Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #29

What are your needs? How much will you lose upgrading to newer? What will be repair costs for a newer rig? The smell of new is expensive but if it is what you need and want and it is affordable to you then so be it. Just be careful you don't get buried.

motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When do you stop putting $$$ into a motor home.. Two answers:

1: When you take money out of it (Sell it)
2: We are gathered here today in rememberance of our dearly departed friend ____(Insert your name here)____.

I should add.. the above also applies to a sticks and bricks house and in fact any place you chose to live OTHER Than a rented apartment.. With a rented apartment the options are

1: When you move
2: Same as above.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #31
HGC

When do you stop?

We felt just as you. Had a 1999 Rexhall Aerbus. It was in good shape when we bought it and was in better shape when traded in. Our new purchase was a 2014 Allegro 36LA and we felt it would be a good 10 yr. investment in reliability and time spent in upkeep. We were wrong and have spent 10x more time taking care of problems and dealer ineptness. Just because it is new doesn't mean reliability or better build quality.
My take on it; buy used off of an individual like yourself who enjoyed the maintenance and had cared for the unit like yourself.
You will avoid PDI fees and sales schemes like paint sealants, delivery fees, and all the scare tactics like extended warranties. Our final delivery was a joke. And the service and PDI didn't catch the loose connections on harnesses that caused failure of the slides and jacks. I could go on forever.
In short, if it worked for the previous owner it probably will work for you. And it would be a shorter learning curve with the help of the previous owner.
But of course you have your unit running well. The question is; do you value your money more than you value a new motorhome.
After cutting a check to the dealer for $120k, with all of the problems of this new unit, I wish I had my Rexhall back. My take!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
sounds like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have owned 5 coaches. I must have a mental problem. Every time I get the coach fixed up like I want it I trade it off and start all over. I believe that I am getting over my mental problem because I plan on keeping my current coach until I can't drive any more, I have learned my lesson.

Don
Sounds like me. I'm on my 9th Motor home since 1972. I am now 76 years old and the one I have now will be my last. I do enjoy fixing them up and making upgrades and Mods.
Mel
Old 09-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #33

All you people and you near new hardware.....
Doing maintenance isn't throwing money in.
Doing elective upgrades you want isn't throwing money in.
Getting repairs redone because the jerk you paid to do it the first time didn't do it right, that is throwing money in to the hole. Find a better shop or do it yourself.
Then, go enjoy the coach for what it can do for you. While you are doing that, think about all the restaurant meal and motel beds you are missing out on....

Matt
Old 09-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Piker, you described my relationship with my old Bounder perfectly.

1997 bouncer 35u
I love the mh more with every passing upgrade, wife maybe not
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442096342.500267.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	106709

Jerry and Donna
1997 FW Bounder 35U
Old 09-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maintenance is with you no matter what year of coach you own.

Elective upgrades are a matter of personal preference, regardless of the year of the coach.

Repair work is with you every mile on the road, regardless of the year of the coach.

I look at it another way. Interest payments on a new coach is thousands of dollars per year. It doesn't cost me thousands of dollars per year to keep my older coach running.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #36

We have some of the same thoughts. Should we get a smaller Class C diesel (29 feet) or keep the 39 foot diesel pusher we have? We have a 2004 Newmar and we worry about things like AC units, refrigerators, etc, going bad at some point. We looked at the Winnebago Class C diesels and found out that it would cost us about an additional $20K to purchase the Class C and then there would be the additional sales tax, licensing costs and insurance costs. We can do a lot of upgrading for that money.
The reason we were looking at this is we are going to bring the coach back to Newmar for some significant updates. The $20K difference takes into account the money we would be spending this year at Newmar. We wanted to figure if it is worth doing the updates.
It was eye opening to see what you do not get for the cost of the new Winnebago Class C. No levelers, no black tank flush, smaller tanks, smaller living space. There are some advantages such as lower maintenance costs, easier to fit into sites, better fuel mileage, new appliances and chassis.
I would sit down and create a spreadsheet with the costs for each in two columns. Be sure to include all costs, such as fuel, insurance, licensing, maintenance, tires, repairs, etc. Only then will you be able to make a good decision.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #37

I have to agree! The smell of new is expensive just in interest alone. If your needs demand a Áhange then so be it.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #38

There's something to be said for doing stuff just because you like it or want to.

DW: "What was wrong with our shocks?"
Reply: "Nothing. Word is these are better."

"What was wrong with our tank level sensors?"
"Nothing. Digital is cool, though."

"Why are you replacing the TV again?"
"This one is thinner."

And on and on and on. Grown up version of a hot rod in high school.

I ordered some new slide toppers.
"What's wrong with the old ones on there now?"
"Nothing. I happen to like the style of these new ones. They look sharp!"

If I reach the point that doing things to or on my coach reaches "PIA" status, then maybe I gotta rethink my chosen distractions.

In the meantime, there are soooo many products and improvements available - kid in a candy store, I tell ya what.l
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
There's something to be said for doing stuff just because you like it or want to.

DW: "What was wrong with our shocks?"
Reply: "Nothing. Word is these are better."

"What was wrong with our tank level sensors?"
"Nothing. Digital is cool, though."

"Why are you replacing the TV again?"
"This one is thinner."

And on and on and on. Grown up version of a hot rod in high school.

I ordered some new slide toppers.
"What's wrong with the old ones on there now?"
"Nothing. I happen to like the style of these new ones. They look sharp!"

If I reach the point that doing things to or on my coach reaches "PIA" status, then maybe I gotta rethink my chosen distractions.

In the meantime, there are soooo many products and improvements available - kid in a candy store, I tell ya what.l

As you buy the new mod's you need to apply my moto for such purchases. "Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission" It worked for me for over 53 years.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #40

DW and I are full timers and we knew up front that we were going to have to put $$ into a house on wheels on a regular basis. On the + side, we no longer put any $$ into a stick and brick house at all. So far, we are still good on the + side.

I hope no one goes into this life style thinking that it is a free ride. This is not unlike owning a boat; you are going to have to put $$ into it. If you don't know that, you are very naÔve (to put it politely).
Old 09-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #41

I know that I have to keep putting $$ into it for maintenance, upgrades, etc... but what I'm getting at is every year that I keep it and keep updating and/or start replacing major items (which none have failed yet) when do you say enough and sell/trade in for an newer model? Every year the value that I could get ether selling it outright or trading it in is going down. The dealer doesn't care what I've done to it, all they care about is the wholesale value and what they could sell it for. I could rebuild everything on the rig and it still doesn't really increase the value.

My wife and I have talked about just keeping ours and I could rebuild the whole front end for around $2,500 in parts and I could install a complete new interior, captains chairs, sofa, booth, side chair for $3,000+. Even after that it's still going to be a 96 worth around $15K-$18K maybe.

We looked at a 2007 35' Tiffin Allegro last week. A little higher payment sure and maybe would need some upgrades but its only 8 yrs old vs. ours at 19. The drivetrain is 8 yrs old instead of 19. Sure it's about $2,000 more a year in payments and I could put that $2000 into mine for upgrades and repairs but I've still got a 19 going on 20 yr old unit.

The 2007 was nice inside, lots of storage inside and out, loaded with options, longer than our 34' and bigger bedroom but it needed all new tires and the outside body fiberglass needed work in a few places. Front cap had repaired 15in crack, right side had rubbed up against something and the left rear has probably swung around and hit something. All fiberglass repair and paint. So right now we'll probably stay with ours.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post

We looked at a 2007 35' Tiffin Allegro last week. A little higher payment sure and maybe would need some upgrades but its only 8 yrs old vs. ours at 19. The drivetrain is 8 yrs old instead of 19. Sure it's about $2,000 more a year in payments and I could put that $2000 into mine for upgrades and repairs but I've still got a 19 going on 20 yr old unit.
I hope mine is still running when it's 19 years old!