Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #15

When you think about it.....they all dump once you are leveling.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
When you think about it.....they all dump once you are leveling.
Our 08 DP Bounder has air suspension and hydraulic levelers. When we pull into a site, with the engine running, I flip the lever to lower the air. Once the coach is lowered, I lower the Jacks with engine running... once level, and again with engine running, the slides go out.

If the air bags are full, the jacks have to extend much further than they would otherwise. And may not even be long enough to level the coach. And I suspect it's not good for the air bags either. They're tough as nails but they do need to be properly seated. When they reseat you know it.

As stated above - coach specifics vary. I follow the instructions for our set up and that's the only way to fly.

I know some require the slides come out before leveling and I've never quite figured out why. Seems you would want the box level before deploying the slides, but that's just my opinion.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Our 08 DP Bounder has air suspension and hydraulic levelers. When we pull into a site, with the engine running, I flip the lever to lower the air. Once the coach is lowered, I lower the Jacks with engine running... once level, and again with engine running, the slides go out.

If the air bags are full, the jacks have to extend much further than they would otherwise. And may not even be long enough to level the coach. And I suspect it's not good for the air bags either. They're tough as nails but they do need to be properly seated. When they reseat you know it.

As stated above - coach specifics vary. I follow the instructions for our set up and that's the only way to fly.

I know some require the slides come out before leveling and I've never quite figured out why. Seems you would want the box level before deploying the slides, but that's just my opinion.
Somehow the pics didn't attach..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438360435169.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	101669   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438360451750.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	101670  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All of the answers in this thread are correct - at least when applied to the individual poster's own rig. But the answer may or not apply to your rig.

For example, on mine, I have to manually dump air (it's not tied into the jack controller) and I can't have the engine running when running the jacks because the engine will try to build up air as fast as it's dumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Some systems automatically dump air and do the leveling, while others have more manual controls. Some do not dump air at all except via a manual switch. Have Nexus explain what their particular system does and how they recommend it be used. After you get some experience you may want to deviate in some circumstances, but that's for later on.
And this is the best answer in the thread.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No need to overthink this question - the differences are slight and in most cases there are interlocks to prevent anything that could actually damage the system.

With the engine running, the air compressor will be trying to fill the air suspension system (it takes awhile), but you also have the engine alternator supply 12v power to run the jack system (whether its hydraulic or electric-only), so thera re both cons and pros to having the engine on.

Some systems automatically dump air and do the leveling, while others have more manual controls. Some do not dump air at all except via a manual switch. Have Nexus explain what their particular system does and how they recommend it be used. After you get some experience you may want to deviate in some circumstances, but that's for later on.
Good advice. I've had two coaches with auto level systems from the same manufacturer, each operated differently:

- First coach, manually dumped air, then press "auto level." On this coach, I held the "dump air'' button down until leveling was complete. Otherwise, as soon as I released the button, the air system started filling up.
- Current coach, press "air" or "hydraulic" and it dumps air and levels using which every system selected.

On retracting jacks:
- First coach, press "retract" air comes up, jacks come up.
- Current coach, press "travel" air comes up, jacks (if down) come up.

I do all leveling with the engine running.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the HWH 625 manual leveling system on my coach. I shut off the engine, dump the air suspension, plug in the electrical and hook up my water and sewer and get whatever else I want out from the basement then extend the slides. My suspension dump is integrated into my leveling jacks pad. Storing, I bring in my slides then start the engine and hit the retract button on the pad. The jacks come up and the suspension springs begin to fill at that time I unplug from shore power while I'm waiting for the suspension to fill.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
All of the answers in this thread are correct - at least when applied to the individual poster's own rig. But the answer may or not apply to your rig.

For example, on mine, I have to manually dump air (it's not tied into the jack controller) and I can't have the engine running when running the jacks because the engine will try to build up air as fast as it's dumping.

And this is the best answer in the thread.
This is what I thought would happen and exactly what I did not want to happen as well. I hope they will have a smarter system than this... having said that, the only problem with shutting the engine down is the power to extend the jacks as with my gasser, I always have the engine running on both extend and retract to make sure of the same and adequate power. While the power is still coming from the batteries, having the system in the charging mode....ie engine or generator running, I would think this would be less stress on them even though its only for a moment and still usually after some distance of a drive to extend them but I could be in one place for say 10 days boon docking and the batteries will invariably not be the same even on solar unless the engine or gen set is running on retract. I pick it up in two weeks....ready to be schooled.

WDK
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #22

"Have Nexus explain what their particular system does and how they recommend it be used. After you get some experience you may want to deviate in some circumstances, but that's for later on."

...thank you Gary, good advice and my thoughts though I will "probably" stick with what ever that say is best as it corresponds with the manual but there is no dismissing all the input here...I am hoping for a smart automatic system so that I am not racing the air bags but if it does not work like that I will surely use some variation of what I have learned here.

WDK
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
On my particular coach:

With engine running dump air and manually level coach.

To retract, with engine running air up and then raise jacks.

This procedure achieves level with minimum height that coach must be raised and provides for the smoothest jack operation. My jacks chatter (bounces) during retraction sometimes. The engine running provides maximum DC voltage to jacks.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
On my particular coach:

With engine running dump air and manually level coach.

To retract, with engine running air up and then raise jacks.

This procedure achieves level with minimum height that coach must be raised and provides for the smoothest jack operation. My jacks chatter (bounces) during retraction sometimes. The engine running provides maximum DC voltage to jacks.
It would seem with his procedure on retraction, your racing to get the jacks up, engine running, before the air bags fill up......I have read here that the air bags once full can raise the coach almost beyond the length of the jacks or am I missing something here?

WDK
Old 08-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
It would seem with his procedure on retraction, your racing to get the jacks up, engine running, before the air bags fill up......I have read here that the air bags once full can raise the coach almost beyond the length of the jacks or am I missing something here?

WDK
To retract the jacks, with the engine running, I air up and then retract. This procedure extends the air bags before raising the jacks. It only is effective if one waits for the bags to fully inflate before starting the retract.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #26

WillandJane,
Well, when you get done shaking your head at all the advice, you'll realize that what has been stated about having Nexus inform you of the correct procedure is the ONLY way to go. It really doesn't matter what most of the other folks do and or, their procedure. I probably shouldn't say that but, there's always folks who "deviate" from written procedure on many operations.

While you state you haven't received or, seen the owners manual yet, I'm wondering, if you call Nexus, or, whomever your contact is for your new coach, and simply ask them for the maker of, and model of, your leveling system in your new coach. Then, if they don't have the capability of issuing you an owners manual, ahead of issuing you of the coach, maybe you can then look it up on line and or, maybe call the manufacturer of the leveling system that will be installed in your coach.

Maybe they can email you a copy of the operational procedures for the model of leveling system that is or, will be installed in your coach. That way, you'll know EXACTLY how it operates and, all related procedures.

Now, having said all that, I don't think that I've read, in any of the answers, the actual reason that most diesel, air bagged coaches, will CONTINUE to try and keep filling the bags, if the leveling system is being deployed AND, the engine is still running.

Based on the procedures outlined in the Operations and Trouble Shooting manuals I have for our HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling system, they explain that there are TWO methods of depleting the air bags, prior to the lowering of the jacks.

One method allows the engine to be kept running, the other specifically states that the engine be off and, the ignition be in either the "Start" or, the "ACC" position. And the main reason for keeping the engine off in one of the modes of leveling is because of the RIDE HEIGHT SENSORS.

If the wrong method of leveling is used, then as the bags are trying to be depleted, and the engine is left running, that means the ignition is on and, the ride height sensors will try and compensate for the incorrect measurement they see. When they see that, they will constantly try and re-fill the bags. So, that's why these things do what they do, in certain operations.

What you'd like to see as and operation and, what actually is called for, may be two different things here. But, only you and your owners manual will see for sure. I'm not sure how often these leveling systems change operations and procedures but, many have told you how "their" system works or, at least how they operate it. Will it be the same as yours? Who knows?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #27

As others have stated, just follow the manufacturers directions. If you do not have the manuals, just go to the manufacturers web site to get instructions.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You'll have to see how Nexus wants it done, but here are some things to think about. I've had two DP's with different systems yet they were similar in operation. "DD788Snipe" hit on something I think is important, especially as you get older or have a bad back. I park my coach in my campsite, shut it down and then connect the water, sewer and power while the slides are in so I don't have to bend under them. This also adds a power supply to your coach when operating the slides. When I'm boondocking, I start the generator because I need the power for my satellite antenna to operate.

Monaco wanted their slides extended before leveling because the opening was sitting square on the chassis. Other brands do it differently. This point as been argued many times and really doesn't pertain to this.

Once everything is connected, I would either extend my slides or dump the air, depending on what your manufacturer wants done first. The purpose of dumping the air is to get the coach close to the ground to make the jacks more stable and the steps closer to the ground.

When we depart, I like to bring my slides in while still connected to power. Once they're in, I start the coach. While the coach is building air, I disconnect my power cord, water and sewer. About the time I'm done, I climb back in the coach and retract the jacks. If yours will work this way, I retract the jacks after the coach airs up because you don't get that sudden drop if you retract while the air is out. Typically, with the coach aired up, the jacks are off the ground and you don't even know or feel them retracting.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote