Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Wheels Up

Arrived at our spot for our motorhome this afternoon and found the ground not so level. Our front wheels are off the ground by about an inch. I just wonder if there are any issues concerning the suspension, levelers or whatever with the coach sitting for any period of time with the wheels in the air? Thanks for any suggestions. I may get some blocks to put under the wheels but that won't happen for a few days. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

While it's not fatal I would not encourage it. Consider either purchasing some blocks or if you have a larger class A DP, make some yourself using a stall mat. They can be purchased for about $30 at a farm supply store. Cut them into 2'x1' rectangles. They can be stacked into multiple configurations including using one of them as a ramp to drive onto the others. They will not crush or break and last forever. In addition, if your steps end up too high from the ground they can be placed at the bottom to add a step.
flaresadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our previous rig, an '02 Dutch Star, I stored it beside the house with the front wheels off the ground by 6" or so for 6 months at a time over a period of 13 years with no trouble.
BUT: I also asked the various tech people
Newmar said no problem.
Spartan said no problem.
Reyco-Granning said no problem
Koni said no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Our Foretravel uses the air bags to level, so no jacks. A couple of times I've been in a place where I had to put some 2x6 planks under one end or the other in order to level. Remember that the entire tire footprint needs to be on whatever you are putting under the tires.

For those who have jacks, remember that if you have 8" diameter pads on four jacks, and your coach weighs 30,000 pounds, you have 150 pounds per square inch. If you are on soft ground you can find yourself just pushing your jacks into the ground if you don't put something under the jacks to spread the weight.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Thanks Mr D. That kind of information is helpful. If there are reasons NOT to do this, it only helps if I know what those reasons are, and why it may damage something in the process. I suspect a call to Fleetwood might be a good idea. As long as the shocks and suspension will take the stress, I would hope it won't be a problem. I would think it's basically the weight of the wheels and springs. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Thanks Mr D. That kind of information is helpful. If there are reasons NOT to do this, it only helps if I know what those reasons are, and why it may damage something in the process. I suspect a call to Fleetwood might be a good idea. As long as the shocks and suspension will take the stress, I would hope it won't be a problem. I would think it's basically the weight of the wheels and springs. Chuck
Sometimes the suspension itself will be the overtravel stop or maybe just the shocks. If it's the shocks they might be damaged by the weight. That's why I checked with everyone concerned with the IFS suspension. Our present rig has air leveling and I wish it had both air and jacks.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

From what I've read on this subject (irv2.com and other RV forums) solid axle front suspension chassis should not lift the wheels off the ground. IFS says OK, as Mr. D posted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

I don't like the idea of it regardless of suspension type, but I would definitely not lift the rear off the ground due to parking brakes only being on the rears.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
From what I've read on this subject (irv2.com and other RV forums) solid axle front suspension chassis should not lift the wheels off the ground. IFS says OK, as Mr. D posted.
I wouldn't take what I posted as a "blanket" statement!!
In my case I checked with all the component manufacturers before I did it. Others may find differently.
If I had had Bilstein shocks it might have been different, I don't know because I didn't need to check with them.
Each owner needs to check with their specific manufacturer.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

You are going to get all kinds of answers to this but this is my take. Yes the jacks can handle the weight and no it probably will not damage anything. But, it is not going to damage anything by driving the tires up on some other supporting blocks to take some of the strain off the other components. And, if you are walking around inside then it is going to be more stable with the wheels on the ground as well as the jacks since you now have 2 more contact points for stability. It is like a lot of things, it probably wont hurt anything but it surely isn't going to help anything by hanging your front end out in space.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Wheels Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
It probably wont hurt anything but it surely isn't going to help anything by hanging your front end out in space.
530ktm said,

"Like a lot of things, it probably wont hurt anything but it surely isn't going to help anything by hanging your front end out in space."

---—----------—---------—--------

The OP said his front tires were "off the ground about an inch" - now I'd hardly call that "hanging your front end out in space"

LoL
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

What does your owners manual say?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #13

Just a thought.

Are you using auto level or manual?

The lci system on our Damon puts 2" -3" of 'pre' lift on as it sets it's self up for auto levelling. Using the manul function I can remove this, I don't like wheels of the ground.
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now why didn't I think of trying that? Must be unconscious laziness on my part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgey View Post
Just a thought.

Are you using auto level or manual?

The lci system on our Damon puts 2" -3" of 'pre' lift on as it sets it's self up for auto levelling. Using the manul function I can remove this, I don't like wheels of the ground.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote