Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #1

When do you retract stabilizers?

On my gas coach....I always put down and retracted my stabilizers with the engine running....now going to a diesel...I have been reading that most put down their stabilizers after dumping the air bags engine running, does that mean you raise them while the engine is running before the air bags fill up as I am thinking that the bags fill up automatically or can you can control that....ie raise your stabilizers and close a valve so the air bags can fill?

WDK

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

I am not and expert here, just went Class A DP 3 months ago..... I suspect this is different per coach brand,,,, maybe more specific to the brand of leveling system used. Mine is Equalizer Systems.

On my coach we shutdown, then level. I do not have a dump air valve, it is automatically controlled by the equalizer leveling system. It dumps my air, deploys the jack and levels, with a push of one button.

When leaving, I've learned the following. If I retract the jacks with the engine off, my suspension will not air up. At all, no matter if air is available or not. The valve don't open. If I retracted jacks without the engine running,once the engine is started, I have to hit retract again. The system will attempt to retract the jacks again, and during that process open the suspension valve. If I retract with the engine running in the first attempt, all is good. Jacks retract, suspension airs, I am ready for the road.

Hope that makes sense. I level with engine off. I retract with engine running.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is different for different coaches, and you should follow the procedure in the owner's manual.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #4

....well I have not gotten the owners mannuel yet and though I should be able to adorb enough in the three days of walk through as I am picking it up factory direct from NeXas, I have a two thousand mile trip back to California and I am trying not to do too much wrong before I have time to get comfortable with the system.

WDK
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

We don't have an air dump.
I don't think ours will work with the engine off.
So we get on the jacks with the engine running. They will retract with engine off. (I suspect this is a pto driven hydraulic pump on the engine). So sometimes we retract with engine still off. But running the engine while I pick up the pads gives just a little warm up time.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are unsure. Why not make the2000 mile trip and forget about leveling.
I don't have air bags or hydraulic leveling. We park on level spots and all is well.
Unless you get advise from somebody with th identical unit. You might be taking a risk. Those systems are very expensive to repair.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We usually dump the air from the bags then level with the engine running. then shut down and open the slides. Leaving we start the engine, bring in the slides and switch the air bags to normal then retract. My airbags will fill if I take off the parking brake as a safety measure so as not to go down the highway without the bags aired. BUT check your owners manual or look for it on line.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
If you can video your entire walk through. Then you will be able to "recall" everything!
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
If you can video your entire walk through. Then you will be able to "recall" everything!
I second that suggestion. You don't have to video every second of it, but the critical parts of how to setup and operate various systems is very helpful.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

Our procedure is the same as Lloyd's ... but as stated, they're not all the same ... it's a great question during your walk through ... hopefully the person doing that knows your coach ... but definitely refer to the manual ....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

No need to overthink this question - the differences are slight and in most cases there are interlocks to prevent anything that could actually damage the system.

With the engine running, the air compressor will be trying to fill the air suspension system (it takes awhile), but you also have the engine alternator supply 12v power to run the jack system (whether its hydraulic or electric-only), so thera re both cons and pros to having the engine on.

Some systems automatically dump air and do the leveling, while others have more manual controls. Some do not dump air at all except via a manual switch. Have Nexus explain what their particular system does and how they recommend it be used. After you get some experience you may want to deviate in some circumstances, but that's for later on.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
On my gas coach....I always put down and retracted my stabilizers with the engine running....now going to a diesel...I have been reading that most put down their stabilizers after dumping the air bags engine running, does that mean you raise them while the engine is running before the air bags fill up as I am thinking that the bags fill up automatically or can you can control that....ie raise your stabilizers and close a valve so the air bags can fill?

WDK
Make and model of your new coach would help you get right information.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If I am dumping air, (seldom do), I have the coach off. Otherwise me thinks the air would be filling as I am trying to dump.
So coach off, (key in ass position ), dump air, hit levelers.
I want to level with the coach "sat down".
Then when leaving I start the coach to air up and then retract the jacks.
That our procedure with the Monaco.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
We usually dump the air from the bags then level with the engine running. then shut down and open the slides. Leaving we start the engine, bring in the slides and switch the air bags to normal then retract. My airbags will fill if I take off the parking brake as a safety measure so as not to go down the highway without the bags aired. BUT check your owners manual or look for it on line.
....this seems exactly how I want my system to work. I am buying the new NeXas Bentley and as of now, there are only 8 on the road. I bought the 17th one in production so other than the good reviews I have not been able to talk to any owners. This company has been making Super C's like the Ghost and the viper and opened this class A product as of Jan this year. Thanks everyone, I will be recording the walk through by someone who helped build it though I am trying to get an idea of most of the concepts I have only a slight clue about before I get behind the wheel.

WDK