Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I sure hope you are wrong about the AARP/HARTFORD full-time policy thing. I just went in and checked. I Do have fulltimers coverage. It is defined by a RV owner who spend the majority of their time living in RV and do not have a homeowner's policy that covers their contents. You have to choose the level of coverage for you possessions and pay for it.
The Fulltimers coverage only applies to the contents of motorhome. I originally got the coverage in 2013. I just checked my policy renewal last year and it still has the fulltimers option. It also includes loss of use for up to 30 days.
You should call them back.
Perhaps they stopped writing new policies and just have the existing ones to deal with.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #16

In my opinion, you're too hung up on definitions. The real question should be when is the extra coverage of a fulltimers policy going to benefit you.
But the BlueSky info shown above is used by most of the insurance companies I've dealt with. Keep in mind that at the agent level, their training is mostly for selling. Its the Underwriter level who has all the details about specialty coverages and fine print of the policy. Its also the underwriter who's going to decide to accept or deny your claims.

1) you want fulltimers coverage when you no longer have a sticks & bricks house with a homeowners policy. Once that homeowners policy is dropped, you have a significant gap in liability protection, not filled by the typical vehicle type policy. Even with the extra liability coverage in a fulltimers policy, you should also consider an umbrella liability policy (assuming you have some assets worth protecting).
2) you want fulltimers coverage when your circumstances & use of the RV could be used to deny a claim, since you haven't been honest with your underwriter. Almost all RV policies I've reviewed have the fine print limitation of 5 months per year. So when the insurance company finds out you're living in the RV year round, and only insuring it as a vehicle, you've given them a free out from covering any claim.
3) You want fulltimers coverage when you load all your worldly possessions into the RV. The "contents" coverage limit of the typical vehicle policy won't come close to covering the "contents" of a Fulltimer.
So I hope that helps you understand that the key point is that you want the fulltimers coverages when they benefit you; not just when your underwriter says you must have them.

"" I'm not interested in MY definition, I am interested in THEIR definition, which the insurance companies I have spoken to so far have been either unable, or unwilling to convey to me! ""

Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Lots of good responses, especially the verbiage on the Blue Sky policy. What frustrates me on THAT definition is that if we have a domicile (S & B), but use the RV for more than 42% of the year (5 months) than we would end up having to have TWO policies BOTH of which would be charging us premiums for liability as if we were "Full Timing" in both residences . . . Or am I reading that wrong? So if I am involved in a non auto incident where someones property is damaged and I get sued, than BOTH policy companies will probably try and deny coverage, arguing that the OTHER insurance is the primary coverage . . . .
When we first bought our house we still lived in the motor home most of the year. It wasn't easy to find an insurance company that would insure the house since no one would be living in it for several months each year. Our local agent/broker found one that insured it as a summer home. The cost was quite a bit higher than a regular policy.
Many people don't realize that many/most? companies will cancel your policy if they know no one is there for extended periods of time.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

I agree, its important to discuss any significant lifestyle or type of use change that can effect coverage with your agent or a new independent agent who can review your needs with multiple carriers.
I have 3 part time homes that are all empty for at least 6 months of the year. No problem getting them all covered as "seasonal homes". The premium may be slightly higher, but the cost of a claim denial because you never told your underwriter that it was a seasonal, will be much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Our local agent/broker found one that insured it as a summer home. The cost was quite a bit higher than a regular policy.
Many people don't realize that many/most? companies will cancel your policy if they know no one is there for extended periods of time.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

This has been interesting! Last year when we transitioned to part time (e.g. we bought a S&B and spend some time in it each year. We are still finding out what "some time" in it means to us! I called Explorer Insurance, the broker for our National Interstate policy, and found out the policy went up in price because I was not full time! I was not happy about it but it was not very much and I have had a full plate with other things so have not shopped around! The agent said if we spent less then 6 months in the RV we were not full time. I thought that was a simplistic view but as I said the cost difference was insignificant except as an irritant!
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting as we have hartford AARP insurance on car MH and House. and we are not Full time yet .. (at least we still maintain our S/B) I just got the renewal This week and in with it was info on Fulltimers Insurance "If we Don't have Home insurance" Seems pretty current of a offer to me.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
I agree, its important to discuss any significant lifestyle or type of use change that can effect coverage with your agent or a new independent agent who can review your needs with multiple carriers.
I have 3 part time homes that are all empty for at least 6 months of the year. No problem getting them all covered as "seasonal homes". The premium may be slightly higher, but the cost of a claim denial because you never told your underwriter that it was a seasonal, will be much higher.
It was seasonal not summer.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
... What frustrates me on THAT definition is that if we have a domicile (S & B), but use the RV for more than 42% of the year (5 months) than we would end up having to have TWO policies BOTH of which would be charging us premiums for liability as if we were "Full Timing" in both residences . . . .
You need to split the personal liability and the property coverage, both in your mind and in the policy.

If you own a home you presumably have personal liability coverage that protects us for stupid things we do off the residence property as well as accidents on the property. A common example I use, you accidentally zonk one of your golf buddies on the noggin while demonstrating your awesome stance and swing. Your homeowners policy protects you. You do not need to duplicate that on your RV policy, regardless of how many days a year you use it. Your homeowners policy probably also covers personal property you have with you in the RV.

An insurance company will be interested in how much the RV is typically used, however, regardless of whether or not you request the full timer liability coverage. The more use, the more exposure to physical damage. The typical RV is out of its storage/parking space no more than 30 days of the year, and most of that time its just parked somewhere other than next to your garage. If use is 5 months of the year there is greater exposure to both road hazards and accidents that will cause damage to the RV. Maybe a stove top fire, or damage from a bad electrical box. Regardless, the exposure is much higher.

You should not have to duplicate coverage, just be sure you know what you have.

When you see a "full-timer insurance" discussion, 99% of the time we're talking about someone that no longer owns or rents a home, thus has no homeowners or renters policy from which to draw the LIABILITY part of the equation (as well as the PERSONAL PROPERTY protection).

For what its worth, I've been completing multiple insurance quote requests and RV financing forms of late, seems the categories are typically broken down as something like; less than 30 days, 30 to 45 days, and so on, with the last/highest use category seemingly always "more than 150 days per year".
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I sure hope you are wrong about the AARP/HARTFORD full-time policy thing. I just went in and checked. I Do have fulltimers coverage. It is defined by a RV owner who spend the majority of their time living in RV and do not have a homeowner's policy that covers their contents. You have to choose the level of coverage for you possessions and pay for it.
The Fulltimers coverage only applies to the contents of motorhome. I originally got the coverage in 2013. I just checked my policy renewal last year and it still has the fulltimers option. It also includes loss of use for up to 30 days.
You should call them back.
You state it covers the contents of your RV and that's fine but that is only one part of the coverage. are you covered for liability. If I come and am injured on you steps because they are faulty is your insurance company going to pay for my medical expenses. If someone comes on your campsite and is injured by your awning are you covered?? That's the type of question you need to ask your insurance company. If not then you do not have a true fulltimers policy. At that point you need to find a company that knows what you are talking about.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A "Fulltimers" endorsement, which is in my policy, would cover liability. The exclusions are where I determine what's covered.
I guess I was lucky, because I questioned the representative extensively, and they even referred me to one of the underwriters. With the opportunity to talk to one of them, I was able to do the what-ifs.
Before I went full-time, I had Progressive. Their limit of use were under 30 days and over 30 days. The premium increase was more than I thought it should be so I shopped around. AARP was the best, less than $600 per year. Now, my RV is 16 years old, and I put 100/300,000 liability coverage on it. I did not go the 500/1 million route.
I have full glass coverage, 15k in personal property contents which is more than enough.
If it burnt down, I would get ACV plus the contents. As long as I'm not in it, that's fine with me.
I keep my RV and all safety items perfectly maintained. If someone runs into my awning, it's their problem.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
... are you covered for liability. If I come and am injured on you steps because they are faulty is your insurance company going to pay for my medical expenses. If someone comes on your campsite and is injured by your awning are you covered?? ...
This comment prompts me to discuss the difference between the liability coverage provided with your RV policy and a PERSONAL liability coverage.

The RV policy most of us have will protect you against claims made by others for injuries sustained on your broken RV step, or if you drop the awning on their head. What it will not protect you from is liability claims not directly connected to the use of the RV. This could be a physical injury, such as the golf club incident example I gave earlier, or a claim against you for slander, or a myriad of other harms others may claim you caused them.

What we loose, when we go full time, is the personal liability piece of the pie.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
What we loose, when we go full time, is the personal liability piece of the pie.
Unless, of course, you get Fulltimer's coverage for your RV. The Fulltimer's addon to the standard policy gets you that personal liability coverage.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
I called Blue Sky to day and updated my policy to full time use of our motorhome. Cost $98 a year. Well worth it not to have to worry about what is meant by Full Time and would I be covered if I hadn't informed them of the change.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
AARP/Hartford
"Fulltimers coverage- If you travel most of the year and as a result, don't have homeowners coverage for your personal belongings, coverage is now available for the contents of your motor home."
Known as Motor home Personal Liability Coverage and Specified Perils Personal Effects Coverage

tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer