Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Wheelchair accessible

Hi, Do you have a Dutch Star 4311 that we can borrow for two weeks to pick up my parents in Alabama and bring them to Texas for a week and then back home?

Best regards, Nancy and Phil
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There's a lot of questions in your request. Why is it headed, "wheelchair accessible"? Most RV Class A are NOT wheelchair accessible. Why not rent a handicap equipped van? Do you want the RV for the drive from Alabama to Texas or to live in? Do you have insurance set up to cover any damage to someone who loans you an RV?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Bob, I'm guessing the OP is asking specifically about a Newmar Dutch Star 4311 because it is factory equipped with a wheelchair lift.

Wheelchair Accessible - Newmar

However, I agree that the OP will not only have a difficult time finding somebody who will "loan" them a Dutch Star 4311 but I remember somebody else some years back on one of these forums asking about renting an accessible RV and finding the results bleak.

I recall somewhere that rented accessible RVs but not sure they are still in business or not.

I'll do some searching around and if I come up with anything, I'll report back.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

You're kidding, right?

I would be shocked if you found what you are seeking. It's not like calling up Hertz and reserving a chevy.

First, numerous places rent motorhomes. Second, I doubt that you will find a rental that is wheelchair accessible. This is a very rare feature on a motorhome. We have one but I would not loan it or rent it to anyone. Too much liability and these rigs take some getting used to as far as knowing how to drive and manuever them.

Good luck on your quest. You might lower your expectations a bit however. The idea about a van might be more realistic to find as a rental.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hope you can find what you are looking for.

But as a side note, I would not lend my MH to anyone, including family. I Have learned too many lessons the hard way and have no wish to do it again.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #6

My suggestion is to do an internet search for specific model(s) that are equipped. If there is a used on for sale somewhere, perhaps the dealer could be persuaded to rent it to you. Otherwise, renting a handicap-equipped van is likely your only option.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Bob, I'm guessing the OP is asking specifically about a Newmar Dutch Star 4311 because it is factory equipped with a wheelchair lift.

Wheelchair Accessible - Newmar

However, I agree that the OP will not only have a difficult time finding somebody who will "loan" them a Dutch Star 4311 but I remember somebody else some years back on one of these forums asking about renting an accessible RV and finding the results bleak.

I recall somewhere that rented accessible RVs but not sure they are still in business or not.

I'll do some searching around and if I come up with anything, I'll report back.

Well, the only one I've found so far is a Class C in the San Antonio area that can be rented for $1,260 a week.

RV Motorhome Travel Trailer Rentals Sales in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Florida and the USA

BTW, Newmar also makes a gas model Class A that is accessible with its own lift. It is a Canyon Star 3911.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #8

Thank you for the link to the wheelchair accessible coach in San Antonio. I really didn't expect anyone to loan me their RV. My original post was out of frustration at finding one. I tried to delete the post but couldn't figure out how to do it. I was not flippant about using someone else's motorhome, just frustrated.

I just wanted a way to get my parents from Fairhope, AL to Bastrop, TX for a weeklong visit at the house. They can't fly or drive.

Thanks for all your help.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peterson,

I understand your frustration. Maybe you could post a thread that said something along the order of ride wanted. Possibly look online for any ride sharing sites. Advertise that you are looking for someone that is going near the areas you are talking about. Offer to pay the expenses of someone that would give your parents a ride.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #10

We have one, but we use it a lot and there is no way we would lend it to anyone. Would need at least a $50,000 deposit plus insurance costs and several thousand a week for rental if we did. That is based on a boat we once had in charter. Sorry to be so negative.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

I too certainly understand your frustration, Nancy and Phil. You'd think there would be more emphasis on accessible RVs especially in light of all the ADA requirements nowadays. I guess that's why Newmar is making models available. Kudos to them. They even may be taking a loss on their accessible models, who knows, but understand the importance of making coaches available to the disabled.

Report back if you can to let us know if you find anything and what you eventually do to accommodate your parents. It would be more comfortable for them to travel with you in a motorhome and I have to believe that they'd enjoy it immensely.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Newmar is not making a loss on these handicap units. They are the most expensive models in the 43' Ventana and Dutch Star ranges. They still need work meeting ADA recommendations but it is a start.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheelchair