them just a tiny bit, which makes them seem like push on. Before I buy a tool and start cranking on them, is there any way to tell which type you have? My MH did come with one of those T handle tools, that is so mangled it wouldn't work anyway. I'm attaching a photo of the covers. If anyone knows the difference, feel free to educate me and any others reading this post.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_100101_resized.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	60501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_100136_resized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	60502  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
If you can't identify which you have they still can be just pulled off ( don't ask how I know). The screw on ones are screwed to a plastic thread that is pushed over the nut and so pulling that style off is pulling the plastic part off the nut while leaving it screwed to the cover. Not the way to do it but it works
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine are screw on and take an 1 1/8" socket. Sometimes they are on so tight you would swear an idiot put them on with a rattle gun.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine look like 1 1/2". I don't have socket big enough to fit them. The tool you can buy from camping world looks cheap. Better to invest in a socket. Plus, the cover seems so thin, it seems like you would destroy it with any force.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Mine are screw on and take an 1 1/8" socket. Sometimes they are on so tight you would swear an idiot put them on with a rattle gun.
In many cases they did use the rattle gun. I used to just ease them loose with a pair of channels locks and tighten them on the same way without a scratch. Not so sure with the last tire install, I had done on the drive axle, though.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
In your first picture, it looks as there is an indent close to the base of the cap. If it will move, my best guess is it is the pull off style. Hope that helps.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
In your first picture, it looks as there is an indent close to the base of the cap. If it will move, my best guess is it is the pull off style. Hope that helps.
My two on each wheel have an indentation and screw off. I did have an old Pace Arrow once that pulled off, but don't remember if they had indents to identify them. My guess would be no as this helps to crimp them on the nut.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If your MH came with a 'T' handle, more than likely the simulator lugs are the screw on type. On the front wheels, you should be able to use an adjustable(crescent) wrench to test. If confirmed screw on type, don't waste you money on those wimpy tools at CW...I have one and I find it worthless. I'm going to start looking for a good T handle myself, so I can remove and clean the rear simulators.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pull off covers generally have a round dimple on one side of the cover. The screw off type usually has one or two crimp marks near the bottom of the nut cover.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those look like Dicor versa liner wheel simulators-I have those on my 2003 workhorse chassis. These do not pull off - you need a socket( do not remember size right now - will post when I get home). After I messed mine up while trying to remove I purchased replacements from Amazon. Here is what I ordered Dicor V160F7EJN Enclosed Jam Nut - perfect fit and match
Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can take a flat screwdriver or a common teaspoon and get it under the "Edge" of that chrome cover and gently pry it off,, Take 2, one for each side, First work one under and pry up a bit, one side then the other then both and pop it off if it's the push on type.

OR, you can take a pair of pliares of the kind that made Channel Lock famous and a heavy cloth or leather and protecthing the chrome with the cloth (I'm thinking like 4 layers of adhesive tape might work) pull it off Then remove the tape and use some Goof-Off to clean it up.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same one's, THEY DO NUT PULL OFF,You need a socket that fits and
a rachet for the two with the "-" dimpels. They can be tight.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies. I do think based on trying to pry them off with no success, and Loulong's reply that describes the crimp marks near the bottom, that they are the screw on type. onlakegaston, if you could verify the size, that would be great. With a tape measure (not that accurate) it looks like 1 1/2".

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kliwks - sorry I meant to post this last night - size is 38 mm. Hope this helps!

Tags
removal