Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Wheels on my DP: hub or stud pilot?

Thanks to a car that wouldn't move until I did, I ended up driving over a 6" or so tall cement divider/curb going into a grocery store parking lot. Murphy's law works, so rather than just driving OVER the curb, I ended up with the tire barely on the curb, nearly parallel to the long edge -- and then slid off. The ensuing drop just about totally emptied all the cupboards. But nnnoooo, that wasn't enough to suit Murphy... As the tire slid off the curb, the right inside rim caught it, and bent the rim bead up about 2", flattening the tire instantly. I haven't had a chance to look close, but what I could see, the tire looks to be okay. If not, I'll get another, it is what it is...

I can get a used inner steel rim pretty cheap via some friends, but I need to know what might be on my rig- 2000 Allegro Bus/Freightliner chassis- stud-pilot wheels, or hub-pilot wheels? (22.5")

for those who have no idea what I'm talking about (I barely do!), this webpage explains nicely:
Hub Pilot vs. Stud Pilot Buy Truck Wheels

My free time vs the motorhome being 40 miles away at the moment, it would really help if I knew what type of wheels to ask for!

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Thanks to a car that wouldn't move until I did, I ended up driving over a 6" or so tall cement divider/curb going into a grocery store parking lot. Murphy's law works, so rather than just driving OVER the curb, I ended up with the tire barely on the curb, nearly parallel to the long edge -- and then slid off. The ensuing drop just about totally emptied all the cupboards. But nnnoooo, that wasn't enough to suit Murphy... As the tire slid off the curb, the right inside rim caught it, and bent the rim bead up about 2", flattening the tire instantly. I haven't had a chance to look close, but what I could see, the tire looks to be okay. If not, I'll get another, it is what it is...

I can get a used inner steel rim pretty cheap via some friends, but I need to know what might be on my rig- 2000 Allegro Bus/Freightliner chassis- stud-pilot wheels, or hub-pilot wheels? (22.5")

for those who have no idea what I'm talking about (I barely do!), this webpage explains nicely:
Hub Pilot vs. Stud Pilot Buy Truck Wheels

My free time vs the motorhome being 40 miles away at the moment, it would really help if I knew what type of wheels to ask for!

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated!

Ask Freightliner what you have. I'm guessing hub pilot.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Almost for certain a hub centric wheel. I think generally you only find stud centric wheels on smaller vehicles. Your center hole in the wheel needs to be the exact proper size.

Charles
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every DP we've had (since 2000) has had hub piloted wheels.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you pop the center hub cap? I can on mine. Hubcentric.
Grandpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I was kind of assuming hub piloted--

Many thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
-- and as it turns out, a good friend is getting a shop he deals with to change out everything for me for a good price, I just have to limp the motorhome to the shop on 5 wheels (about 3 miles), so I won't be 'buying blind' after all!

Thanks again all!