Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #15

The engine ran great and the only reason I replaced the heads was I had a exhaust donut gasket blow out. I had it in the shop to fix that and they found I had 3 broken exhaust studs on one the drivers side. 1 was in the open and the other 2 were behind the master cylinder and the body wire harness. In trying to drill out the studs they drilled one off center. I told them I needed my rig back as we were to go on vacation and when they gave it back to me they left off the spark plug heat shields and I got 10 miles and the wires melted off. Made it home and that's when I decide to just put the heads and have them rebuilt.

I already had the radiator, headers and muffler bought 3 years before and just never installed them.

So the engine is probably the least of my worries as now it really runs great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its always nice to have a flashy new motorhome. That being said, the basic systems and livability have not changed all that much. Yes flat screens are almost a must and other creature comforts and upgrades make things a bit nicer. I always find pride and self satisfaction knowing that I have kept a rig in top shape which it sounds like you have done. If it were me, I would keep driving her and upgrading with fun stuff that I like to call "man gadgets". Nothing like knowing every inch of your rig and being able to diagnose a problem or an upcoming issue just by the sound or feel. Lets face it, most of us on this forum make repairing and upgrading our rigs as much a hobby or more a hobby than actually camping or traveling. Sometimes when there is nothing left to do, we get bored and its time for another rig so we can fiddle with it. Hell! I spend more time on this forum than I do driving my motorhome LOL!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
The engine ran great and the only reason I replaced the heads was I had a exhaust donut gasket blow out. I had it in the shop to fix that and they found I had 3 broken exhaust studs on one the drivers side. 1 was in the open and the other 2 were behind the master cylinder and the body wire harness. In trying to drill out the studs they drilled one off center. I told them I needed my rig back as we were to go on vacation and when they gave it back to me they left off the spark plug heat shields and I got 10 miles and the wires melted off. Made it home and that's when I decide to just put the heads and have them rebuilt.

I already had the radiator, headers and muffler bought 3 years before and just never installed them.

Ive read about those exhaust studs, the 454 is a very reliable motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Its always nice to have a flashy new motorhome. That being said, the basic systems and livability have not changed all that much. Yes flat screens are almost a must and other creature comforts and upgrades make things a bit nicer. I always find pride and self satisfaction knowing that I have kept a rig in top shape which it sounds like you have done. If it were me, I would keep driving her and upgrading with fun stuff that I like to call "man gadgets". Nothing like knowing every inch of your rig and being able to diagnose a problem or an upcoming issue just by the sound or feel. Lets face it, most of us on this forum make repairing and upgrading our rigs as much a hobby or more a hobby than actually camping or traveling. Sometimes when there is nothing left to do, we get bored and its time for another rig so we can fiddle with it. Hell! I spend more time on this forum than I do driving my motorhome LOL!
Couldnt of said it any better
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When ever YOU decide to quit!
Or go broke.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post

Too late now but just FYI
In our shop we seldom drill a broken bolt out of a cylinder head. Unless someone has already drilled into the bolt and really screwed it up we Mig weld a stud onto the broken bolt and then weld a nut onto the stud so we can use a wrench to back the bolt out with. We do this quite often in the vehicle after relocating parts etc. which are in the way.
Our worst challenge is the head which comes in and someone has drilled the bolt off center then used an EZ Out and broken the EZ Out off in the hole. This creates a whole 'nother problem and can take a couple hours to remedy.
Sometimes more if there are more than 1 bolt like this.
A very common mistake is using a bolt extraction tool which is too small for the job. We see this all the time. These tools are hard and don't drill out. We have to chip them out before we can do anything with the broken bolt.
Lynn
Old 09-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #20

Same problem here, lifetime of building, fixing, upgrading while moving on to bigger models, now I feel I am ready for the downsizing part of the ladder, and with it will come modifying, fixing and making it "ours" but it will be easier to handle. My age is getting in the way of crawling under, climbing over and washing the acres of exterior.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #21

The studs were ether broken off flush or the shop that attempted to remove them cut them off flush with the head. Nothing to weld to. Your way is they way I was hoping to do until I got it home and saw what he did.
The only reason I took it to a shop was I didn't have enough time to work on it myself without taking off work. Blew out the donut gasket over July 4 holiday and our annual long vacation was scheduled for the last week in July.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #22

You already have a slide. That was about the last great improvement.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our 2000 Allegro in 2010. It's now 2015 and we've put maybe 1500 miles on it, it now has just over 38k total. Only money I've spent on her other than batteries, tires, oil and fuel, is a few bucks for a toilet gasket, and a few bucks to lengthen the kitchen sink drain hose (that was ludicrously tight with the slide in), and those $$ were spent 3 years ago. Almost forgot, $16 for a battery relay...

Being 15 years old doesn't even enter my mind, other than the stickers are fading. I AM going to change out the old TV's, already have the new ones, just need time to do it.

Like everyone else has said, sounds like the majority of your spent money was for chosen upgrades rather than repairs. Sound's like you have a dependable machine, and almost paid for.

Only advice I have is to spend your money on gasoline and just USE the thing!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Sounds like this is mostly upgrade money, normal maintenance costs, not dumping cash into a money pit that keeps breaking. The real question is, do you still like it and does it fill your needs?

My coach was brand new when we got it and we've replaced the couch, added satillite , exterior LED lights, getting ready to put in a new bedroom TV. I'll probably keep adding stuff for as long as we own it.

If you want something bigger,newer and it won't break the bank I'd say go for it. But it sounds like you've got this one just about where you want it.
ditto
Old 09-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have owned 5 coaches. I must have a mental problem. Every time I get the coach fixed up like I want it I trade it off and start all over. I believe that I am getting over my mental problem because I plan on keeping my current coach until I can't drive any more, I have learned my lesson.

Don
^^This. I am on my 3rd coach now and when I sold the previous two they were in as good if not better condition than when they left the factory. My wife mentioned the other day that we are NOT trading our current coach for several years yet as she loves it and it is almost paid off. I told her I had no intentions of selling her, but she mentioned that about the time I get something built to where I am happy with it, I get bored and sell it to purchase another one. I guess I had better keep this one a while yet.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Sounds like this is mostly upgrade money, normal maintenance costs, not dumping cash into a money pit that keeps breaking. The real question is, do you still like it and does it fill your needs?

My coach was brand new when we got it and we've replaced the couch, added satillite , exterior LED lights, getting ready to put in a new bedroom TV. I'll probably keep adding stuff for as long as we own it.

If you want something bigger,newer and it won't break the bank I'd say go for it. But it sounds like you've got this one just about where you want it.
This is exactly my thoughts as well. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have owned 5 coaches. I must have a mental problem. Every time I get the coach fixed up like I want it I trade it off and start all over. I believe that I am getting over my mental problem because I plan on keeping my current coach until I can't drive any more, I have learned my lesson.

Don
I have said exactly the same thing many times over the past 30 years. It has never worked, however.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #28

You have this coach in top mechanical shape. Anything you "upgrade" to might not be as reliable as what you have. You say it is tight when dressing in the bedroom. How much of the day do you spend dressing?? 10 minutes? Is there a way to swap the easy bed for something larger for the girls? If you go with an emotional decision, you will probably trade for a larger unit and start repairing and upgrading it. You will also add several years to your payment plan. Unless you can pay cash for the difference, I would keep what you know is reliable and pay it off. Debt free is a good feeling and you might not want to be tied to payments again. A different coach won't allow you to see anymore than what you can in the one you have.