Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

National Interstate had a definition: More than 150 nights/year in the RV.

In the absence of a definition form the insurer, I would use a common sense approach. If I had another, second, home (owned or leased), I would say that obviously I am not "full time" in either one and thus not a "fulltimer". If I did not, I would have to say the RV is my "full time" home. Staying in a motel or with a friend is considered a "visit" rather than a residence.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
When it comes to Coach Insurance, at what point are you considered to be "full timers"? I mean if you stay 30 days in hotels, friends places in a 1 year period, are you still "full timing" it for insurance purposes?

The Hartford thru AARP says that they do not insure "Full Timers", but the don't seem to have a clear definition of what a "Full Timer" is.

• Does it mean that you don't have a brick and mortar?
  • Does it mean over a certain number of nights spent in your coach per year?
  • Does it mean that you use a mail forwarding service?
I asked this question of National General, Progressive, and Hartford, and no one really had any answers. I was told things like, "It depends on whether on not you own the land your RV is on!" hmmmm, lets see, they have wheels and engines, and it is on a LOT of land, so I guess not.

Or, is your coach the only "home" claimed on your taxes, well, since our house is paid off, then the only "home" I claim is my RV, except for property taxes, so that one could be interpreted either way!

Or "do you consider yourself to be "Full Timers"? Okay, first I would have to know the definition of "Full Timer" which they have just asked me, by extension, to define . . . .

I'm not interested in MY definition, I am interested in THEIR definition, which the insurance companies I have spoken to so far have been either unable, or unwilling to convey to me!

Bottom line, no, we are not at this time what anyone could consider "Full Timers", but I would like to know for the future so that I don't get insurance as some point that is NOT "Full Timer" insurance, and then find out when my coach is destroyed by a meteor strike that it's not covered because the reason that the location of the coach and the meteor coincided is because we were "Full Timers" by a not previously disclosed definition!
I know this a year old, but your statements/questions are exactly what I would like to know, as well. We're you ever able to get any answers and which insurance actually gave a real, consistent answer? Thank you!

Old 04-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #31

The only one who is qualified to define "full-timer" is your insurance company, anything/one else doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
A "Fulltimers" endorsement, which is in my policy, would cover liability. The exclusions are where I determine what's covered.
I guess I was lucky, because I questioned the representative extensively, and they even referred me to one of the underwriters. With the opportunity to talk to one of them, I was able to do the what-ifs.
Before I went full-time, I had Progressive. Their limit of use were under 30 days and over 30 days. The premium increase was more than I thought it should be so I shopped around. AARP was the best, less than $600 per year. Now, my RV is 16 years old, and I put 100/300,000 liability coverage on it. I did not go the 500/1 million route.
I have full glass coverage, 15k in personal property contents which is more than enough.
If it burnt down, I would get ACV plus the contents. As long as I'm not in it, that's fine with me.
I keep my RV and all safety items perfectly maintained. If someone runs into my awning, it's their problem.
What I highlighted in your post has a catch, you must be able to show proof of the amount you claim in most instances.
For instance, your wife has $8,000 of jewelry in your RV when it was destroyed, got receipts or appraisals? I just went through this with our ins. agent last month while discussing changes made to our policy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

It's entirely up to the insurers definition. National Interstate says "150 nights per year" constitutes full time usage for the purpose of their policy. Others will differ. Generally it's just a difference in premiums, but some companies may include different coverages as well.

Some companies may offer what is often called "fulltimer's liability" or "campground liability". That is liability insurance that protects you if somebody gets injured while the RV is parked (the vehicle liability covers you on the highway). You probably don't need that if you also have homeowneres or apartment dwellers insurance at home, but fulltime RVers generally do not have that.

Fulltime Rvers probably also want additional personal property coverage, since all your worldly goods are likely in the RV. Again, that is typically a separately quoted coverage in the policy. Those who have a homeowner policy probably already have personal property coverage, but fulltimers will want to buy this feature or increase the coverage amount.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer