Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

When are we considered "full timers"?

When it comes to Coach Insurance, at what point are you considered to be "full timers"? I mean if you stay 30 days in hotels, friends places in a 1 year period, are you still "full timing" it for insurance purposes?

The Hartford thru AARP says that they do not insure "Full Timers", but the don't seem to have a clear definition of what a "Full Timer" is.

• Does it mean that you don't have a brick and mortar?
  • Does it mean over a certain number of nights spent in your coach per year?
  • Does it mean that you use a mail forwarding service?
I asked this question of National General, Progressive, and Hartford, and no one really had any answers. I was told things like, "It depends on whether on not you own the land your RV is on!" hmmmm, lets see, they have wheels and engines, and it is on a LOT of land, so I guess not.

Or, is your coach the only "home" claimed on your taxes, well, since our house is paid off, then the only "home" I claim is my RV, except for property taxes, so that one could be interpreted either way!

Or "do you consider yourself to be "Full Timers"? Okay, first I would have to know the definition of "Full Timer" which they have just asked me, by extension, to define . . . .

I'm not interested in MY definition, I am interested in THEIR definition, which the insurance companies I have spoken to so far have been either unable, or unwilling to convey to me!

Bottom line, no, we are not at this time what anyone could consider "Full Timers", but I would like to know for the future so that I don't get insurance as some point that is NOT "Full Timer" insurance, and then find out when my coach is destroyed by a meteor strike that it's not covered because the reason that the location of the coach and the meteor coincided is because we were "Full Timers" by a not previously disclosed definition!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
imho, if, when you go home, it's to your rv
i.e. your rv is your only 'home' and
you live in it full time

just like my S&B is my home, even though I vacation elsewhere for 3 months... it's still my home...

Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
When you have no other home, you're a full-timer. Hotels, friend's guest rooms, etc don't count.

Or, to put it another way, if you have no other insured residence (homeowner or renter's insurance) then you're a full-timer. And that's really important, because most people get their basic liability insurance from their homeowner/renter insurance. If you don't have one of those, then you need a full-timer package on your RV insurance that includes it.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My insurance company never asked me.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
When you have no other home, you're a full-timer. Hotels, friend's guest rooms, etc don't count.

Or, to put it another way, if you have no other insured residence (homeowner or renter's insurance) then you're a full-timer. And that's really important, because most people get their basic liability insurance from their homeowner/renter insurance. If you don't have one of those, then you need a full-timer package on your RV insurance that includes it.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. My liability insurance coverage is currently with our S & B if I get sued. Any recommendations for insurance companies for "Only Homers"? Sounds more descriptive than "Full Timers"!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the definition of Full Timers from my Blue Sky policy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	120263  
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

We have nothing in storage, sold our house, domiciled in a state of our choice. We are fulltime in our opinion. Our insurance rates increased because of this.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

If you live in your RV fulltime your are a fulltimer. Hotel stays and the like do not count. You can own a house, condo or the like and still be a fulltimer.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Understanding "Fulltimers Insurance" is a question of a liability.
When you own and reside in your home your homeowners insurance provides liability for people and or inanimate objects owned by others that are hurt or damaged as a result of of something that happens on or in your property. An example is that your visitor falls and is injured on your front steps..it also covers your personal property
By extension, in general, that liability coverage will extend to your RV
Please note that if you own a property but don't reside there, as in maybe you have a tenant , your liability coverage changes.
So you have sold, or moved out of, and no longer legally reside in this home.. And have moved into you RV and it has become what you live in.
The insurance changes to an Auto Insurance Company. They don't generally care if it moves or sits in a park for a year.
This is when " fulltimers" insurance comes into play. The general coverages, just like on your car, remain. Fulltimers is a liability portion of your policy. It covers you in much the same way your homeowners would as we first discussed. It usually also provides your personal property coverage.
If you have called your insurance company, spoken to the dept that covers RVs, and they don't understand what your asking for then they don't offer it.. Simple as that. I can almost gaureentee that the Hartford does not
Progressive does offer it, as does GEICO. There are a host of others some only offered via an agency. You need to be clear with who you speak to that you want there RV dept.

Last but not least it does not matter if you spend time in hotels, friends, parents etc. Once you move in with no other place you are a fulltime RVer
Not having the appropriate liability coverage is asking for trouble
Just so you understand , your legal address is your domicile and it is where for insurance purpose it is principle "garaged". Where you are domiciled will help determine you insurance rate
Hope that helps
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
That's a good point that I hadn't considered. My liability insurance coverage is currently with our S & B if I get sued. Any recommendations for insurance companies for "Only Homers"? Sounds more descriptive than "Full Timers"!
I use FCIS: FCIS Insurance - Iowa Life, Auto, RV and Pet Insurance Company

They understand full-timers coverage.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #11

Lots of good responses, especially the verbiage on the Blue Sky policy. What frustrates me on THAT definition is that if we have a domicile (S & B), but use the RV for more than 42% of the year (5 months) than we would end up having to have TWO policies BOTH of which would be charging us premiums for liability as if we were "Full Timing" in both residences . . . Or am I reading that wrong? So if I am involved in a non auto incident where someones property is damaged and I get sued, than BOTH policy companies will probably try and deny coverage, arguing that the OTHER insurance is the primary coverage . . . .
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Lots of good responses, especially the verbiage on the Blue Sky policy. What frustrates me on THAT definition is that if we have a domicile (S & B), but use the RV for more than 42% of the year (5 months) than we would end up having to have TWO policies BOTH of which would be charging us premiums for liability as if we were "Full Timing" in both residences . . . Or am I reading that wrong? So if I am involved in a non auto incident where someones property is damaged and I get sued, than BOTH policy companies will probably try and deny coverage, arguing that the OTHER insurance is the primary coverage . . . .
Ha, that is the American way. I am not a fan of insurance companies as I am not a fan of banks.
That said I would rather have 2 policies and let them figure out who is primary than to not have any liability insurance when (notice I say when) something happens and I need it.
For those with their heads in the sand, you are playing with fire and think to yourself, when something happens am I willing to lose everything I have including my home (read RV) because I want to try and save a few hundred dollars per year?
Same as the masses who overload their coach. Let the insurance company find out you are overloaded and involved in an accident and they will deny coverage.
America is a great place to live. It is way too litigious for my liking.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:

I'm not interested in MY definition, I am interested in THEIR definition, which the insurance companies I have spoken to so far have been either unable, or unwilling to convey to me!
NOR should you be interested in what anyone here on the forum considers THEIR definition of what a "full-timer" is! The ONLY thing that matters is what THE INSURANCE company defines as a "full-timer"

You have only contacted companies that obviously DON'T cover full-timers, National Interstate does, as one example. Perhaps others can provide additional companies that also cover full-times or have optional coverage for them.

Good Luck, hope others can provide other "full-timer" insurance companies, and please remember, people who post their opinions and definitions will not be standing along side you in court. It will just be you and the insurance company and if YOUR definition of a full-timer doesn't match THEIR definition of a full-timer, then you ain't one!

Plus, Nana25K's response, above, hit the nail right on the head!!!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
When it comes to Coach Insurance, at what point are you considered to be "full timers"? I mean if you stay 30 days in hotels, friends places in a 1 year period, are you still "full timing" it for insurance purposes?

The Hartford thru AARP says that they do not insure "Full Timers", but the don't seem to have a clear definition of what a "Full Timer" is.

• Does it mean that you don't have a brick and mortar?
  • Does it mean over a certain number of nights spent in your coach per year?
  • Does it mean that you use a mail forwarding service?
I asked this question of National General, Progressive, and Hartford, and no one really had any answers. I was told things like, "It depends on whether on not you own the land your RV is on!" hmmmm, lets see, they have wheels and engines, and it is on a LOT of land, so I guess not.

Or, is your coach the only "home" claimed on your taxes, well, since our house is paid off, then the only "home" I claim is my RV, except for property taxes, so that one could be interpreted either way!

Or "do you consider yourself to be "Full Timers"? Okay, first I would have to know the definition of "Full Timer" which they have just asked me, by extension, to define . . . .

Bottom line, no, we are not at this time what anyone could consider "Full Timers", but I would like to know for the future so that I don't get insurance as some point that is NOT "Full Timer" insurance, and then find out when my coach is destroyed by a meteor strike that it's not covered because the reason that the location of the coach and the meteor coincided is because we were "Full Timers" by a not previously disclosed definition!
I sure hope you are wrong about the AARP/HARTFORD full-time policy thing. I just went in and checked. I Do have fulltimers coverage. It is defined by a RV owner who spend the majority of their time living in RV and do not have a homeowner's policy that covers their contents. You have to choose the level of coverage for you possessions and pay for it.
The Fulltimers coverage only applies to the contents of motorhome. I originally got the coverage in 2013. I just checked my policy renewal last year and it still has the fulltimers option. It also includes loss of use for up to 30 days.
You should call them back.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer